Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A moment of thoughtful honesty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A moment of thoughtful honesty roughridercog
I firmly believe we have come a long way as a denomination. I know that because I've come a long was as a Christian and an ordained bishop first credentialed in 1975.
So I feel comfortable in dealing with the subject of racism. I was born in 1956 and grew up during the civil rights movements.

If the following statement makes you think less of me, I understand.

The family and community I grew up around thought nothing of using the "N" word. It was used to describe people, their race, and also one joke after another.

I confess. As a child, I laughed at the jokes and even recounted them.

Then I'd be in church on Sunday singing about my blonde haired blue eyed Jesus (according to the picture hanging in the church).

I got saved at as a young teen and had the typical struggles of a teen and young Christian. The jokes and use of the word contined. After all, everyone I respected was doing it.

As a young minister, I'd go to camp meeting and during social times, the ministers would josh and kid around. Before long that word was in use and the racial jokes would begin (always careful to observe there were no brothers and sisters if color around. After all, that would be rude.)
Then after a while, the Holy Spirit began to deal with me. My use of the word ceased along with the racial jokes. When they wpuld start, I'd politely excuse myself. I was a young man and didn't feel comfortable rebuking an elder.

Maybe some of you had to deal with this, also. I know it's something the church at large had to deal with and let the Holy Spirit do operations in hearts.

If this honesty makes you think less of me, I apologize.

I just felt it needed to be shared because I feel there may be others who have faced it and come through.
6/20/20 11:24 am

Post Re: A moment of thoughtful honesty Resident Skeptic
roughridercog wrote:
I firmly believe we have come a long way as a denomination. I know that because I've come a long was as a Christian and an ordained bishop first credentialed in 1975.
So I feel comfortable in dealing with the subject of racism. I was born in 1956 and grew up during the civil rights movements.

The family and community I grew up around thought nothing of using the "N" word. It was used to describe people, their race, and also one joke after another.

Then I'd be in church on Sunday singing about my blonde haired blue eyed Jesus (according to the picture hanging in the church).

I got saved at as a young teen and had the typical struggles of a teen and young Christian. The jokes and use of the word contined. After all, everyone I respected was doing it.

As a young minister, I'd go to camp meeting and during social times, the ministers would josh and kid around. Before long that word was in use and the racial jokes would begin (always careful to observe there were no brothers and sisters if color around. After all, that would be rude.)
Then after a while, the Holy Spirit began to deal with me. My use of the word ceased along with the racial jokes. When they wpuld start, I'd politely excuse myself. I was a young man and didn't feel comfortable rebuking an elder.

Maybe some of you had to deal with this, also. I know it's something the church at large had to deal with and let the Holy Spirit do operations in hearts.

I just felt it needed to be shared because I feel there may be others who have faced it and come through.

As a high school teacher, I am seeing that black kids don't mind their white friends using the N word, provided the white friends are wearing their pants down around their knees, are listening to rap music, and basically bending over backward not to seem white. Thus, I don't think you should feel too guilty about your past use of the word. We stopped using it. They didn't. The modern problems in the black community have nothing to do with white people having once commonly used this word. We need to reject this guilt trip and get off our knees. This is why I will never eat at Chik-fil-a again.
6/20/20 3:20 pm

Post Re: A moment of thoughtful honesty roughridercog
Resident Skeptic wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

As a high school teacher, I am seeing that black kids don't mind their white friends using the N word, provided the white friends are wearing their pants down around their knees, are listening to rap music, and basically bending over backward not to seem white. Thus, I don't think you should feel too guilty about your past use of the word. We stopped using it. They didn't. The modern problems in the black community have nothing to do with white people having once commonly used this word. We need to reject this guilt trip and get off our knees. This is why I will never eat at Chik-fil-a again.

I am a retired High school teacher. The word was not allowed in my classroom by students of any color. I had one young man of color say that he doesn't use the word any longer. He thinks of me a checks himself.
I heard it too much from preachers at camp meeting. I'm now sickened by it.
6/20/20 7:28 pm

Post Re: A moment of thoughtful honesty Resident Skeptic
roughridercog wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I am a retired High school teacher. The word was not allowed in my classroom by students of any color. I had one young man of color say that he doesn't use the word any longer. He thinks of me a checks himself.
I heard it too much from preachers at camp meeting. I'm now sickened by it.

It was never used when I was in high school in the 80's unless there was a black on white "pile-on" attack. Even then, it was said in conversation and not to their face. But now, you might as well hang it up. They say whatever they want. I was told to stop giving students referrals for calling me a "mother f------."
6/20/20 7:34 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
That you would be transparent about your experience of recognizing your sin by God's grace, repenting, and growing certainly does not make me think less of you. A lot of white folks come from backgrounds where the use of this word was disgustingly common. Almost all stopped using it somewhere along the way, but not all stopped using it because they recognized it as evil and repented. God bless you for sharing this story, and may your transparency and repentance inspire others. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/21/20 7:38 am

Post sheepdogandy
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/21/20 9:06 am

Post Dave Dorsey
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

Chick-fil-A didn't do anything. Dan Cathy expressed his belief that white Christians needed to be more involved in actively fighting racism and said of rioters that had damaged some of his restaurants, "My plea would be for the white people, rather than point fingers at that kind of criminal effort, would be to see the level of frustration and exasperation and almost a sense of hopelessness that exists among some of those activists within the African American community."

That is enough, apparently, for some to swear off his chicken forever. One can only wonder why.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/21/20 10:46 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dave Dorsey wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

Chick-fil-A didn't do anything. Dan Cathy expressed his belief that white Christians needed to be more involved in actively fighting racism and said of rioters that had damaged some of his restaurants, "My plea would be for the white people, rather than point fingers at that kind of criminal effort, would be to see the level of frustration and exasperation and almost a sense of hopelessness that exists among some of those activists within the African American community."

That is enough, apparently, for some to swear off his chicken forever. One can only wonder why.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/21/20 12:42 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

The CEO got on his knees and shined the shoes of a black Christian rapper on national television. He preceded to heep white shame on himself and the entirety of white people, essentially laying the blame of most of the ills of the black community at the feet of white people. The rapper later made a video expressing how the whole episode creeped him out , and called Cathy to tell him he was out of order.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443159/Chick-fil-CEO-urges-white-people-repent-racism-shining-black-strangers-shoes.html

Last edited by Resident Skeptic on 6/21/20 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
6/21/20 3:36 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And he never once called on blacks to examine themselves to see how much of that frustration they have is self-inflicted due to poor decision making.
6/21/20 3:38 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
Could this had been his way of washing his brother's feet?

Resident Skeptic wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

The CEO got on his knees and shined the shoes of a black Christian rapper on national television. He preceded to heep white shame on himself and the entirety of white people, essentially laying the blame of most of the ills of the black community at the feet of white people. The rapper later made a video expressing how the whole episode creeped him out , and called Cathy to tell him he was out of order.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443159/Chick-fil-CEO-urges-white-people-repent-racism-shining-black-strangers-shoes.html

Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/21/20 9:24 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eduardo Nieves wrote:
Could this had been his way of washing his brother's feet?

Resident Skeptic wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
What did Chik-Fil-A do?

News to me.

Please read the article in the link above. Additionally, this video sheds more light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVE6xqQjSs

In fact, the link below shows videos of many black conservatives trying to warn white people about the trap they are falling into. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chick+fil+a+ceo+shines+shoes
6/21/20 10:35 pm

Post Peanut Butter
Don’t fall into the trap of loving your neighbor or your enemies. That’s a slippery slope. Friendly Face
6/22/20 8:49 am

Post roughridercog
Peanut Butter wrote:
Don’t fall into the trap of loving your neighbor or your enemies. That’s a slippery slope.

Yup, could lead to salvations and revival. And who'd want that?
6/22/20 10:23 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Peanut Butter wrote:
Don’t fall into the trap of loving your neighbor or your enemies. That’s a slippery slope.

You don't love your neighbor buy embracing a false narrative of yourself and apologizing to your neighbor for offenses you did not commit.
6/22/20 12:56 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
roughridercog wrote:
Peanut Butter wrote:

Salvation and revivals do not come from pandering to false narratives.
6/22/20 12:57 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
This thread is veering radically off topic from roughrider's original post. Let's get back on target. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/22/20 3:15 pm

Post roughridercog
Dave Dorsey wrote:
This thread is veering radically off topic from roughrider's original post. Let's get back on target.

Honestly, if I'd thought it would have denigrated like this, I wouldn't have made the original post.
6/22/20 8:11 pm

Post Cojak
WE are all guilty of 'some failures', My brother Paul from years past said the same of himself and he was an apostle.
I cannot answer for you and you cannot answer for me.

It is a shame, that one popular chalk drawing was called 'Rastus'. I honestly did not consider it racist, but it was. It is a great story of be sure your sins will find you out. The story was a picture of 'mammy', a farm, and the story of planting all the beans in one hole so Rastus could go swimming.
My best friend at 5 years old was Rastus and his mother, lovingly was called 'Mammy', by everyone. In the story she dealt out the punishment when the beans did not come up in the rows. In the end the picture was turned over to reveal a picture of RAstus.
It was a great story, and of course I did not do that story when I ministered at churches of color and youth camps for Haitians and Jamaicans. So Yes I was two faced and wrong. I dropped that story a long time before I gave up the ministry.

The 'N' word was never used in any presentation, my mama woulda tanned my hide as an adult, if I had ever used that word.

And yes, I am ashamed of some of the things I have said and more ashamed that I did not say something when I felt uncomfortable around others, as RR has said about himself.

And yes it is time......
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/22/20 8:22 pm

Post Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Peanut Butter wrote:

Salvation and revivals do not come from pandering to false narratives.

My friend, no one here has mentioned pandering, more a personal confession of some of the situations that have brought us to the situations today.

In my comment I am talking about something I KNOW about. I cannot speak for you nor anyone else. You are not talking to a bunch of cowboys at their first rodeo. I can see past smoke screens of wild claims and actions. There are the common every day Americans who have been hurt by silly actions. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/22/20 8:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic