Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Hipster churches....PnW people wearing ball caps and tatted......

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Hipster churches....PnW people wearing ball caps and tatted...... caseyleejones
I don't have any tats nor do I wear clothes with holes in them to church.

And yet.....30+ years ago I was in the same position. The previous generation did not understand my PnW music late 80's early 90's.

Remember when those churches that began singing words off the wall when the hymnal crowd condemned them?

I don't and will not be that guy in his 50's that refuses to support the next generation embracing Jesus in their particular manner.

It is not my "thing", but I can worship alongside those people just fine.
Acts-perienced Poster
5/3/20 9:41 am

Post IN the Book of Exodus autumn trees twice dead
God commanded the Hebrews "And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes," Exodus 19:10

Since they only had one set of clothes (although they never gave out) while on their journey, I believe God commanded that they wear our best before Him. I realize that few wear dirty clothes to church and the culture has changed, but are we wearing our best, or just complying to the culture.

It is up to the individual, but it is not about the individual, but God. I want to look my best.

I am sure some will say as long as they come it doesn't matter. If that is the case we are in a heretical belief. It isn't about laxed clothing styles that draws sinners, but God's grace. I hope everyone can grasp that.We must go beyond seeking to please all, but to please a Holy God. Clothing requirements are often at the whim of a modern fad. God's grace is eternal and is what seeks men and draws them by the Holy Spirit.

God will love all, but we need to think of and love Him back foremost. That is the deeper issue here. Is God or ourselves the main priority.

In the book of Exodus, coming before the Lord was not an everyday or common occurrence.. It was meeting with and listening to a Holy God speak to His people. What an honor. Thus they were commanded to make sure they had on their best version of their clothing.

Our focus needs to be dying to self and living a renewed life. Paul said:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. (KJV)

You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial. (NLT)
"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive. (NIV)

1 Cor. 10:23

Let us get back to our priority and that must be God and not ourselves. At times, culture is just an excuse to justify thinking of ourselves first. No guilt intended, but deep thought and discernment is needed.
5/3/20 12:21 pm

Post Re: IN the Book of Exodus caseyleejones
autumn trees twice dead wrote:
God commanded the Hebrews "And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes," Exodus 19:10

Since they only had one set of clothes (although they never gave out) while on their journey, I believe God commanded that they wear our best before Him. I realize that few wear dirty clothes to church and the culture has changed, but are we wearing our best, or just complying to the culture.

I like and eat shell fish, do you?
Acts-perienced Poster
5/3/20 1:39 pm

Post Re: IN the Book of Exodus autumn trees twice dead
caseyleejones wrote:

I like and eat shell fish, do you?

I know that was an attempt to be clever by your repeating that old cliche, but shellfish dealt with obeying the law and clean clothes deals with coming before God. Your pat, repeated reply was on a different subject. You need to search the net for new material. Nice try, but you were comparing and contrasting two different things. The context of ex. 19 was how to prepare yourself to listen to God who then did give the ten commandments after they had clean clothes. We really need to read the bible instead of spouting old cliches. God bless

Plus in your rush to show your repeated reply you must not have read my entire comment. How could you, unless you don't understand, 1 Cor. 10:23 which I posted in several versions-- I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive.

Let me throw in this because two or three witnesses is a winner -- “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.1 Cor. 6:12

Please take time to read me before you post (James 1:19), more importantly read the bible and pray for understanding.

God bless-- all things are lawful --- Priorities was the theme of my post and you changed it to obeying the law. Please read carefully. God bless
5/3/20 3:06 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
1 Samuel 16:7 New King James Version (NKJV)

7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/3/20 10:00 pm

Post So there are contradcitins in the bible. autumn trees twice dead
Carolyn Smith wrote:

7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
---------------------------

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 1 Timothy 2:9

So which is right. If the didn't care about what you wear why did Paul demand modest apparel. That is the danger in using out of context proof texts.

Your scripture dealt with God's refusal of Saul. Do you remember the Jews wanted a King to lead them that would be intimidating t their foes. Saul was chosen because of his physical appearance as he was
And he had a choice and handsome son whose name was Saul. There was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. From his shoulders upward he was taller than any of the people. 1 Samuel 9:2

They wanted a fierce looking King to lead them into battle.

When you look at that scripture in its proper context and not out of its context you will see God basically saying, I don't care what Saul looks like and I have taken away his kingship because his heart isn't right.

Compare that with David's description in the bible.

So we need to look at the context of the passage we are using before we ever use it. Sometimes the context is the paragraph, a chapter, the book or the whole bible as it is with the verse you used out of context.

There are no contradictions in the bible, but just people who use the bible as to make their case without actually understanding why it was written. The bible is not a proof texting book filled with handy cliches, but wisdom from God above.

In conclusion concerning outward appearance going to see what the whole bible says on the subject avoids out of context . Having more than one scripture is a winner

3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as braided hair or gold jewelry or fine clothes, 1 Peter 3:3

You are right when God wants inner beauty, but the bible does address that. It is just that the scripture you used, while sounding useful, wasn't addressing the specific use you gave it.. It dealt with the rejection of Saul and above all it dealt with God's choice for King and the kingly line that would produce Jesus. It wasn't a big handsome man, but a man after God's own heart

14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought him a main after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee. 1 Samuel 13:14

22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.Acts 13:2

So we see God was actually rejecting Saul in spite of his appearance (1 Samuel 15) and selected David due to heart holiness. Read Samuel 1:9 to see the cry to God fr a King.

This is helpful in knowing why Saul was chosen:

1 Samuel 12:13 describes Saul as the king that the people chose. That description may surprise us when we read 1 Samuel chapters 9 and 10. Those chapters show clearly that God, and not the people, appointed Saul to be their king.

On the other hand, Psalm 78:70 refers to David as the king whom God chose. This contrast between Saul and David is very important as we study the Books of 1 and 2 Samuel.

The Bible refers to Saul as the people’s choice because the people demanded a king. They wanted God to give them a powerful king who would lead their army. God did not approve. However, God gave them the kind of king that they wanted. Saul had all the qualities that they desired for their king.

Saul had the opportunity to serve God and, for a short time, he did that. However, Saul would not obey God’s command to him (13:13) and, in the end, he became very wicked. That is very sad, but it does not surprise us. When people follow their own desires, wicked behaviour is the usual result. What happens in a person’s life can also happen in the history of a nation.

Although Saul was the people’s choice, God selected him. Although David was God’s choice, the people wanted him to be their king (2 Samuel 2:4; 2 Samuel 5:1-3). God does not force his people to act in a certain manner. He allows them to make their own decisions. However, he always encourages them to do the things that please him. When they do, the result is always good. David was a good king who had a genuine desire to serve God and to look after his people well. (useful bible studies)

I hope that helped.
5/4/20 3:36 pm

Post Re: So there are contradcitins in the bible. Carolyn Smith
Carolyn Smith wrote:

---------------------------

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 1 Timothy 2:9

So which is right. If the didn't care about what you wear why did Paul demand modest apparel. That is the danger in using out of context proof texts.

Your scripture dealt with God's refusal of Saul. Do you remember the Jews wanted a King to lead them that would be intimidating t their foes. Saul was chosen because of his physical appearance as he was
And he had a choice and handsome son whose name was Saul. There was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. From his shoulders upward he was taller than any of the people. 1 Samuel 9:2

They wanted a fierce looking King to lead them into battle.

When you look at that scripture in its proper context and not out of its context you will see God basically saying, I don't care what Saul looks like and I have taken away his kingship because his heart isn't right.

Compare that with David's description in the bible.

So we need to look at the context of the passage we are using before we ever use it. Sometimes the context is the paragraph, a chapter, the book or the whole bible as it is with the verse you used out of context.

There are no contradictions in the bible, but just people who use the bible as to make their case without actually understanding why it was written. The bible is not a proof texting book filled with handy cliches, but wisdom from God above.

In conclusion concerning outward appearance going to see what the whole bible says on the subject avoids out of context . Having more than one scripture is a winner

3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as braided hair or gold jewelry or fine clothes, 1 Peter 3:3

You are right when God wants inner beauty, but the bible does address that. It is just that the scripture you used, while sounding useful, wasn't addressing the specific use you gave it.. It dealt with the rejection of Saul and above all it dealt with God's choice for King and the kingly line that would produce Jesus. It wasn't a big handsome man, but a man after God's own heart

14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought him a main after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee. 1 Samuel 13:14

22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.Acts 13:2

So we see God was actually rejecting Saul in spite of his appearance (1 Samuel 15) and selected David due to heart holiness. Read Samuel 1:9 to see the cry to God fr a King.

This is helpful in knowing why Saul was chosen:

1 Samuel 12:13 describes Saul as the king that the people chose. That description may surprise us when we read 1 Samuel chapters 9 and 10. Those chapters show clearly that God, and not the people, appointed Saul to be their king.

On the other hand, Psalm 78:70 refers to David as the king whom God chose. This contrast between Saul and David is very important as we study the Books of 1 and 2 Samuel.

The Bible refers to Saul as the people’s choice because the people demanded a king. They wanted God to give them a powerful king who would lead their army. God did not approve. However, God gave them the kind of king that they wanted. Saul had all the qualities that they desired for their king.

Saul had the opportunity to serve God and, for a short time, he did that. However, Saul would not obey God’s command to him (13:13) and, in the end, he became very wicked. That is very sad, but it does not surprise us. When people follow their own desires, wicked behaviour is the usual result. What happens in a person’s life can also happen in the history of a nation.

Although Saul was the people’s choice, God selected him. Although David was God’s choice, the people wanted him to be their king (2 Samuel 2:4; 2 Samuel 5:1-3). God does not force his people to act in a certain manner. He allows them to make their own decisions. However, he always encourages them to do the things that please him. When they do, the result is always good. David was a good king who had a genuine desire to serve God and to look after his people well. (useful bible studies)

I hope that helped.

Actually, this scripture has nothing to do with Saul. God said this to Samuel when he was looking at David's brother and thinking the oldest who was tall & good looking must surely be the next king.

In context:
1 Samuel 16:5-7

5 Samuel replied, “Yes, in peace; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Consecrate yourselves and come to the sacrifice with me.” Then he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.
6 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord’s anointed stands here before the Lord.”
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

God saw ahead that Eliab would be the one to criticize and belittle David for having a heart for Israel in the next chapter, when that was exactly what God was looking for in a king - not at how he looked outwardly, but God was looking for one who had a heart for God and Israel.

And for the record, you are the one who hijacked this thread into your own interpretation from what the OP was about. The OP was about the older generation not going with the flow with the younger generation's way of dress and song. You were the one who tried to change it to priorities.

Since you pulled a scripture out of the air to defend your point of view, I thought mine was just as valid. You are going on and on about giving God our best when that was NOT the point of the OP. Nor was my scripture out of place since it speaks directly to the heart of the matter of the original post, which is what we should be discussing.

While I do believe in modest apparel and giving God our best, do you really think God is going to look down on a sinner who's come to church and reject them because they're wearing jeans and a T shirt? Or that we should? The important thing is that the gospel is being preached and sinners are being saved. And if we don't learn to relate to the younger generation and build bridges between our generation and theirs, we will lose them! I'm not saying compromise, but we have to choose our battles, just like with our own children. When it all comes down to what's important...what's important is that they know Jesus and know how to worship Him in Spirit and in truth.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/4/20 9:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic