Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Miracle Bible oil" is actually from Tractor Supply Company (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Miracle Bible oil" is actually from Tractor Supply Company (L) Dave Dorsey
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/feb/18/ministry-bible-oil-shuts-down-defends-work/515976/

Quote:
In the days since the Times Free Press published its investigation into the His Name is Flowing Oil ministry in Dalton, Georgia, the team behind the Bible allegedly producing oil continues to defend its ministry, despite admitting its leader bought mineral oil and canceling all future prayer services.

The Times Free Press wrote about the group in November 2019, but began investigating the ministry in the months following, finding that Pearce bought large amounts of mineral oil from the Tractor Supply Co. in Dalton. In a November interview, Pearce said the Bible does not produce oil when the group is traveling with it. The oil only flows when the book is in Dalton, he said.

A series of chemical analyses by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga of Pearce's oil compared to the Ideal brand mineral oil at Tractor Supply found Pearce's oil is petroleum-derived and is a nearly exact match to the product sold at Tractor Supply.

When the Times Free Press began questioning the ministry in January, the ministry said it would not defend its work, something it also said in a November interview.

Since then, however, the ministry began posting messages to its thousands of followers on its website. In a Feb. 4 post, the group said the Bible stopped producing oil on Jan. 10, though it made no mention of this at the weekly gatherings or while visiting several churches in Tennessee and Georgia during the month.

I remember seeing folks talk about this here when it became popular. Figured you might like to see an update.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/27/20 3:27 pm

Post Cojak
It makes you a little sick Thinking this has gone on so long. If it is real it can stand scrutiny. There are a few things I have problems with and this was one the other is Gold appearing in teeth. I just had a filling fall out today. I have always wondered it God wanted to repair teeth He could make them as new.

There may be a few more, but those stick out. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/27/20 9:04 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Here's a longer read on the "oil Bible" and how the miracle scam fell apart. It's from Slate, but it's not a political piece, so it should be fairly safe reading, haha. https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/02/oil-bible-dalton-georgia-trump-prophecy-evangelical-miracle.html

Cojak, I couldn't agree more, but sure as I'm typing this I'll bet someone will come along and take more issue with me posting this than they do with folks trying to pull the wool over on God's people.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/27/20 9:10 pm

Post Cojak
Quote:
“It has brought people closer to God, it has brought people healing, it has rekindled people’s faith and curiosity,” she said. “Even if one day it’s proven that all this was a sham.”

I hope that is true, but also hate it that many will be disillusioned. Shocked As unfortunately I have been at things that were NOT as they appeared. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/27/20 11:17 pm

Post Link
What if his story were true, that the Bible did produce oil, it stopped, and he bought some mineral oil, thinking about keeping the whole thing going? If something like that were going on and you owned the Bible, you'd better use castor oil or stool softener if you get constipated because if you buy mineral oil, people might conclude the whole thing was a con.

I saw a video about a Bible dripping oil maybe 13 years ago, and I've heard of other things like that. I can understand the widow's oil multiplying in the Bible because she and her child and a prophet could use it with flour to make bread, and the other woman could sell the oil. The miracles had a practical point. Water into wine was for the wedding guests. Jesus walking on water got Him out to the boat.

Oil Bible oil, gem stones, and angel feathers don't seem to have that same practical purpose.

My wife spoke in tongues and gave an interpretation while ministering to a woman after church. The word was about her being anointed. She started getting a little anxious because she had oil on her forehead, and no one had put it there. I asked her if she normally had a greasy forehead. She laughed and said 'no.' In that case, it aligned with the word she had received. My wife had seen an oil Bible video and prayed for stuff like that to happen to her.

I don't think I'd want to fry potatoes in Bible oil, especially if it's like mineral oil. And I know I don't want to fry potatoes in miracle oil that comes from someone's hands or forehead.
2/28/20 1:18 am

Post Link
What if his story were true, that the Bible did produce oil, it stopped, and he bought some mineral oil, thinking about keeping the whole thing going? If something like that were going on and you owned the Bible, you'd better use castor oil or stool softener if you get constipated because if you buy mineral oil, people might conclude the whole thing was a con.

I saw a video about a Bible dripping oil maybe 13 years ago, and I've heard of other things like that. I can understand the widow's oil multiplying in the Bible because she and her child and a prophet could use it with flour to make bread, and the other woman could sell the oil. The miracles had a practical point. Water into wine was for the wedding guests. Jesus walking on water got Him out to the boat.

Oil Bible oil, gem stones, and angel feathers don't seem to have that same practical purpose.

My wife spoke in tongues and gave an interpretation while ministering to a woman after church. The word was about her being anointed. She started getting a little anxious because she had oil on her forehead, and no one had put it there. I asked her if she normally had a greasy forehead. She laughed and said 'no.' In that case, it aligned with the word she had received. My wife had seen an oil Bible video and prayed for stuff like that to happen to her.

I don't think I'd want to fry potatoes in Bible oil, especially if it's like mineral oil. And I know I don't want to fry potatoes in miracle oil that comes from someone's hands or forehead.
2/28/20 1:18 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Unless something has changed since I read it, the man said he bought a lot of mineral oil from Tractor Supply, but he also said he did not use it to fill the vials of oil.

These folks never charged a penny for the oil and also always said healing did not take place because of the oil but because of faith. They have said the oil has stopped flowing from time to time before.

Maybe I am just gullible but I do believe God does strange things to confound the wise at times. We don't have to agree or understand.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/28/20 6:40 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quote:
Carolyn, don't you think it's a little strange that the Bible oil in the vials was an exact match to the oil on sale at TSC?

What was he buying all that mineral oil for?

Most of the time, the easiest explanation is the correct one. Sad

From the video's I have seen they say the oil was tested and those testing said they could not determine where the oil came from.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/28/20 7:20 am

Post Someone asked me about it. roughridercog
I held out my Bible and said, "I'm open minded. Show me it in the Word."

They said they couldn't find such a manifestation in the Bible.

My reply, "Exactly."
2/28/20 8:13 am

Post Re: Someone asked me about it. Link
roughridercog wrote:
I held out my Bible and said, "I'm open minded. Show me it in the Word."

They said they couldn't find such a manifestation in the Bible.

My reply, "Exactly."

There are plenty of passages along the lines that the Lord may do as He pleases.

'Yahweh, He is God!' comes to mind from the story of Elijah at Mt. Carmel. And the Wind (Spirit) bloweth where it listeth.

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about 'strange stuff' that doesn't fit into my Biblical grid, though, and don't feel as much motivation to pray for it as I would for something I see is clearly Biblical like healing.

But about oil, oil flowed out of a rock, and there are a couple of oil multiplication miracles in the Bible. Both were mutiplication of, presumably, edible, (potable?) oils.
2/28/20 5:37 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quote:
Carolyn, don't you think it's a little strange that the Bible oil in the vials was an exact match to the oil on sale at TSC?

What was he buying all that mineral oil for?

Most of the time, the easiest explanation is the correct one. Sad

From the video's I have seen they say the oil was tested and those testing said they could not determine where the oil came from.

As I said on Facebook, when it comes to miracles, I'd rather be considered gullible than cynical.
2/29/20 12:30 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn, the Chemical Engineering laboratories at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga tested the Bible oil and a sample from TSC and determined they were a nearly exact match. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/feb/13/claims-bible-daltflowing-oil-undermined-new-i/515550/

With respect, I would propose that "gullible" and "cynical" are not the only options. Scripture charges us to test and prove all things. This is not a charge for us to be cynical, but it is a charge for us to be discerning.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/29/20 1:20 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Carolyn, the Chemical Engineering laboratories at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga tested the Bible oil and a sample from TSC and determined they were a nearly exact match. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/feb/13/claims-bible-daltflowing-oil-undermined-new-i/515550/

With respect, I would propose that "gullible" and "cynical" are not the only options. Scripture charges us to test and prove all things. This is not a charge for us to be cynical, but it is a charge for us to be discerning.

I've read the stories online, too. Everyone is shouting scam, but where's the scam? They didn't charge anything for the oil. They didn't even claim it was the oil that healed people. It appears to me they were simply sharing something they didn't even understand in case it touched someone else in the way it had touched them.

If you believe the man that said he did buy the mineral oil from TS, why would you not believe his saying he didn't use it to fill the vials? Sorry, the lab report doesn't really convince me because people can manipulate them too. And some would justify anything to discredit people of God.

People were healed. I know of a local woman who was healed. No, there's nothing about it in the Word, except the multiplication of oil that's been mentioned already. But God can do anything He chooses and in any way He chooses. He even uses some of us - broken vessels at best.

If you put your faith in anything besides the blood/power of Jesus, you're going to be disappointed. Keep your eyes on Jesus.

In the Christian world, if you believe something like this, you're considered gullible or stupid. I'm not staking my faith on this event...I just think it's interesting and it's possible God could use something like this to draw people to Himself. And I think it's dangerous to go against things we don't understand. How many COG folks said the Brownsville revival was fake? We tend to speak against what we don't understand.

I agree we need to be discerning. That's not my greatest gift, I will admit. But I think we need to be careful in what we don't understand lest we wind up on the wrong side of something God is doing.
2/29/20 2:23 pm

Post I brought this up months ago and many here called it legit caseyleejones
and a miracle.

I had my doubts....just was not sure.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/29/20 10:56 pm

Post Link
Dave Dorsey wrote:

Paul probably did not have chemical tests in mind when he said 'prove all things', but while we are talking about tests, someone could try putting a book in mineral oi and see if they can turn the pages without them tearing or being damaged like they would if they were dipped in water. I wouldn't want to ruin a Bible over it, though.

If a Bible were miraculously pouring out oil, what kind of oil should it be? olive oil? Some kind of wood oil? Why couldn't it be mineral oil?

I'm not sure why a Bible would need to leak oil, though, as a miracle.
3/1/20 9:08 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Link wrote:
If a Bible were miraculously pouring out oil, what kind of oil should it be? olive oil? Some kind of wood oil? Why couldn't it be mineral oil?

The point is that it was a nearly exact match for a particular type of oil-- the oil this guy was buying in massive bulk at TSC. I really don't think anyone needs to be a cynic to be able to add two and two here.

BTW, I was not suggesting the Bible directs chemical testing when I referenced proving all things. But it does command that we not be a people who just uncritically accept anyone who says something is happening in the name of the Lord.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/1/20 9:22 am

Post Link
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Link wrote:

The point is that it was a nearly exact match for a particular type of oil-- the oil this guy was buying in massive bulk at TSC. I really don't think anyone needs to be a cynic to be able to add two and two here.

BTW, I was not suggesting the Bible directs chemical testing when I referenced proving all things. But it does command that we not be a people who just uncritically accept anyone who says something is happening in the name of the Lord.

Why wouldn't it be an exact match? Does the matching technology not give enough detail to tell that it is exact, or does that mean it is not the exact same type of oil?
3/1/20 9:29 am

Post Dave Dorsey
The lab performed a spectroscopy, which identifies the molecular compounds in a substance by using radiography to measure the electromagnetic radiation the compounds emit. It was a 99.99% match, which might as well be exact. I said nearly exact simply for the sake of accuracy, but in spectroscopy a 99.99% match might as well be 100%.

Edit: I think the actual term is spectrometry. Spectroscopy is the general field. Anyway, whatever it's called, that's what the test does.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 3/1/20 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/1/20 11:45 am

Post Patrick Harris
Dave Dorsey wrote:
The lab performed a spectroscopy, which identifies the molecular compounds in a substance by using radiography to measure the electromagnetic radiation the compounds emit. It was a 99.99% match, which might as well be exact. I said nearly exact simply for the sake of accuracy, but in spectroscopy a 99.99% match might as well be 100%.

All it takes is a small bit of contamination or just a difference in a batch for it not to be an exact match for that kind of testing. 99.99% is a solid match in any sense of the world might as well be 100%.
Acts Enthusiast
3/1/20 1:29 pm

Post JLarry
The Lord needs no help in producing miracles

I don't know enough to make the calling but if it was in any fake. I pity those involved in this.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
3/1/20 2:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic