Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

End time scholarly books
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post End time scholarly books Patrick Harris
Im looking for some End-time prophecy books that are solid Biblically.

Not Hal Lindsey or similar.. Read those.

Any thoughts?
Acts Enthusiast
5/1/20 2:18 pm

Post This is a very good balanced jimmyjon
And scholarly. Marvin Rosenthal is founder of Israel My Glory and is a Messianic Jew who is also a Baptist. He was also the founder and builder of the Holy Land Experience in Orlando Florida that was later bought by TBN and now closed I guess.

Anyway the book is called the Pre Wrath Rapture and is a available on Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Prewrath-Rapture-Church-Marvin-Rosenthal/dp/0840731604/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=prewrath+rapture&dchild=1&keywords=prewrath+rapture&pd_rd_i=0840731604&pd_rd_r=b161b38e-271f-4dbb-9ea2-7c2146d216f9&pd_rd_w=JyGNr&pd_rd_wg=DdPqn&pf_rd_p=4b7c569d-35c5-47f6-9441-0ee0b99371a6&pf_rd_r=H7F4HCZXY9RGCH3ZCER9&psc=1&qid=1588362357&sprefix=pre+wrath&sr=1-1-191b1ae3-0539-4250-ad39-b698e0b800f6

This might be best categorized as "mid trib" but not really. He makes the excellent distinction that the tribulation period of 7 years is broken into parts and that Christian's are not appointed unto wrath but the mistake pre trib people make is that the wrath of God isn't poured out until.after the first 3.5 years. Anyway take a look at it, it is very well written, logically written with excellent references throughout.
Hey, DOC
5/1/20 2:53 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
GK Beale's commentary on Revelation in the NIGTC series is a serious read, but it's extraordinary. He has a shorter version if it published also. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/1/20 3:00 pm

Post Dr.Acts
Pre Wrath is like a 3/4 trib deal. Completely man made up - someone actually paid good money to develop the teaching

Craig Keener who we all deem as a solid scholar, recently came up with a book I don't agree with. It is actually tested by COVID-19 right now and he may need to revise it before this whole thing is over.

If you are going for "scholarly" please surpass Scofield and Darby and go straight for Larkin - the source of it all and quite scholarly for his time.

On a more modern note - Pentecost is a good scholarly source, though most of us may disagree with his division of the 7 churches.

On a post-modern note, Robby Waddell did his dissertation on Revelation. Dr. Chris Thomas also published consecutively an extensive volume on Revelation.

And of course, we have Revelation: God's Stamp of Sovereignty by R. Hollis Gause; but I very strongly doubt any poster here who dose not have sufficient education would even understand his book's expository. Perhaps for this reason, many unlearned practitioners of the ministry now lean toward 3/4 rapture or even no rapture at all going astray from our traditional eschatology as a movement. Some have even proposed that in recent years our organizational doctrine has been infiltrated with historical preterist post-minimalism and this may actually be true to some extend.
Friendly Face
5/1/20 5:37 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Thanks. That’s a great start. Acts Enthusiast
5/1/20 7:47 pm

Post Patrick... Aaron Scott
The only end-time book that is solid biblically...is the Bible. The rest is conjecture.

God back and read the "end-time prophecy" book from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...and you'll see how wrong they get it. At first the bad guys were Russia.
Then it was the "Beast," a massive computer in Brussels, Belgium. Then the bad guy was the European Common Market, or China, then the European Union, and then it was Muslims, then, more specifically, ISIS. Now it's...probably the Democrats.

This stuff never stops! Here is the standard formula:

"The anti-Christ is (or is associated with) the X. Then, let X equal whatever or whomever is the seemingly biggest threat out there. Write a book. Then, if X changes, ignore the earlier book and write a new one."

The best they can do is tell you what they THINK. And you can do that for yourself.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/2/20 1:04 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The Blessed Hope by G. Eldon Ladd is an excellent presentation of the historic premillenial view, which I hold.

https://www.amazon.com/Blessed-Hope-Biblical-Second-Rapture/dp/0802811116/ref=nodl_
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/2/20 2:03 pm

Post Dr.Acts
I should have mentioned Ladd as well - its a great book
but Ladd was a baptist professor @ Fuller That's enough said

For the ones that are still interested
Baptist dispensationalism restricts the work of the Holy Spirit to one dispensation only. That of Grace. As Pentecostals we believe the Holy Spirit was active and operating in all of human's history not just one dispensation. Tho we are pre-trib we cannot recognize the same dispensations as Baptists do because that will make us cessationists, which we are not.

Do you know if Ladd claims the Holy Spirit will be taken after the Rapture?

Last edited by Dr.Acts on 5/2/20 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
5/2/20 2:16 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dr.Acts wrote:
I should have mentioned Ladd as well - its a great book
but Ladd was a baptist professor @ Fuller That's enough said

For the ones that are still interested
Baptist dispensationalism restricts the work of the Holy Spirit to one dispensation only. That of Grace. As Pentecostals we believe the Holy Spirit was active and operating in all of human's history not just one dispensation. Thou we are pre-trib we cannot recognize the same dispensations as Baptists do because that will make us cessationists, which we are not.

Do you know if Ladd claims the Holy Spirit will be taken after the Rapture?

I know Ladd was not a dispensationalist, nor was he a cessationist, from what I recall. He taught the historic premillenial view, aka posttrib. I don’t recall reading him say anything about the Holy Spirit being taken after the rapture, but such an idea would not be logically necessary with a posttrib view.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/2/20 2:43 pm

Post Dr.Acts
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I know Ladd was not a dispensationalist, nor was he a cessationist, from what I recall.

He was not and that's why I left him be at enough said. My middle paragraph was merely an explanation on baptist dispensationalism and cessationism as being incomparable with Pentecostal theology.

While I personally like Ladd, I don't put him far from neither tho. If you recall, Nichols called him "already Ladd/not yet dispensationalism." But Ladd did reduce the kingdom to simply mean the Holy Spirit working in neoplatonic Kingdom-of-the-gaps, so at least to me it is not very clear if he restricts or not the gifts of the Spirit to a certain era. I already mentioned in my previous post his primary meaning argument on kingdom being power or dominion in regard of our own theology leaning toward dominion cycles.
Friendly Face
5/2/20 3:38 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Here is a good scholarly book that presents four views on the millennium:

https://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Millennium-Four-Views/dp/0877847940/ref=nodl_
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/4/20 9:06 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Thanks for this recommendation! I love the Zondervan Counterpoints series and this looks like it's in the same vein.

A similar entry in the Counterpoints series is available here: https://smile.amazon.com/Three-Views-Millennium-Beyond-Counterpoints-ebook/dp/B003TFE2ES
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/4/20 10:43 am

Post Things to Come roughridercog
By J D Pentecost
5/4/20 1:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Thanks for this recommendation! I love the Zondervan Counterpoints series and this looks like it's in the same vein.

A similar entry in the Counterpoints series is available here: https://smile.amazon.com/Three-Views-Millennium-Beyond-Counterpoints-ebook/dp/B003TFE2ES

One thing I especially like about the book I recommended is that it presents arguments and counterarguments for and against each position by top notch scholars. I also like that it presents Dispensational Premillenialism in contrast to Historic Premillenialism, which is most helpful to my mind, having been raised in a dispensationalist background in the AG, later having quite reluctantly been convinced of the truth of historic premillenialism. I also like that it presents amillenialism and postmillenialism and has premillenialist and dispensationalist scholars respond to these views, which
are far less common in our day than they have historically been.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 5/4/20 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/4/20 2:55 pm

Post Re: Things to Come Dr.Acts
Welcome back
roughridercog wrote:
By J D Pentecost

Pentecost was mentioned above as a solid resource
Figured you needed time to recover from GA news Smile
Friendly Face
5/4/20 2:56 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

One thing I especially like about the book I recommended is that it presents arguments and counterarguments for and against each position by top notch scholars.

The Counterpoints series is the same way. A long essay by the main author, and then short responses by each of the other authors. Always very charitable, and also by top-notch scholars. (The exception would be the Counterpoints books covering arguments from theological liberals. Those folks are scholars for sure, but I couldn't call them top-notch given their views. That said, even those books serve as good sources for apologetics knowledge.)

Anyway, looking forward to this read very much. Thanks again for the recommendation.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/4/20 4:45 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Thanks again everyone. Acts Enthusiast
5/4/20 6:23 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
88 Reasons Why Jesus Will Return in '88
5/4/20 7:25 pm

Post Chicago27
Resident Skeptic wrote:
88 Reasons Why Jesus Will Return in '88

Friendly Face