Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Praying Specific

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Praying Specific Cojak
As a kid I was not always serious about religion and church. At times like a good friend, who became an overseer BTW, when we sneaked off to a public swimming pool (mixed bathing!!!). He stood on the diving board and made fun of speaking in tongues by yelling, "Seethebowtie!" then diving. YES very sacrilegious!
We preacher's kids heard about praying 'specifically' so GOD doesn't misunderstand what we mean. i.e. A man with one arm paralyzed prays, 'Lord make both my arms the same, immediately both arms are paralyzed.'
Then another kid, 'This guy has one blind eye prays, Lord make my eyes the same!' And the kid who said that fakes being completely blind. I hope you get the idea and understand most of us kids turned out pretty good in spite of being PKs. Embarassed

Now to the point. I just read a church leaders words on praying for your self, just praying: "Please Heal me Lord' is not enough, you must be specific!"

To me that goes back to my childhood and some of the stupid thing we did. You mean to tell me our Lord does not know our needs even before we ask? Help me here. An educated person can express themselves much better than us ignorant ones, or are the less informed, less blessed? Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/11/20 9:02 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I don't think we want to be lazy when we pray. I think we do want to be specific when we can. The Bible says that we have not because we ask not. If I was praying about a medical condition I had, I would pray for healing for that particular area. I would pray for specific things I might need, such as increased blood flow or healing of specific tissue. I would ask God to give wisdom to the doctors that were taking care of me. I would try to ask my loving Father for as many specific things as I could.

That said, I don't think there's a biblical basis for saying that my prayer will somehow be rejected if I don't do all of those things, or if I don't know to do them, or if I forget them. If I am in a place of agony and I simply cry, "God, heal me!" surely my heavenly Father hears me and knows what I have need of (Matt 6). And I think it's kind of prideful to tell someone who is humbly seeking God that they're not doing it right if they're not following a particular formula. What a joy that someone is praying! We should pray with them, not try to make their prayers better.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/11/20 9:35 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic