Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lee University professors BLM - Are u kidding me!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lee University professors BLM - Are u kidding me!! BishopsWife
They should be fired! http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/naacp-lee-u-professors-support-moving-monument,112866#.Xvk9dozQhYo.facebook Acts Enthusiast
6/30/20 7:01 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Why do you think they should be fired? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/20 7:59 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Not everyone that says, "Black Lives Matter" is supporting or espousing the organization of BLM. While there is an organization called "Black Lives Matter," many are simply using the term at this time to make a statement. (And yes, all lives matter, but they are promoting the term BLM to recognize our black brothers and sisters are hurting at this time.)

(I do not want to argue about this. Soooo tired of all the drama. Just sayin'...)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/30/20 8:31 am

Post Dave Dorsey
You're exactly right Carolyn. But the article doesn't even mention the professors expressing that black lives matter! It simply says they personally support moving a Confederate statue, which the NAACP and Black Lives Matter also support.

So, to the OP, they should be fired... why exactly? Confused
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/20 8:59 am

Post D Aaron Scott
Diddlete

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 7/5/20 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
6/30/20 10:19 am

Post Re: Dave...the Johns DO support Black Lives Matter Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
It is posted on their FB site. Yes, they make it clear that they don't support all that BLM supports, but they do support BLM. Said it clear as day.

Okay, so you say they support the general lowercase "black lives matter" sentiment and the fight against systemic racism and injustice, and have specifically made it clear that they reject the negative elements of the BLM org's mission.

And they should be fired why now?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/20 11:04 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
That is the second time they have run afoul, I think, of the general consensus of the Church of God.

If supporting the lowercase sentiment that "black lives matter" runs afoul of the general consensus of the Church of God, guess what... the problem is not with these professors.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/20 11:07 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Black Lives Matters! Acts-pert Poster
6/30/20 2:18 pm

Post Re: Dave...the Johns DO support Black Lives Matter Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
It is posted on their FB site. Yes, they make it clear that they don't support all that BLM supports, but they do support BLM. Said it clear as day.

That is the second time they have run afoul, I think, of the general consensus of the Church of God.

We ALL believe that black lives should and do matter. I tend to "get" what it means to say that you support BLM (that sentiment, if not at all the organization).

It's about like us starting an organization that says "Jesus is Lord," having a horrible platform of beliefs, and then saying, "Don't you believe that Jesus is lord?" That is, the NAME of the organization is such that even expressing the sentiment can be taken to be supporting the organization.

The example I use is if a Baptist says they are the church of God, they aren’t talking about the denomination. But, some people are just wanting to cause drama and strife. The fact is, Lee students and teachers didn’t lose their freedom of speech when they signed up. Good for them! And shame on others who look the other way and reject their black brothers and sisters.
Acts-pert Poster
6/30/20 2:22 pm

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Black Lives Matters!

Black lives matter too
Friendly Face
6/30/20 4:56 pm

Post D Aaron Scott
Diddlete

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 7/5/20 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
7/1/20 8:30 am

Post A school of fish...a herd of goats...a crash of rhinoceri(?)...and now: Aaron Scott
A TRUMP of Republicans...

and

a COVEN of Democrats...
7/1/20 8:31 am

Post Re: Dave Dorsey Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Okay, so you say they support the general lowercase "black lives matter" sentiment and the fight against systemic racism and injustice, and have specifically made it clear that they reject the negative elements of the BLM org's mission.

And they should be fired why now?

No, I'm not arguing they should be fired. I was just stating that it is true that some professors support the BLM organization (even if not every item on their platform).

But I do tend to think that the overtly liberal take by some members of upper education (e.g., I believe it was a female professor who, a while back, dissed the Church of God, claiming she apparently didn't feel "safe" attending the Church of God).

I am all for them having their own opinion. I am NOT for them being in a Church of God school. I'm not saying that everyone must believe the same thing, but when you are clearly out of step with the larger sentiments of the Church of God, we sow the seeds of our own demise by keeping such people on staff. Eventually, like Yale(?) and all the other great universities that used to be bastions of Christianity, we will become just a haven for a coven of liberals.

There is a difference in BLM organization and believing that black lives matters. I can tell you this....there is NO people in Cleveland, TN that loves and cares for people than these professors. Nobody I know represents Jesus Christ any more than them. I am so proud of them!
Acts-pert Poster
7/1/20 9:31 am

Post Re: Dave Dorsey Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
No, I'm not arguing they should be fired.

Aaron Scott wrote:
I am all for them having their own opinion. I am NOT for them being in a Church of God school. I'm not saying that everyone must believe the same thing, but when you are clearly out of step with the larger sentiments of the Church of God, we sow the seeds of our own demise by keeping such people on staff.

Can you help me understand how these two quotes can be reconciled?

And I ask again: For what specific opinions do you think they should be "not kept on staff"?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/1/20 10:17 am

Post D Aaron Scott
Diddlete

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 7/5/20 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
7/1/20 11:01 am

Post Eddie Robbins
This is NOT a Church of God issue. The Church of God has zero authority in hiring or firing ANYBODY at Lee University. Not even the President. Acts-pert Poster
7/1/20 11:06 am

Post D Aaron Scott
Diddlete

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 7/5/20 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
7/1/20 11:42 am

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
This is NOT a Church of God issue. The Church of God has zero authority in hiring or firing ANYBODY at Lee University. Not even the President.

It is absolutely a Church of God issue. There would be no Lee University without the Church of God. Before anyone gets too cocky about Lee's independence from the Church of God, they need to realize that if you take the Church of God endorsement, resource, credibility, and students away from Lee, it would be a shell of what it is now.

That doesn't take away from the leadership of Paul Conn or the employees of Lee. It is just an arrogant and erroneous assumption to think that Lee doesn't need the Church of God.
Friendly Face
7/1/20 12:20 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
This is NOT a Church of God issue. The Church of God has zero authority in hiring or firing ANYBODY at Lee University. Not even the President.

It is absolutely a Church of God issue. There would be no Lee University without the Church of God. Before anyone gets too cocky about Lee's independence from the Church of God, they need to realize that if you take the Church of God endorsement, resource, credibility, and students away from Lee, it would be a shell of what it is now.

That doesn't take away from the leadership of Paul Conn or the employees of Lee. It is just an arrogant and erroneous assumption to think that Lee doesn't need the Church of God.

Nobody said that. I’m just making the point that the COG cannot hire or fire. It’s not being cocky, it’s truth.
Acts-pert Poster
7/1/20 12:42 pm

Post Re: Eddie...yes, it IS a Church of God issue Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

The right to hire and fire might have been granted to Lee University by Church of God leadership, but is not a wholly independent organization.

I would also ask the question of who owns the property that Lee sits on? I don't know the answer to that, but I imagine that the Church of God has a place in there somewhere.

The right to hire and fire is given to Lee by the Board of Directors, not the COG.
Acts-pert Poster
7/1/20 12:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic