Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

WARNING!!! PET PEEVE-"If you brought your Bible, hold it up."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post WARNING!!! PET PEEVE-"If you brought your Bible, hold it up." Aaron Scott
I know this comes from a certain time and place. I get it. I may even have said it a few times myself.

Since there might be some of my friends here who do this, I will refrain from saying that it's stupid...but I think you get my drift.

Really, do we expect a our congregation to go digging in the Bible, checking out every verse, looking for cross-references, etc., WHILE we are preaching?

Do we really mistrust our pastors/ministers so much that we cannot trust them to actually read the verse correctly, but instead are waiting for them to try to lead us astray by re-wording the verse?

If so, then you're at the wrong church. I wouldn't attend a church if I didn't trust the pastor to preach the Word in truth.

SO WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT???

Besides, if I bring my KJV (the King of all Bibles, of course--it says so in the version name!), but you read out of The Message (which is a rebuke for another time), then I'm not going to be sure if you read it right or not.

So why do this?

I heard one preacher put it this way, "Turn to XYZ in your Bible...if you aren't sure that I'll actually read it right, etc."

Seems to me that it's a distraction...and a largely meaningless action that gets "applause."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/6/20 10:47 am

Post Just at worn out preacher phrase like... roughridercog
Can you say amen?

Turn to your neighbor and say...

In my Bible its page...

(Anyone else have tired worn out preacher phrases?)
4/6/20 11:19 am

Post Re: Just at worn out preacher phrase like... Link
roughridercog wrote:
Can you say amen?

Turn to your neighbor and say...

In my Bible its page...

(Anyone else have tired worn out preacher phrases?)

"If you can't find, II Corinthians it is right after I Corinthians" is still a good one, IMO.

I'd add references to 'in God's house' in reference to a church building, not just because it is worn out, but because it reinforces the wrong ideas.
4/6/20 12:49 pm

Post Link
With digital devices, this is not applicable. It does make sense if people bring their phones to use them as Bibles. People like to have their hands free, and cell phones fit in purses and pockets.

But having people bring their Bibles and look up verses teaches those who do not read the Bible how to do so and gives them some familiarity with looking up books.

After our last international move, I was teaching my kids during devotions using a TV screen. I finally bought a bunch of Holman' CSV Bibles, thinking the kids could read the fine print since they were young, but they complained about the size, so we are back on the screen. I should probably buy some NKJVs after the disease lifts and I can check the font size in person rather than ordering them online.
4/6/20 12:52 pm

Post Cojak
We attended a church for awhile where the 'sort of pledge' was said while every one held their bibles up. Then it was hold up your tithe and offerings. and repeat after me....... .
After awhile along with many WOF points brought up, we felt we did not fit and moved on.

It is NOT WRONG to have someone look up many scriptures. while they are posted on the screen also, but it is distracting. I actually try to follow on my Fire, but finally decided to trust our pastor to read and post on the screen the correct and true Word of God. I haven't ran in to a mistake (or intentional heresy yet.) I am just about to agree he is doing it all right. Cool Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/6/20 7:20 pm

Post Here is a good one Belieber
What about, "Take out your handkerchief and twirl it around." I've heard that one a lot recently. Hey, DOC
4/6/20 9:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic