Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Man who filmed Arbery shooting: Travis McMichaels shot him 3 times, then made racial slurs (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Man who filmed Arbery shooting: Travis McMichaels shot him 3 times, then made racial slurs (L) Dave Dorsey
There was some dispute on this forum as to whether the McMichaels' engagement of Ahmaud Arbery was a result of racism. Hopefully the testimony in the preliminary hearings today will put that question to rest.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/20 11:17 am

Post Re: Man who filmed Arbery shooting: Travis McMichaels shot him 3 times, then declared "f***ing n***er" (L) Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
There was some dispute on this forum as to whether the McMichaels' engagement of Ahmaud Arbery was a result of racism. Hopefully the testimony in the preliminary hearings today will put that question to rest.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html

And the expletive could not have been a reaction to Aubery trying to wrestle the gun away so he could shoot McMichael?

I don't like or use the N word. But the fact that it was used does not prove these men were stalking Arbery at all, much less over his race, or that they broke any laws.
6/4/20 12:12 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Uh, yeah, ok. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/20 1:10 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Uh, yeah, ok.

Think about it. What he said after the dust settled is not going to have any hearing on the jury's decision unless he were to say something like "I got him just like we planned!!"

In the first place, he is not being charged with a racial hate crime. But apart from that, the N-word is still batted about casually and seems to be on the increase instead of declining. It's not going to have a bearing.
6/4/20 2:42 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry, I'm not going to go around this circle with you. There have been a lot of heavily media-covered instances that are ambiguous in certain ways and I understand those can be difficult to process. But there's just zero question here and if you can't see it in this context you never will. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/20 3:05 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Sorry, I'm not going to go around this circle with you. There have been a lot of heavily media-covered instances that are ambiguous in certain ways and I understand those can be difficult to process. But there's just zero question here and if you can't see it in this context you never will.

The context was an armed man trying to perform a citizen's arrest was attacked by the suspect who struggled to take the firearm. In the process, he was shot. I am willing to bet that is all the jury will be authorized to consider in the end.
6/4/20 7:58 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Read this thread detailing today's testimony. Hoping it will change your view.

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1268541923817590789
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/20 9:46 pm

Post I have to agree. The n-word is not "proof" of racism. Aaron Scott
It may very well indicate extreme stress. I understand that it is often the case that the last words a pilot says before crashing is often a curse word.

Ever hit your finger with a hammer? You might say something you wouldn't normally say, like, "oh, flitter!"

While our family sought to purge this word from our vocabulary decades ago, it's still in the memory banks (otherwise I wouldn't even know what "n-word" meant).

Now, it may be that these guys were racists. It's just that I don't think that word, alone, really proves anything.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/5/20 11:59 am

Post The COG Apostle
Some always take the side of racists. Always. Acts-celerater
6/5/20 12:21 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Aaron, please click the link I shared yesterday and review the full testimony from yesterday. I believe your view will change when you do. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/20 1:06 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
The COG Apostle wrote:
Some always take the side of racists. Always.

And some people like you make ridiculous assumptions.
6/5/20 1:27 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron, please click the link I shared yesterday and review the full testimony from yesterday. I believe your view will change when you do.

Let's say a white, homeless drug addict had been seen burglarizing and stealing in a mixed neighborhood. The people of the community were on the lookout for him. One day, he is seen lurking about, peeking in windows, trying to open sheds, etc. Realizing he has been spotted, he runs. Two armed citizens, who happen to be black, seek to block his escape so they can make a citizen's arrest. In the process, the white wino tries to wrestle the gun away and gets shot and killed. As the dust settles, one of the black guys shouts, "Stupid honkey cracker!"

Does that prove it was a racially motivated killing?
6/5/20 1:31 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Did you read the complete assessment of testimony from yesterday?

It doesn't seem that you did, based on your comment. McMichaels admitted to the GBI that he had no proof that Arbery had stolen anything, in addition to several other damning facts. By McMichaels' own admission, he followed Arbery because his "gut" told him he was the guy. He had never seen him doing anything and had no other evidence that Arbery was anyone but a jogger.

Please read it. It is OK to say, "I was right before based on what was known, but based on this new evidence, I am changing my mind."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/20 2:22 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:

It doesn't seem that you did, based on your comment. McMichaels admitted to the GBI that he had no proof that Arbery had stolen anything, in addition to several other damning facts. By McMichaels' own admission, he followed Arbery because his "gut" told him he was the guy. He had never seen him doing anything and had no other evidence that Arbery was anyone but a jogger.

Please read it. It is OK to say, "I was right before based on what was known, but based on this new evidence, I am changing my mind."

And this proves it was a racial attack how?
6/5/20 2:58 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:

Furthermore, your original premise seemed to be that the man's use of the N word proved this was a racially motivated killing. The illustration I gave casts doubt on your hypothesis.
6/5/20 3:10 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nevermind. I was truly hoping the abundance of evidence entered yesterday would change your mind, but apparently I was wrong.

I'd encourage all others to check it out. The testimony presented by the GBI yesterday was overwhelming.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/20 3:30 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Nevermind. I was truly hoping the abundance of evidence entered yesterday would change your mind, but apparently I was wrong.

I'd encourage all others to check it out. The testimony presented by the GBI yesterday was overwhelming.

You presented zero evidence of a racially motivated killing.

That evidence may appear. Thus far, it has not.
6/5/20 3:59 pm

Post Dow Moses
Citizen arrest for jogging while black. He was chased like an animal. I’m sure scared for his life and rightfully so. I’m sure He believed his only hope was to fight for his life. No proof that he did anything wrong accept jogging around racist people.
6/5/20 7:57 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dow Moses wrote:
Citizen arrest for jogging while black. He was chased like an animal. I’m sure scared for his life and rightfully so. I’m sure He believed his only hope was to fight for his life. No proof that he did anything wrong accept jogging around racist people.

False narrative. Straw man argument.
6/6/20 7:28 am

Post The COG Apostle
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Dow Moses wrote:

False narrative. Straw man argument.

Always.
Acts-celerater
6/6/20 8:11 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic