Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

My grandparents' generation would be ashamed of us

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post My grandparents' generation would be ashamed of us UncleJD
I'll start by saying I don't want to get Covid-19, in my flesh, I'm afraid, but as every "flatten-the-curve" graph that came out at the beginning of this said, most likely 80% of our population will contract it, the flattening of the curve was supposed to be just that, give it a plateau so that healthcare could keep up, now the fearful seem to think we have a chance to contain it so that most people won't ever contract it, that ship sailed by early March. That said, when I look at the history of epidemics that my grandparents' generation lived through, starting with Spanish flu and smallpox, polio, and various outbreaks of cholera, measles and other flues that killed multiplied millions, I also look for any time that our government shut down the remaining citizens' livelihoods and I can't find it. We're about to enter a global recession greater than anything since the Great Depression, which could easily eclipse even that terrible time that was filled with hardship, death, disease, and hunger. God help our leaders know how to navigate these dreadful waters, between loss of life in the short term and loss of more in the long term. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/14/20 8:23 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I think our grandparents would warn us. Please do everything possible to remain safe. Money is not worth suffering. Are we panicking after just one month of quarantine? Most of us have government bailouts. Some of them are actually doing better.

An example......my daughter is a social worker and is having to continue dealing with families. Very dangerous work. She gets her Masters in May so this is her career. She brings home $700 a week. Her roommate is a hair dresser. She is out of work and has unemployment of $900 a week for 4 whole months and will have her job back when this is over. She was making $600 a week when she was working.

We have peaked. We need to slowly get back to business but very slowly. We will need to continue wearing masks and distancing. There are treatments coming that will help with those who are most vulnerable.
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/20 8:31 am

Post UncleJD
Eddie, I appreciate your opinion but the "Money is not worth suffering." is what I keep hearing as if we're talking about "extra spending money". We're not. We're talking about what it takes to prevent mass death through suicide, violence, starvation, all the things that socioeconomic devastation cause. It seems to be a quick, go-to argument against opening the economy as if people who argue for it are so crass that they just want a fur coat or something instead of people living. That is not the case. I do concede that the other side of the argument is wanting to save lives, I know they do, I just think they dismiss the economic factor when it will end up costing more lives. Its a hard choice. I pray we make the right one. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/14/20 8:35 am

Post Carolyn Smith
According to AJ Tomlinson's diary from 1918, the federal government shut everything down for 4 weeks during the Spanish flu epidemic.

I agree that if we don't get the economy moving again soon, it is going to have worse effects than shutting down from the virus. Most places seem to have dodged the bullet on overwhelming the health care system, and it's time to get them moving again before all the hospitals go bankrupt.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/14/20 11:29 am

Post Deleted Patrick Harris
Deleted Acts Enthusiast
4/14/20 11:36 am

Post Eddie Robbins
The economy is going to be fine. We have been shut down less than a month. One month ago today, I was at Disney. We have stimulus money coming. We have 4 months worth of additional unemployment money coming. People aren’t starving to death. We need to ease back into normality. Otherwise, what if a million people die? Is that worth it? Acts-pert Poster
4/14/20 2:37 pm

Post UncleJD
Carolyn Smith wrote:
According to AJ Tomlinson's diary from 1918, the federal government shut everything down for 4 weeks during the Spanish flu epidemic.

I agree that if we don't get the economy moving again soon, it is going to have worse effects than shutting down from the virus. Most places seem to have dodged the bullet on overwhelming the health care system, and it's time to get them moving again before all the hospitals go bankrupt.

Agreed Carolyn, but from what I've read about 1918, most of what got shut down was public gatherings, not the majority of businesses. It also seems to have been limited to large cities. I could be wrong I guess, I'll research more. I agree with limiting large gatherings, and other measures wholeheartedly, just not to the extent its been done. I still believe we should keep following this course through the end of the month (its already bought and paid for as Eddie points out), though we need a solid plan on what to do on May 1.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/14/20 2:52 pm

Post FLRon
Eddie Robbins wrote:
The economy is going to be fine. We have been shut down less than a month. One month ago today, I was at Disney. We have stimulus money coming. We have 4 months worth of additional unemployment money coming. People aren’t starving to death. We need to ease back into normality. Otherwise, what if a million people die? Is that worth it?

Sorry Eddie, but I think you are very wrong in thinking the economy is going to be fine. Major corporations are bleeding their cash reserves and there is little demand for their products. Will the lockdown produce a huge pent up demand for goods? Who can say for sure?

You mentioned Disney. Beginning Saturday their salaried employees are being furloughed until further notice. Every beach town here in Florida is a ghost town, and restaurant and bar owners are hanging on by a thread, and that for not much longer.

I retired from a well known automotive manufacturer. They have been shut down for weeks, and tomorrow will announce drastic reductions to exempt and salaried positions. Add to this incentives to entice workers to retire early because they do not see our economy coming back for a long, long time. In addition, insurance benefits are going to be cut because they simply cannot afford to provide such a high level of benefits. They, like so many others, are in survival mode.

I seriously hope you are right and I am dead wrong, but I don’t think I am. I think if we don’t get the economy fired up ASAP we are going to sink into a major depression from which we may never recover from.

Sorry to be such a pessimist but that’s my take on it.
4/15/20 8:47 pm

Post Cojak
No matter how you cut it, the economy is not going to be fine. Some will struggle for a few years just to TRY to catch up. Americans like to live in debt it seems, now many families will be trying to catch up on a house payment, two car payments, CC payments and what ever toys they have financed. It scares me for them. Shocked Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/16/20 8:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic