Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

QUESTION: Are you doing what you were born to do?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post QUESTION: Are you doing what you were born to do? Aaron Scott
Every now and then, I hit one of those moments where it seems that, well, I should be happier, or better rewarded, or better known, or more passionate about my life, etc.

And I can sometimes wonder: "Shouldn't there be something more to life?"

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think of that U2 song that says "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." And I think of the Michael W. Smith song that says, "Trying to Find My Place in This World."

At other times, I am perfectly (or nearly so) content. I have come to wonder if I'm not just hardwired to always have my sights somewhere else. From the time I was just a kid, I was this way.

How about telling me your experiences? Maybe I can learn from them. If you are one of those that have lived a life doing precisely what you knew you were born to do, tell me.

And if you're a bit like me, tell me that too.

The odd thing is that I don't feel at all out of the will of God. I believe I am where He wants me. And yet....

Who knows, maybe it's just the way of man.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/7/20 10:17 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Ephesians 2:10 -- yup.

Some days better, some days worse, but chugging along as God gives grace.

I empathize with the feeling of not having found what I'm looking for, but I believe that's because what I'm truly looking for can only be found in the life to come. That gnawing lack of absolute satisfaction is a gracious reminder for me to look toward and hope for the life to come.

Concerning the here and now -- I stopped trying to find some particular or special purpose. Ephesians 2:10 details exactly what me (and you, and all believers) were created to do. I find a lot more peace and satisfaction in the day to day pursuit of that goal under the leading of God's Spirit, than I ever did trying to pursue some big purpose or goal.

Hope that helps. Love you brother.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/7/20 7:26 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
As the old song goes, “I was born to serve the Lord.” If I am loving God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and my neighbor as myself, that is my duty, what I am supposed to be doing. I do sometimes wish I had gone to medical school like my mom always wanted me to, but I wonder how that would have worked with my calling to be a pastor. I do wish I had chosen a side career that would have made a better income, since my entire ministry has been bivocational in nature. I suppose I’ll have to work til the day I die, unless Publisher’s Clearinghouse finally comes through for me.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 7/7/20 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/7/20 9:26 pm

Post Cojak
I finally found it. I worked on the first church I pastored. I worked, with a few volunteers, on the second church to build a fellowship hall and SS rooms. The Third church was a plant and I remodeled a garage and added SS rooms. The church did well. When I ran out of nails to drive, I found I was unhappy. I return to the military and retired. After that I became a carpenter I found out that I hated to leave the job site, then I became a general contractor. I regained my faith, started working part time in our local church. But my love was building. I could help my pastor and local church financially, and I was 'SOUL HAPPY'. I became a pastor's friend as much as I could.
Finally I think I was doing what I was born to do. I still love the smell of sawed wood.
Not everyone waits until their mid 40s to know what you asked. I admire the 18-21 years olds who KNOW what they were born to do. Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/7/20 9:48 pm

Post Good question. When you reach my age... roughridercog
You begin to wonder if you had any impact on the world at all.
7/8/20 6:53 am

Post Re: Good question. When you reach my age... Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:

You probably didn't. And that's okay. We need to shake loose of the modern evangelical mindset that we are all supposed to change the world for Christ.

We are all supposed to impact those around us for Christ, and be a means through which he can accomplish his will. You have surely done this. What greater calling could we ask for?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/8/20 7:34 am

Post Re: Good question. When you reach my age... Cojak
roughridercog wrote:

I would bet you impacted on many people's 'Worlds!' Just that short encounter we enjoyed; we have talked many times how your people seemed to love you and your family. Oh you did your part, I have no doubt.
Life is good.
7/8/20 10:03 pm

Post Re: Good question. When you reach my age... Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

...We need to shake loose of the modern evangelical mindset that we are all supposed to change the world for Christ.

We are all supposed to impact those around us for Christ,
... You have surely done this. What greater calling could we ask for?

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
7/8/20 10:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic