Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

looking for advice on moving (more info)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post looking for advice on moving (more info) Ernie Long
Sometime next year (not sure when yet) my family and I are looking to move to Tennessee or South Carolina. We know nothing of either state and this is what I am asking for. Where in either of these two states would you live and why? We want to be in the country with a few acres, but close (15 miles or so) to a midsize or large city.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Ernie Long on 9/12/20 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
9/11/20 5:22 pm

Post Re: looking for advice on moving Carolyn Smith
Ernie Long wrote:
Sometime next year (not sure when yet) my family and I are looking to move to Tennessee or South Carolina. We know nothing of either state and this is what I am asking for. Where in either of these two states would you live and why? We want to be in the country with a few acres, but close (15 miles or so) to a midsize or large city.
Thanks for your input.

Is this move retirement or due to another life event? Not being nosy, just thinking that might make a difference in location/stage of life.

I have a friend who moved to Nashville last year and they love it. But they also have three kids who are all preteen and below.

There are two great churches I've visited in the last few years in Chattanooga/Cleveland that I enjoyed - Redemption to the Nations/Kevin Wallace & OCI/Perry Stone/Karen Wheaton.

The only thing I'm really familiar with in SC is the Mauldin/Greenville area, which I visited 40 years ago when I was in Summer Bible School as a teenager!

I live in NC and it is pretty awesome! Wink
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/11/20 7:18 pm

Post Where are you moving from? Mat
Where are you moving from?

Do factors like being near family and friends, or medical centers, play a role in the state and city you choose? Or are you looking for "country livin'"?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/12/20 8:44 am

Post More info Ernie Long
We are looking for a place in the country (1-20 acres more or less) not in a subdivision. We are not retiring, but just want to relocate somewhere where we plan on retiring. I drive a dump truck and my wife is an office manager for Kentucky Historical society. We plan on finding jobs. We are in Kentucky at the present time, we both grew up here, but we lived and Pastored in Ohio for 18 years. We thought we could move back home to be close to our families, but everyone has their own lives and no time for anyone else. We know no place is perfect, but you make it what it is. We like SC and Tenn. that is why we are looking at these 2 states. I wouldn't mind living up a holler. Acts Enthusiast
9/12/20 10:22 am

Post Re: More info Mat
Ernie Long wrote:
We are looking for a place in the country (1-20 acres more or less) not in a subdivision. We are not retiring, but just want to relocate somewhere where we plan on retiring. I drive a dump truck and my wife is an office manager for Kentucky Historical society. We plan on finding jobs. We are in Kentucky at the present time, we both grew up here, but we lived and Pastored in Ohio for 18 years. We thought we could move back home to be close to our families, but everyone has their own lives and no time for anyone else. We know no place is perfect, but you make it what it is. We like SC and Tenn. that is why we are looking at these 2 states. I wouldn't mind living up a holler.

You want to live "up a holler"? I'm not the man to ask. I was born in TN, (lived in Cleveland, Knoxville and for a short time in Millington), and now live in SC, where my wife and I are considering retiring. You might like the upstate of SC, but its growing so fast and all those Yankees are coming down and driving prices up.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/12/20 12:00 pm

Post Re: More info Ernie Long
Mat wrote:
its growing so fast and all those Yankees are coming down and driving prices up.

That is our concern that people up north are moving south and driving land prices through the roof. We don't really have a timetable that we are driven by, if we can find the right place for the right money we could move anytime.
Acts Enthusiast
9/12/20 2:56 pm

Post East Tennessee... Aaron Scott
Specifically, southeast Tennessee. Now, I would do that because I was born there, all my kin are there, and I have a strong connection there. But there's more to it....

I love the mountains. I love rafting. I love being in the area where the Church of God started (I was born in Cleveland, probably about 50 or so miles from Barney Creek...and Fields of the Wood).

Now, if you are retiring, or otherwise have no plans to pastor, etc., I would do it for the sheer beauty that is withing a two-hour radius (or so): The Smokies, the Ocoee River, Hiwassee River, another river that shall not be named, Fall Creek Falls, Bea's Cafeteria, the Tennessee Aquarium, lots of fishing and hunting, etc.

BUT IF YOU ARE PASTORING....

One of the things about being bi-vocational is that you can often feel like you need to take a vacation to see something, unless those things are right there.... But if you were in that part of the country, you could easily do something just about every day that is "vacation worthy." For instance, on Sunday afternoon (after church--assuming you don't have night service), you could go to the Smokies. Or rafting.

In other words, you wouldn't have to take off for a week or two bloc, but could do things on or near the weekend, or with just an extra day off one week.

If I lived ANYWHERE in the southeast besides Florida, that SE Tennessee would be the place.

Now, if you open that up to anywhere in the US, you would likely find me in NM, CO, or WY. But, alas, they are too far from my family, and I don't have forever with them in this world.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/12/20 3:12 pm

Post Link
I have driven through Tennessee, but I've never lived there. I live pretty close to South Carolina, and technically, I think I was made in South Carolina, though I was born in North Carolina.

For me personally, I like to be near cities to buy food. I'd want to be near a city that has international grocery stores so my wife can get Indonesian food, and also Korean and Thai food and other things she'd like to eat. So for me, if I wanted to retire in SC and didn't need to work, maybe I'd go for the Greenville-Spartanburg area. That is part of the largest metro area that also includes Mauldin and Anderson. Technically, Columbia is the largest city, and has less than 150k people. It is also about 4 or 5 degrees cooler in Greenvilel-Spartenburg than it is in Columbia, and cooler than the CSRA which includes Aiken SC and Augusta GA. There is a Greenville-Spartunburg airport also.

For me, that's part of SC is a little more convenient for visiting my parents. If you moved a little out from that area, you could be out in the country, which might be safer if the country goes through a near-apocalyptic type situation.

If you didn't care about the rural acreage, Charleston sounds interesting. But real estate is high there. You don't get as much land for your buck there. But it's a historical city known for cuisine.

The case for the mountains of TN sounds good, though, especially if you are into fishing and hunting. If you can get an interesting property that is good for grand children visiting in the summer, being a little closer to KY may be good for you. I think TN has low property taxes but high sales taxes, so living right on the border and shopping in the next state over may make sense, too. I dont't remember all the details about that, though.
Acts-perienced Poster
9/12/20 4:50 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Check out the area around Blue Ridge, GA. If you come to Georgia, I’m a real estate agent and would love to help you. Acts-pert Poster
9/13/20 5:50 pm

Post Thoughts & Suggestions mytwocents
I may be wrong but I believe there is no income tax in the state of TN. That certainly could be an advantage to living there, but perhaps the tax is made up by higher gas or sales tax.

I agree with a previous poster, the upstate of SC would be a good place to consider. However, the area around Greenville/Spartanburg is filling up fast, chiefly due to the BMW factory and its influence.

Oconee, Anderson, and Pickens counties might be an ideal spot. Lots of farmland, beautiful lakes, the foothills of the mountains, and Greenville is less than an hour away.
Acts-celerater
9/14/20 8:01 am

Post FLRon
Well, as one of those “Yankees who came down and drove the prices up” my advice is to choose Tennessee. Beautiful state and climate, and I even found a few people who were nice to this Yankee. None of em were COG though. Just sayin’.
9/14/20 4:29 pm

Post JLarry
I live in S. Ga. about 25 miles from the camp ground. And just over an hour from Tallahassee Fl.

I happen to know of someone looking for a dump truck driver (10 wheeler) in Moultrie Ga., about 30 miles from the Camp Ground which is in Tifton Ga. Even know of a house for sale about 5 miles from town.

Tallahassee has an international market and Valdosta (40 miles away) may have one.

Another suggestion would be Hartwell Ga., near beautiful Lake Hartwell, NE Ga, 30 from Anderson SC.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/15/20 11:36 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic