Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is your favorite college team next?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is your favorite college team next? Mat
The news is that the Ivy League colleges will not have fall sports due to the pandemic, plus Stanford (PAC 12) is dropping various sports programs which do not produce revenue. Many big-time schools are having to suspend practice for the fall football season, which general starts in less than two months from now. Football is by far the largest revenue producing sport, often funding many other sports at a school.

Talk about a convergence of events - the pandemic - the "star" college players wanting compensation/pay (beyond their scholarships which are often worth in the 100s of thousands of dollars, and a shot at playing in the pros) - the pressure to "diversify" coaching staff and athletic department positions - forming the perfect storm to produce empty stadiums and bank accounts.

I don't think the "Ivys" have scholarship athletics (just financial aid if needed), but there have been voices calling for a return to "student athletics" from both the fans who are feed up with the politics of big time sports and the liberal academic community who see college sports as a competitor to their interest. This year could be the year of defunding college sports (jocks and cops, liberals don't like either).

There are many sports that will suffer, as will the USA's competitive level in international sports. Women's sports, who under Title Nine enjoyed shared revenues from the big time football and basketball, will be gone. Many women's team sports were vital in trying to match the number of men players on scholarship at the school. No big time sports, no big revenue, no men's teams (how many players on a football team), no need for costly women's programs.

Is there going to be a "new normal" for college sports?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/20 7:12 am

Post Nah, the Seminoles are proud to be associated with FSU Aaron Scott
Now, if FSU sinks to the bottom, yeah, it may be deemed inappropriate. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/9/20 7:34 am

Post Re: Nah, the Seminoles are proud to be associated with FSU Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
Now, if FSU sinks to the bottom, yeah, it may be deemed inappropriate.

I'm glad the Seminoles are proud of FSU relationship, but come on, "sinks to the bottom"? Other than their fan and player base in the prison system, who's an FSU fan? Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/20 7:38 am

Post Mat, are you even SAVED??? Aaron Scott
This is the team of St. Bobby--I'm not even sure you can get to heaven without liking the Seminoles.

And those who like the Gators, well, they are hell-bound for sure...in fact, just being a Gator fan gives you are preview of how terrible hell will be.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/9/20 8:37 am

Post Re: Mat, are you even SAVED??? Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
This is the team of St. Bobby--I'm not even sure you can get to heaven without liking the Seminoles.

And those who like the Gators, well, they are hell-bound for sure...in fact, just being a Gator fan gives you are preview of how terrible hell will be.

And they say people in the south are overly obsessed with college football! Shocked Very Happy Embarassed

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/20 9:03 am

Post shaunbwilson
The Big Ten is reportedly considering a 10-game, conference-only schedule for the 2020 football season. They're meeting today, and a decision is expected in 8-10 days per the article.

Who knows what will happen, but my best guess is that the P5 conferences will play some sort of limited schedule like this one, and the G5 will not play. I think the SEC is primarily located in the states that have chosen an "open at all costs" mentality, and they will want to keep their conference momentum alive. ACC and B1G will follow suit because they will not want to allow the SEC to claim a national championship uncontested this year. ACC and Big 12 overlap in SEC's market, and so they will likely also still play, although I would not be surprised to see the Texas and Oklahoma teams play and the other Big 12 teams excuse themselves. Pac-12 is a bit of a toss-up because Washington and California seem to have really focused on self-quarantine and it looks like they have substantially succeeded through that strategy while Arizona has taken... a different approach. The 6 CA/WA teams are not going to want to play the 2 AZ teams. I suppose they could do a 6 and 6 round robin with a conference championship.

Edited to add: If and when conferences start canceling, I think it will be in the order of Pac-12, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, SEC. Notre Dame will not cancel and will finally win their first National Championship since 1988 by default. Wink
7/9/20 11:27 am

Post shaunbwilson
This was posted just a little bit ago: Almost 75% of FBS ADs Believe College Football Will Be Delayed

7/9/20 1:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic