Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Growing up in church I learned that killing was okay in war as long as

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Growing up in church I learned that killing was okay in war as long as caseyleejones
it was for a righteous cause. In WW II, Korea, Vietnam, the North during the Civil War....was all righteous.

However, the more I read, there were Godly men fighting for the South.

There are Godly people living in Palestine.

So, how do we reconcile one being more righteous than another?

Sorry, just musing while on quarantine.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/24/20 6:44 pm

Post Cojak
I don't think we can:

Too many variables. It is even hard to discuss a comparison without being crushed by 'Another view!'

Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/24/20 8:51 pm

Post Re: Growing up in church I learned that killing was okay in war as long as Link
caseyleejones wrote:
it was for a righteous cause. In WW II, Korea, Vietnam, the North during the Civil War....was all righteous.

However, the more I read, there were Godly men fighting for the South.

There are Godly people living in Palestine.

Sorry, just musing while on quarantine.

David said Joab shed the blood of peacetime as if it were in battle. Judah and Israel would fight battles against each other at that time. One of the generals killed Joab's brother. Joab assassinated him when they were in a time of peace.

David did not seem to think it was the same to slay in peacetime as it was to slay in battle.

Shimei cursed David as a man of blood. David had killed a lot of Philistines. David's bloodiness seems to have been tied to Uriah. I am not sure how that seven sons of Saul thing was okay. But the famine resulting from Saul's breaking Israel's covenant with the Gibeonites stopped.
4/24/20 9:03 pm

Post No country ever fights an unjust war... Aaron Scott
While it's being fought.

Every war is sold as righteous (i.e., just, justified, etc.). Otherwise, who would want to fight for the country?

Some argue that a number of our wars were not justified. Certainly the Mexican-American War was less than justified (U.S. Grant and Abraham Lincoln allowed as much). But if you sell it right, why, you're fighting for God and country--all to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

In virtually every war, there are arguments for it and against it. The deciding vote is cast, it seems, by national interests alone.

I'm not sure I could make the case that any war was 100% justified.

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 4/28/20 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/27/20 10:33 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
In my view, for the individual soldier, it comes down to the basic justification for self defense. If we allow that defending oneself or others from aggressors is justified, it then follows that defending one’s country from would-be invaders or terrorists is justified. I do not see justification for anything other than defensive war. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/27/20 10:41 am

Post War Change Agent
What you learn in church is not always right. When facing the possibility of war you may want to ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you concerning the particular situation or war. I did in 1969 and the Holy Spirit said no. I was asked to join the National Guard and I said no. In January of 1970 the lottery came out and I received number 308. If it had been number 1 I would have still saId NO. I thank the Holy Spirit very much for that help. Acts Enthusiast
4/27/20 2:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic