Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How far has Romans 10:9-10 been taken out of context?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How far has Romans 10:9-10 been taken out of context? Preacher777
I have been studying the Bible in context in relation to the return of Christ, holiness, avoiding idols (anything that takes our focus off of God and Christ's return). The Bible is loaded with COMMANDS concerning the life of a believer. I believe we have reached a point the Western church (and now others as this easy "sinner's prayer" conversion method has spread worldwide) has taken Romans 10:9-10 so far out of context that a simple confession without belief in the heart that results in one's heart wanting to pursue God, His Word and ways to please the one we love.

Romans 10:9 :that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

We see many other scriptures that relate to salvation but are not popularly used when wanting to lead others to Christ.
Luke 10:27: And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.”

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

Jesus shares in verse 27 that rewards will be given according to deeds when HE COMES in the glory of the Father. Often it seems that people are convinced they should come to Christ for great rewards ON THIS EARTH as a result of simply saying this sinner's prayer. Are we trying too hard to get numbers in our churches, ministries and soothing our minds from concerns that loved ones are not saved by compromising the Word and taking scripture out of context concerning the basic salvation message? Do you think this is one of the reasons the church has been going backwards?
Friendly Face
8/7/20 8:56 am

Post Da Sheik
For a long time now, the American Church has suffered from what we refer to as “cultural Christianity”. To be a follower of Christ in the early church meant suffering persecution. To leave idolatry (or Judaism for those Messianic Jews) meant possible loss of social status, family, income, and possibly injury/loss of life.

Because we have experienced such an extended time of peace and prosperity here, the average Western Christian thinks very little about heaven or rewards in the Kingdom. The early church longed for the return of the Messiah. We now have a generation that says “my lord delayeth His coming “. Or worse yet, “where is the promise of His coming? “.

I commend you for teaching and preaching about the judgment to come.
Acts Enthusiast
8/8/20 7:11 am

Post I am going to pose to you first hand experience.... caseyleejones
My wife works retail. She is in a unique position as to she gets to know her clientele personally. Do you know who are the meanest? Christian people....and pentecostals the worst.

These christian people demand their rights and demand extra. They want my wife to to against store policy. One told her recently, I am a christian but this place tries my patience and makes me mad. She went on to verbally abuse a non-christian worker while wearing her denim skirt and piled hair.

High profile christian people in my community talk to the retail workers like dogs.

One was nasty towards my wife yesterday demanding my wife violate store policy but within 5 minutes saying she was praying something would work out in her life.

My wife, spirit filled, tongue talking christian comes home almost in tears daily not from how the ungodly treat her, but christian "tongue talkers" treat her. The ungodly treat her better.

Ask any restaurant worker who the worst tippers are and when? Sunday afternoon. My daughter a christian and a manager at a restaurant dreaded one church coming in because they are mean.

The so-called consecrated life you speak of christians not living is not about how much they beat their body, but more about their love for one another.

The saying...."I'm not perfect, just forgiven"....doesn't fly.

There are times I wonder if what Jesus was totally on point that narrow is the way. I wonder if many of those who say they are born again are unsaved and going to hell.
Acts-perienced Poster
8/8/20 11:54 am

Post Re: I am going to pose to you first hand experience.... FLRon
caseyleejones wrote:
My wife works retail. She is in a unique position as to she gets to know her clientele personally. Do you know who are the meanest? Christian people....and pentecostals the worst.

These christian people demand their rights and demand extra. They want my wife to to against store policy. One told her recently, I am a christian but this place tries my patience and makes me mad. She went on to verbally abuse a non-christian worker while wearing her denim skirt and piled hair.

High profile christian people in my community talk to the retail workers like dogs.

One was nasty towards my wife yesterday demanding my wife violate store policy but within 5 minutes saying she was praying something would work out in her life.

My wife, spirit filled, tongue talking christian comes home almost in tears daily not from how the ungodly treat her, but christian "tongue talkers" treat her. The ungodly treat her better.

Ask any restaurant worker who the worst tippers are and when? Sunday afternoon. My daughter a christian and a manager at a restaurant dreaded one church coming in because they are mean.

The so-called consecrated life you speak of christians not living is not about how much they beat their body, but more about their love for one another.

There are times I wonder if what Jesus was totally on point that narrow is the way. I wonder if many of those who say they are born again are unsaved and going to hell.

I have no doubt that Hell will be populated by a great many who wore the badge of “Christian”, just as Heaven will be populated by a great many that were written off as unworthy by these same people.
8/10/20 1:56 pm

Post Re: How far has Romans 10:9-10 been taken out of context? Link
Preacher777 wrote:
I have been studying the Bible in context in relation to the return of Christ, holiness, avoiding idols (anything that takes our focus off of God and Christ's return). The Bible is loaded with COMMANDS concerning the life of a believer. I believe we have reached a point the Western church (and now others as this easy "sinner's prayer" conversion method has spread worldwide) has taken Romans 10:9-10 so far out of context that a simple confession without belief in the heart that results in one's heart wanting to pursue God, His Word and ways to please the one we love.

It has deteriorated beyond that. Now, people are offered salvation without being told that Jesus is the Son of God, the Christ, that He died for their sins, or rose from the dead. I visited a Charismatic church nearby and the pastor preached on God taking care of us, believing God for big things. At the end, he said he wanted to give an opportunity for people to ask Jesus into their life, had them pray to accept Jesus into their life and declared them saved without telling them that Jesus died on the cross for their sins or rose again from the dead.

I'd much rather hear Romans 10:9-10 without much context than that tag-on truncated thing.

Does anyone else notice this stuff or is it just me?

I resolved to contact preachers I saw doing such things if I could unless the Lord led otherwise. I spoke with him after church. There was a line hanging around. I couldn't find his email so I was able to Facebook him a message about this. I haven't heard back. I did that with a Baptist pastor through email and he just emailed me and said he would consider what I wrote.

I'd urge other people to reach out to pastors and other preachers offering salvation without preaching the gospel.
Acts-perienced Poster
8/14/20 12:35 pm

Post Re: I am going to pose to you first hand experience.... Link
caseyleejones wrote:

If you leave a tract on a table at a restaurant, leave a big tip to go along with it.

I saw a Todd White video about how he started witnessing to a waitress. She was an atheist and brought out the big atheist apologist-- her manager-- to argue with him. Todd White got a word of knowledge about his knee, how he got angry at God because he tore his ACL and could not go to the college he wanted to. The guy said it wouldn't be healed, then he laid hands on him and he was healed, and he apologized. Todd White gave a $100 or so tip to the rude server. She tried to give it back because she didn't deserve it. He told her about grace. The guy whose knee was healed had been a youth pastor at one point.

He also told one of them God wasn't angry at them. I don't agree with that perspective. Romans 1 talks about the wrath of God towards men. But I think White may be changing his tune on that issue here recently.
Acts-perienced Poster
8/14/20 12:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic