Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

An Even Worse Pet Peeve

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post An Even Worse Pet Peeve Link
This is far worse than going to the front of a new line.

You buy an expensive phone, tablet, etc. You turn it on, hoping to use it, then you are hit with a massive end user license agreement and privacy policy, and you have to agree to them... sometimes even agree that you have read them, to proceed. These documents are written in micro print which are hard for you to read. They are black text on a light bulb white background with no option for dark mode. There is no way to look up the document on the company's website to use read-out-loud or accessibility options to reduce eye strain.

Samsung really has some nerve. In order to use 'Samsung Internet' they want you to agree to various terms of behavior, as if they owned the Internet or bore any legal liability for someone harassing others because they were using one of their phones.

I wish others would join me in making business decision based on the length of EULAs and contract. I'm probably paying a bit more for Internet over this now, and the fact that AT&T cancelled my phone number and Internet without my permission.

Organizations and individuals that rate products should knock two points off for excessively long contracts, especially if they put terms for products you aren't signing up for.

Maybe I could figure out a way to mobilize an army of people to buy millions i-Pads and cell phones and send them back because they don't work and the company did not do the reasonable thing-- give all the agreements to the customer before selling them the product. [/b]
Acts-perienced Poster
10/7/20 12:18 pm

Post Link, WRONG!!! Aaron Scott
First, this is NOT NEARLY SO BAD as my pet peeve. How dare you even compare the two. Yours is just inconvenient. Mine can cause a person to go the you-know-where!

BUT, THAT ASIDE....

Two things:

1) When it say "Have you read the...," well, yes. BUT I DIDN'T READ ALL OF IT. I DID READ SOME OF IT. So, yes.

2) Some years back, some guy got something from a credit card company. He had to sign and return the agreement. Well, being BRILLIANT, he was able to recreate the document and change some key words! Basically, he made it so that he would be charged no interest.

When he pointed this out later, they went to court. HE WON! The judge apparently figured that the whole small print thing was fair game for the matter.

Maybe you could try to hack the contract, CHANGE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE (e.g., a free phone each year, unlimited free replacement phones, no fee, full service on the phone, etc.)

Otherwise, go to the Samsung factor...AND SLAP THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF EVERY PERSON YOU SEE!

Yes, you are welcome.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/20 9:05 am

Post Re: Link, WRONG!!! Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
First, this is NOT NEARLY SO BAD as my pet peeve. How dare you even compare the two. Yours is just inconvenient. Mine can cause a person to go the you-know-where!

Show chapter and verse.

'Thou shalt not covet' my place in line when you are in the back of that other line because you were too slow to move.

Quote:

Two things:

1) When it say "Have you read the...," well, yes. BUT I DIDN'T READ ALL OF IT. I DID READ SOME OF IT. So, yes.

If the 'sign your soul to the Devil' clause is not in the part you read, then you might be in trouble. Another thing to consider is that God might hold your responsible to an agreement you haven't even read.

If you cross your fingers and say out loud, "I do not agree" does that cancel it?

Some of the statements in these contracts are completely ridiculous. By opening the packaging, they say you agree, even when you haven't read the agreement yet. I used one prepaid service that had an agreement in it. My guess is it said by using your phone you agree. I could just as easily tell them by selling me the phone, they agree to giving me a million dollars. I think if I ever went to court over such a thing and they tried to defend that clause, I might say if the plaintiff or defendant blinks, he agrees to lose the case. "See your Honor, he/she blinked." just to illustrate how ridiculous the clause is.

Quote:

2) Some years back, some guy got something from a credit card company. He had to sign and return the agreement. Well, being BRILLIANT, he was able to recreate the document and change some key words! Basically, he made it so that he would be charged no interest.

When he pointed this out later, they went to court. HE WON! The judge apparently figured that the whole small print thing was fair game for the matter.

Maybe you could try to hack the contract, CHANGE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE (e.g., a free phone each year, unlimited free replacement phones, no fee, full service on the phone, etc.)

That works with paper agreements. I'd imagine they'd have to sign the other copy for it to go through. If I could figure out a way to do that on a EULA, that would be cool. Another thing is, I could mark out parts I don't want with a dry erase marker and write the wording I want, and take photos of that as evidence. Smile

The Samsung agreement had a section there where I could opt out of the agreement by sending an email. I think they meant it to apply to the arbitration part, but it didn't say that.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/8/20 11:15 am

Post Re: Link, WRONG!!! Aaron Scott
Link wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Show chapter and verse.

Revelation 21:8, dude! MURDERERS will have their part in the Lake of Fire! When they open up a line and 35 people who were BEHIND ME are now ahead of me...it could lead to murder. Worse, it could lead to MASS MURDER.

You've got to get on board the Theology Train, dude.

'Thou shalt not covet' my place in line when you are in the back of that other line because you were too slow to move.

I don't covet your place in line...because (see above) I will soon step over your mangled corpse and take my rightful place at the front of the line. You've got to stop reading those Baptist Commentaries--they know next to nothing.

Quote:

Two things:

If the 'sign your soul to the Devil' clause is not in the part you read, then you might be in trouble. Another thing to consider is that God might hold your responsible to an agreement you haven't even read.

If you cross your fingers and say out loud, "I do not agree" does that cancel it?

EVERYONE knows that crossing you fingers nullifies whatever you say or sign. EVERY. BODY. Why are you apparently the last person on earth to NOT know this?

As for signing your soul to the devil, well, duh, if you're saved (AT LEAST AS SAVED AS I OBVIOUSLY AM), then the devil will have to see God about your soul, since it belongs to God, right?

Link, much learning doth make you mad!

Some of the statements in these contracts are completely ridiculous. By opening the packaging, they say you agree, even when you haven't read the agreement yet. I used one prepaid service that had an agreement in it. My guess is it said by using your phone you agree. I could just as easily tell them by selling me the phone, they agree to giving me a million dollars. I think if I ever went to court over such a thing and they tried to defend that clause, I might say if the plaintiff or defendant blinks, he agrees to lose the case. "See your Honor, he/she blinked." just to illustrate how ridiculous the clause is.

Finally, you are starting to see the light!

Quote:

That works with paper agreements. I'd imagine they'd have to sign the other copy for it to go through.

Do you think THEY are going to read over all that nonsense they wanted YOU to read? OF COURSE NOT! And if they do, then they DESERVE the right to decline your agreement, since they took all that time to find out what you did.

Dude, are you are a terminator from the future? It appears you are thinking like a cybernetic organism! You've got to think like a human if you want to eradicate this foolishness from the face of the world forever!

If I could figure out a way to do that on a EULA, that would be cool. Another thing is, I could mark out parts I don't want with a dry erase marker and write the wording I want, and take photos of that as evidence. Smile

Sounds like you have now found the purpose for your miserable existence. Now get busy! (Oh, and send me the details on how to do it, once you figure it out.)

The Samsung agreement had a section there where I could opt out of the agreement by sending an email. I think they meant it to apply to the arbitration part, but it didn't say that.

Always, always, always interpret a contract in YOUR favor. My wife won't even let me do the income taxes, because she is so afraid that I'll interpret it to my advantage and get in trouble.

Shoot, she won't even let me MAIL it anymore, since I always address it to the "Infernal Revenue Service."

Here's the thing: If I can't interpret in my favor, then I do whatever they say. But if they leave me the SLIGHTEST OPENING--and I do mean the SLIGHTEST OPENING--then I do what all the millionaire tax attorneys do: I interpret it in my favor...and let the IRS sort it out.

You are welcome!

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/20 11:36 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic