Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

angels - Holy Spirit

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post angels - Holy Spirit excellentposter
The earthly life of Jesus from beginning to end is replete with angelic encounters. The resurrection story, of course, details the presence and ministry of an angel. And, the Book of Acts tells us that Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost.

I suppose that throughout my life and ministry I have assumed that the Holy Spirit would lead me and instruct me without the interaction of angels. I am wondering if I may have missed something big here.

Is it normative for believers to have regular interaction with angels... with guardian angels?

It seems to me that having an angel to instruct me or warn me would be far more clear to my understanding than trying to discern the promptings, leadings, and directions given by the Holy Spirit whom I can not hear, touch, or see. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by excellentposter on 4/19/20 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Friendly Face
4/13/20 2:57 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Probably much more than we realize. I believe I have heard an angel twice in my life. Acts-pert Poster
4/13/20 3:27 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I think Scripture gives every reason to believe that unknowing interactions between angels and God's people are normative.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable saying based on Scripture that conscious interactions are normative (though they clearly happen). But angels are surely working night and day to protect God's people and to work His will and His good in their lives.

I also personally do not see a Scriptural warrant for looking to angels to discern God's direction or word, and I see some examples of what could be interpreted as a warning against that. That also does not seem normative, though there are clearly many biblical examples in which God chose to use angels as a means to guide or direct His people.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/13/20 3:39 pm

Post But it seems that the Biblical accounts were.... excellentposter
...that angels had obvious conscious interaction with people, and the people not only heard but saw the angels. What, if anything, has changed that from what we could and maybe should expect today? Friendly Face
4/13/20 3:45 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
For me, I think it's a distinction between realizing that God can and does work in that way today and being open to recognizing that work in my life, versus expecting that particular manifestation to occur in my life. Many biblical figures experienced the leading or guide of angels, but many others did not.

Whether that particular form of God's leading and guidance occurs in my life or not isn't up to me, so I don't see a basis for expecting or not expecting it. My expectation and faith is planted in the knowledge that God loves me, orders my steps, works for my good, and sanctifies me by His grace. I 100% expect that to occur every day of my life. But as for the particular means in which it occurs, I don't see a reason to expect one manifestation over another, if that makes sense.

Just my thoughts. This is a great conversation, thanks for posting the questions!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/13/20 3:55 pm

Post Not much interest in angels, I See excellentposter
I wonder why. Such a fascinating study! Are we afraid that angels are just a New Age phenomenon or that they are on the fringe of orthodoxy? Friendly Face
4/15/20 12:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In Scripture, I see believers seeking to be led by the Holy Spirit, and I do see angels on very special occasions revealing themselves to believers, but I do not see believers seeking to be led by angels or seeking angelic encounters. Such encounters appear to happen strictly according to the will of God. So I can only conclude that the normative means of guidance for believers is by seeking to be led by the Spirit in accordance with the written word rightly interpreted. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/15/20 12:23 pm

Post Re: angels - Holy Spirit Link
excellentposter wrote:
The earthly life of from beginning to end is replete with angelic encounters. The resurrection story, of course, details the presence and ministry of an angel. And, the Book of Acts tells us that Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost.

I suppose that throughout my life and ministry I have assumed that the Holy Spirit would lead me and instruct me without the interaction of angels. I am wondering if I may have missed something big here.

Is it normative for believers to have regular interaction with angels... with guardian angels?

It seems to me that having an angel to instruct me or warn me would be far more clear to my understanding than trying to discern the promptings, leadings, and directions given by the Holy Spirit whom I can not hear, touch, or see. What are your thoughts?

In the Bible, God delegates quite a bit. He has angels do certain tasks. He also has the saints perform certain tasks.

On the night of that final plague in Egypt before the Exodus, the angel of death went throughout the land. God used an angel. Angels brought messages to prophets. An angel spoke with Zecharias. An angel spoke to Philip. An angel spoke to Paul. An angel spoke to John. It's a New Testament thing, too.

There are those who think some references to 'the angel of the Lord' in the Old Testament refer to the preincarnate Christ, but clearly not every reference to angels fit that category, since Gabriel delivered certain messages.

God uses people also. We don't hear God the Father proclaiming the gospel audibly from the heavens. He entrusted that to redeemed men.

Something that I noticed in scripture is that it seems like God cares about these other entities as well. Through the church He wants to demonstrate His wisdom to principalities and powers. That would seem to imply He deems it important to teach them something. We know He teaches us lessons, but He allows other beings, angels, etc. that He has created to be involved in accomplishing his will, and teaches them as well.
4/19/20 12:10 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic