Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days? Dave Dorsey
With all the sports leagues shutting down, the travel ban, multiple states closing schools, multiple states restricting gatherings of 250 or more, and now the national declaration of emergency -- has your perspective or view of COVID-19 changed this week? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/13/20 4:04 pm

Post Re: COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days? Mat
Dave Dorsey wrote:
With all the sports leagues shutting down, the travel ban, multiple states closing schools, multiple states restricting gatherings of 250 or more, and now the national declaration of emergency -- has your perspective or view of COVID-19 changed this week?

Yes, as I don't remember this happening during Swing Flu or other such epidemics/pandemics. We are having church services this Sunday, but I am amazed at the cancellation of so many events in the area, including church services.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/13/20 5:12 pm

Post Cojak
I am not sure. I still think possibly we have too much "The sky is falling down". But I sit here locally in NC and can't see any effects other than the news. Is it as bad as the Yellow Fever? Polio? I never faced Yellow Fever but I remember some quarantines during the polio epidemic in my youth.

To be truthful, I hope it is HYPE and it all blows over. Here locally my grandson will be working at home with his job the next 2 weeks. The youth sports are cancelled. I was surprised at Winter fest being called off. One night the pastor says it will go on the next day it is cancelled.

I don't know if my opinion has changed. I think it is serious, but doesn't deserve the extremes being taken.... I HOPE I AM RIGHT, BUT my opinion doesn't go far and I definitely know nothing about VIRUS! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/13/20 8:21 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
My perspective changed a week or so ago when my daughter read an update from a missionary she knows (not COG) in China, near Wuhan. He reported that the way the Chinese have tried to contain the virus is to pretty much shut down everything except food stores. Your temp is checked coming into and out of the village. He is the only one in his family to leave the house in the last month, and that is only to get food. He said that it has been fatal to folks besides the elderly. They have apparently shown video of children found next to their dead mom...heart wrenching!

The problem is the incubation period can last up to 14 days in which you are contagious (and you may not be exhibiting any symptoms.) Think of all the people you come in contact with in 14 days! You could infect a lot of people and not even be sick yourself.

People like my husband who are immunocomproimised have no way to fight this. Please be careful about contact with others!

Consider this....10 days ago Italy didn't have a single case. Now they are making choices as to who is put on a ventilator and who dies...

We don't need to panic or fear, but we do need to be wise. It's not going to kill us to stay home for a while.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/13/20 9:11 pm

Post jinjer
There are so many things I could say about this reaction/overreaction.

My perspective has not changed. I am a Nurse Practitioner and see sick people all year around. Increased numbers during influenza season.......every year..... our influenza numbers are not reported now because they don't have to be. So, all the patients I see, test and treat, are not reported in the numbers.

First I will say that all people who are immunocompromised should ALWAYS be cautious during influenza season, the fact that everyone keeps throwing this around shows lack of understanding. Any and all respiratory viruses are very hard on those immunocompromised.

Second, people keep saying that H1N1 is a seasonal flu and we can't compare it. However, in 2009, we didn't know that it was just seasonal, it was a NOVEL mutation of influenza. It was far, far worse than what we have now.

Third, I want to address statistics for mortality rates. Mortality rates CANNOT be calculated until an outbreak is over. Projections can be made, but they almost always end up inaccurate, one way or another. Until we test EVERYONE, or at the least everyone that is suspected and the finality of the season is over, we just can't know what the mortality rate is.

Forth, as for China, you cannot believe anything that comes out of China. One thing the US discovered is that China knew about the virus for several months. By not notifying the world, they delayed us in being able to move forward with isolation of the virus, testing, and treatment and vaccines perhaps. Just for a frame of reference, this is how we come up with the seasonal influenza vaccine.

I do agree with being cautious, perhaps staying away from the most vulnerable. But shouldn't we do that with a virus that each year causes 20,000 - 30,000+ deaths, as is the case with seasonal flu a lot of years.

Today's totals in realtime for COVIC19: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Worldwide
147,399 total confirmed
5,534 deaths

US
2,174 confirmed
47 deaths

Numbers of confirmed will go up simply because we will test more and more.

The H1N1 outbreak was far, far worse and nothing like isolation and cancellation was done. Do NOT doubt this is Spiritual warfare. Whether we like it or not, many things like reactions and release of information are political in nature.

Final thoughts, I do believe this virus is real, but just look at the numbers, it just doesn't add up.

Jinjer

BTW: I had 4 positive influenza tests last week........ That was just me, no other provider in my practice.........
Hey, DOC
3/14/20 7:12 am

Post Cojak
jinjer wrote:
There are so many things I could say about this reaction/overreaction.

Thanks for another bit of professional insight. I believe in being careful, I think we are over reacting, partly political. As I have said I hope I am right.
It is always shaky to predict an unknown. Idea
3/15/20 3:26 pm

Post Link
Carolyn Smith wrote:
The problem is the incubation period can last up to 14 days in which you are contagious (and you may not be exhibiting any symptoms.) Think of all the people you come in contact with in 14 days! You could infect a lot of people and not even be sick yourself.

I am in a homegroup with a respitory therapist who treats corona patients. He heard briefings from an expert from Emory who said from their research now, they do not consider it to be airborne. It needs a protein shell to infect others, which means it comes out in coughs and sneezes. He used to think it could be transmitted by an asymptomatic infected person, but they say they do not believe that to be the case. You sneeze or cough it out and it goes down to the ground, not like TB which floats in the air. They think it can infect surfaces for about three days after it's sneezed or coughed out, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

If you ignore active cases, which could go either way, using the Johns Hopkins map of the disease here https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html, some places in China have a mortality rate of about 5% for the disease. But in parts of Italy, its like 48%, which sounds more like the mortality rate of the black death. Iran's mortality rate is under 14%. But it is hard to measure. I exclude active cases, because we do not know how many will recover. But if the disease just hits an area and wipes out the vulnerable in a few days and most of those who get better stay sick a week, those sick will show up in the 'Active' category.

My formula is Death's divided by (Deaths + Recovered). And again, that could be a bad measurement if the deaths tend to occur early after detection.
3/15/20 4:18 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Link wrote:
He used to think it could be transmitted by an asymptomatic infected person, but they say they do not believe that to be the case.

Respectfully, Link, half a dozen studies show this is not the case.

CNN wrote:
But it appears that a Massachusetts coronavirus cluster with at least 82 cases was started by people who were not yet showing symptoms, and more than half a dozen studies have shown that people without symptoms are causing substantial amounts of infection.

Link wrote:
You sneeze or cough it out and it goes down to the ground, not like TB which floats in the air. They think it can infect surfaces for about three days after it's sneezed or coughed out, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

This also seems to have been disproven as shown in this article.

UCLA Researcher Jamie Lloyd-Smith wrote:
What these experiments show is that the virus can remain viable floating in the air for some number of hours. The experiments went out to three hours, and, you know, there were still viable viruses present.

I am sure the person who was sharing this information with you was sincere and was sharing their knowledge to the best of their ability. However, respectfully, the research doesn't seem to corroborate it. Perhaps there is more research that your friend could share?

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 3/15/20 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin
3/15/20 7:39 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Jinjer, I was wondering if you could speak more about how H1N1 might be worse than COVID-19.

The R0 for novel influenza A (H1N1) has recently been estimated to be between 1.4 and 1.6. This value is below values of R0 estimated for the 1918-1919 pandemic strain (mean R0 approximately 2 with a range of 1.4 to 2.8 ) and is comparable to R0 values estimated for seasonal strains of influenza (mean R0 1.3 with a range of 0.9 to 2.1).(source)

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) has an estimated R0 between 1.4 – 6.49 and a mean estimate of 3.28, meaning COVID-19 is clearaly more contagious.(source)

The symptomatic case fatality rate (sCFR) for COVID-19 in countries that are doing wider spread testing than the US currently ranges between .05% and 5%, depending on the country's response. (I agree with you that this is an estimate, and we cannot know the final CFR until the end of the pandemic, but these numbers seem to be in line with what we have seen globally so far for a sCFR.) The estimated sCFR for H1N1 from six studies conducted in Denmark, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States ranged from 0.002% to 0.013% for children, 0.018% to 0.159% for those aged 18 to 64, and 0.090 to 0.308% for seniors.(source)

Just wondering in what respect H1N1 is more dangerous than COVID-19.

Thanks for any research you can share!

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 3/16/20 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin
3/15/20 7:55 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Do some research about what's happening in Italy. They are sinking, people!
3/15/20 8:30 pm

Post My perspective has changed in that..... caseyleejones
People are willing to roll over when the gov't tells them to.

People are willing to put more of their faith in gov't and wanting gov't to do something.

Just like that businesses have to close and any group over than 50 have to cancel...Illinois

Through fear and EO, they have pretty much shut entities down including many churches.
Acts-perienced Poster
3/16/20 10:44 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Churches are moving services online (not closing) out of love and desire to protect their neighbors.

"This proves the church will shut down if the government tells them to" is the worst possible take.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/16/20 11:19 am

Post Dave Dorsey
These restrictions are not an example of people rolling over for government power. Everything that is going into place is doing so with the broad consent of the governed, because the governed broadly understand the danger and the need to act decisively.

You cannot rationally compare this to how people would react in a situation in which the government tried to take over just because, or a situation in which the government made up a reason for doing so.

What you are seeing is the power of the people channeled through local and state authorities. It is federalism at its finest. And when it is over, those people will withdraw their consent and normal government will return.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/17/20 7:38 am

Post Re: COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days? Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
With all the sports leagues shutting down, the travel ban, multiple states closing schools, multiple states restricting gatherings of 250 or more, and now the national declaration of emergency -- has your perspective or view of COVID-19 changed this week?

AGAIN IT HAS CHANGED........

We buried my cousin down in Calhoun, GA about 2 weeks ago. I had a chance to spend time with his younger brother Eddie. I had not seen him in years. He was in good health. Three days ago I heard he was in the hospital with pneumonia in both lungs. He could not breath they sent off the Corona-virus test, placed him in ICU in an induced coma. The results came back today, he has the coronavirus. I never thought I would see this virus in our family bt now I have.
So yes that sorta changes my attitude. However I still think the news media isn't helping, but adding to the panic.
Embarassed Embarassed
3/17/20 6:04 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I am so sorry for your loss Cojak. Crying or Very sad I hope and pray Eddie comes through this. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/17/20 6:31 pm

Post Re: COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days? Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:

AGAIN IT HAS CHANGED........

We buried my cousin down in Calhoun, GA about 2 weeks ago. I had a chance to spend time with his younger brother Eddie. I had not seen him in years. He was in good health. Three days ago I heard he was in the hospital with pneumonia in both lungs. He could not breath they sent off the Corona-virus test, placed him in ICU in an induced coma. The results came back today, he has the coronavirus. I never thought I would see this virus in our family bt now I have.
So yes that sorta changes my attitude. However I still think the news media isn't helping, but adding to the panic.
Embarassed Embarassed

Not to be a negative Nelly, but I hope you realize, Cojak, that your cousin Eddie could have exposed you to the coronavirus. If you have ANY symptoms, please get it checked out!

And sorry to hear of your loss.
3/17/20 8:49 pm

Post Re: COVID-19: Has your perspective changed over the last couple of days? Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Not to be a negative Nelly, but I hope you realize, Cojak, that your cousin Eddie could have exposed you to the coronavirus. If you have ANY symptoms, please get it checked out!

And sorry to hear of your loss.

Oh yes, we are paying close attention and sticking around the house. My son just called (after I sent out an APB to family) said, "Watch your temp, every hospital I deliver or pick up from takes my temp and if a temp cannot complete my mission, so far so good."
He is a courier and handles a lot of samples and blood for tests.

So YES we are watching. Son also said Eddie could have contracted his virus at the funeral from someone we did not interact with. So far his wife has not tested positive.

NOTE: The funeral was for cousin Kenneth. His dad was COG preacher. Due to a disagreement with the COG pastor Ken left the COG and joined a Baptist church. The Preachers at the funeral called him a Bapticostal missionary. LOL He had converted one of them. Wink Cool
3/18/20 9:39 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic