Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

1918: COG Bible Training School, now Lee U, began with 18 Students. One student died from the flu. What was her name?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post 1918: COG Bible Training School, now Lee U, began with 18 Students. One student died from the flu. What was her name? doyle
What was her name? Where was she from? What was her home church? How their hearts, and the hearts of her Loved Ones must have grieved. She obviously loved the Lord and wanted to learn more of His Word.

Is she buried in Cleveland or was her body transported by train back to her home town?

Let's work together and develop this amazing human interest story. Post what you find on the board, send me a PM or text, email, or phone me.

Does anyone have a historical record of the name of the precious young woman who died of the flu in 1918 while attending the COG Bible Training School, now Lee University?

IN THE THIRD response to the article about the 1918 COG Assembly being closed down because of the massive flu pandemic, "Mat" shares about a young female Bible student who died. General Overseer A.J. Tomlinson and his wife kept the unmarried female students at their home.

When one of them fell ill with the flu, the Tomlinson's, at the risk of their own lives, continued to care for her. Mat shares why that happened.

MAT'S POST
http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=89793

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
404-933-1373

Last edited by doyle on 3/2/20 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
2/24/20 5:20 pm

Post Bonnie Terrill Mat
Doyle,

According to AJT's Diary entry for November 27, 1918, the Bible School student who died in the Tomlinson House was "Mrs. Bennie (sic) Terrill". I did not see any information as to where she was from or buried.

AJT reports two other students are in the home were sick as well - Blanche Koon and Mary Rowell, but it seems they recovered, as did AJT and others who were effected.

The assembly that was canceled by the government was scheduled for October 30 - November 5, in Harriman, TN.

Much of AJT's November 27 entry in his diary shares various expansions of the church work and printing ministry, plus news about the government shutting down churches services (four Sundays). He also records his concern about Homer, who had enlisted in the Army, being in France for sometime.

He ends with entry with, "My dear wife has never taken the influenza although she has had the care of fourteen or more cases. God has sustained and held her up. Thanks to His name. He is so good to us."

Note: I think there were both male and female students who stayed in the Tomlinson House in the beginning years of the Bible School.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/20 9:50 am

Post Cojak
All this information is very interesting. And It is so strange my parents and those of my wife, never mentioned the Spanish Flu, and they were in their mid teens in 1918.
I wish they alive now to ask....

To Matt, It is amazing to be privy to Bro A.J.'s journal....

My wife just said, "I sure wish the split had never happened." It is strange how hindsight is supposed to be 20/20, BUT it can still be tainted by old memories and hard hearts.
Life is good. Wink Shocked Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/25/20 12:42 pm

Post In 2023 ... Mat
Cojak wrote:
All this information is very interesting. And It is so strange my parents and those of my wife, never mentioned the Spanish Flu, and they were in their mid teens in 1918.
I wish they alive now to ask....

To Matt, It is amazing to be privy to Bro A.J.'s journal....

My wife just said, "I sure wish the split had never happened." It is strange how hindsight is supposed to be 20/20, BUT it can still be tainted by old memories and hard hearts.
Life is good. Wink Shocked Idea

In 2023 it will be 100 years since the split - I see new generations raising who will be open to a reconciliation for the unity of the movement.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/20 2:34 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic