Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are you ready to violate state and local laws and have church...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Are you ready to violate state and local laws and have church... roughridercog
At your sanctuary this Sunday since RHB charges have been dropped? What would your local reaction be and would your people show up for it?
4/3/20 10:55 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Were the charges dropped? I haven't seen that in the news. If so, they would only have been dropped because RHB decided to stop holding services.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-arrest-for-breaking-coronavirus-rules-florida-pastor-rodney-howard-browne-cancels-services

States' powers to quarantine or isolate are well established in US jurisprudence. Any pastor expecting an easy 1st Amendment win in situations like these is in for a surprise.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:05 am

Post Dr.Acts
Yes we can!
Friendly Face
4/3/20 11:12 am

Post Darrell Garrett
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Were the charges dropped? I haven't seen that in the news. If so, they would only have been dropped because RHB decided to stop holding services.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-arrest-for-breaking-coronavirus-rules-florida-pastor-rodney-howard-browne-cancels-services

States' powers to quarantine or isolate are well established in US jurisprudence. Any pastor expecting an easy 1st Amendment win in situations like these is in for a surprise.

Florida has declared worship services as "essential", as has Texas and Indiana.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/3/20 11:15 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Florida has declared worship services as "essential", as has Texas and Indiana.

I'm not clear whether this supersedes Florida's gathering ban or not. Either way, RHB has cancelled his services.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:17 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
So far, drive-in services are still allowed in our state. I see them as the best option right now, regardless. We also are putting our services on Facebook live. We have had hundreds of ThruPlays, more than ten times what we normally had in our worship services pre-COVID19.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 4/3/20 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:23 am

Post Would your people show up? roughridercog
Our would they be too frightened?
4/3/20 11:25 am

Post Dr.Acts
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
So far, drive-in services are still allowed in our state

Can you still get biggie fries with that? Smile
Friendly Face
4/3/20 11:30 am

Post Re: Would your people show up? Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:

Jim, I have to strongly disagree with your characterization here.

It would be better to ask: Would your people show up? Or would they be too smart?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:36 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Would your people show up? Or would they be too concerned about contracting a highly contagious illness and spreading it to their at-risk friends and family members? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:38 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Would your people show up? Or would they listen to the uniform consensus of public health and infectious disease experts and do their part to slow the spread of this virus? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:41 am

Post roughridercog
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Would your people show up? Or would they listen to the uniform consensus of public health and infectious disease experts and do their part to slow the spread of this virus?

That's going to be the choice where states that have said church is essential are going to decide.
4/3/20 11:42 am

Post shaunbwilson
Would your people show up? Or would they practice the Word of the Lord in Isaiah 26:20?
4/3/20 11:45 am

Post Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:
That's going to be the choice where states that have said church is essential are going to decide.

Agree. And unfortunately, I think many will choose gathering out of guilt or a feeling that they MUST meet together no matter what in order to please God. It is DEEPLY incumbent on wise elders to instruct them otherwise.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:46 am

Post UncleJD
We need to give this one month to allow hospitals and equipment to catch up and get ready for what happens next. THAT was the reasoning for allowing the government (our servants supposedly) to shutdown everything. I support that. After that, the people cannot allow this to continue. There are 2 curves of death, one is the virus, one is the economy. There is a point that the economic one will surpass the virus and not be reversible for years if not decades. I believe that "intersection of curves" is a month away or less. Again, I support the initial reasons given for the shutdown, but no more. We have to be brave enough to push forward for the sake of the future, whether that means many of us will die or not, I'm convinced that economic devastation will be MUCH worse than the virus (and I believe the virus will be bad). So, yes, at the Church level there has to come a point we say "enough is enough". Its not easy and I don't take it lightly. I just believe we're caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/3/20 12:16 pm

Post Re: Would your people show up? roughridercog
Dave Dorsey wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

Jim, I have to strongly disagree with your characterization here.

It would be better to ask: Would your people show up? Or would they be too smart?

I stand corrected
4/3/20 12:28 pm

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
We need to give this one month to allow hospitals and equipment to catch up and get ready for what happens next. THAT was the reasoning for allowing the government (our servants supposedly) to shutdown everything. I support that. After that, the people cannot allow this to continue. There are 2 curves of death, one is the virus, one is the economy. There is a point that the economic one will surpass the virus and not be reversible for years if not decades. I believe that "intersection of curves" is a month away or less. Again, I support the initial reasons given for the shutdown, but no more. We have to be brave enough to push forward for the sake of the future, whether that means many of us will die or not, I'm convinced that economic devastation will be MUCH worse than the virus (and I believe the virus will be bad). So, yes, at the Church level there has to come a point we say "enough is enough". Its not easy and I don't take it lightly. I just believe we're caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place"

Yes, this must be considered, we will-lose MUCH more if we bankrupt this country.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/3/20 9:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic