Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Somebody said something like, "if you can't say it in 20 minutes, sit down"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Somebody said something like, "if you can't say it in 20 minutes, sit down" Dean Steenburgh
Years ago I heard someone say something along the line of, "as the old famous preacher once said, 'son, if you can't say it in 20 minutes or less, sit down'"

Any of you ever remember hearing this great sage advice?
Maybe somebody's memory is a lot sharper than mine lol

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/16/20 12:18 am

Post Here is the deal Dean, it has been proven that the caseyleejones
mind can only tolerate what the butt can. Also, a child's attention span is only good for 1 minute per year and peaks out at 15 minutes. That means you really only have an adults attention at most 15 minutes before the mind wanders.

That said, it doesn't mean you have to stop. Switch gears for a minute then go back. As a teacher, I lecture 10-15 minutes then students might debate a point for a minute or students work a problem on the board for a minute or two. Guess what, go back to lecture and the 15 minutes starts over. Switch gears and then go back.

Think church, doing an illustration, add a time of pondering or soul searching then go back to the sermon...your 15 minutes begins again.

That said, I have sat under bible teachers where 90 minutes of straight one directional teaching had me the whole time but understand, this was not weekly church and was more of a church conference.

Think about how Jesus used illustrations. He used everything around him to make illustrations. The fruit around him, objects as well as current events. God made people with unlimited imaginations. I use that. I can honestly say I remember many of the sermons I saw on stage as opposed to the ones I heard.

Last edited by caseyleejones on 2/16/20 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
2/16/20 9:36 am

Post Cojak
I have heard it said that Bill Sheeks was the master of the short sermon. I have heard him preach many times and worked for him once and never noticed it, other than to say "He always said something, something real."

Also one of my businesses was a roach-coach (catering truck to the uninitiated) in the Charlotte area. I had heard of Loran Livingston . I knew his father in law, but not him. Loran had a 5 minute daily radio program that I caught during the morning. After a few mornings I realized many times he said in 5 minutes more than I and many others could say in 30-60.
His ability and his anointing has proven itself in his winning of souls.

My dad was a successful pastor and 90% of the time his sermons were less than 30 minutes.

I look back thru all the schools I attended in my life and remember only 2 teachers who held your attention for an entire class. Looking back at the preachers I have heard and there were several after an hour, I could have listened to more. examples: George Vhooris, Charles Conn, EArl Paulk Sr. and SA Lankford. But in my lifetime most long-winded preachers I started looking at my watch... Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/16/20 5:58 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Our pastors typically preach 40-50 minutes, and generally do exactly what Casey described -- a well-timed illustration or media element to briefly change the pace and "reset" the timer. I don't think this is an intentional strategy on their part (resetting the timer) so much as it's just something they've come to recognize as effective over the years.

Unless we are somehow physically afflicted (sick, or just tired -- thanks kids!) my wife and I never have any trouble staying plugged in for the whole sermon. I didn't really recognize why until I read Casey's post, but I think that's it.

I'm not sure who said the original quote, though I've also heard it. It's a good quote and worth considering. Though, I mostly agree with folks who say that is not enough time to get into a proper exegesis of a text.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/20 6:54 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I wonder if Jesus or Paul knew about this ‘sage’ advice? Seems they were so longwinded people were about to faint from exhaustion. Some fell asleep.

All these nifty marketing strategies are just worldly wisdom.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/20 7:10 pm

Post MrSippi
I just don’t buy it! We watch 4 hour football games, two hour movies, 2 hour basketball games, and etc.

One will be passionate and engaged in what they care about.
Friendly Face
2/16/20 8:38 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
MrSippi wrote:
I just don’t buy it! We watch 4 hour football games, two hour movies, 2 hour basketball games, and etc.

One will be passionate and engaged in what they care about.

A very good point there Brother. I have heard it said that the modern day church (NOT COG) has 3 20 minute sessions: 20 minutes Praise and Worship, 20 minutes preaching, 20 minutes fellowship. I imagine the offering is part of the preaching. Don't know - not the way in our church.
Friendly Face
2/16/20 9:41 pm

Post We specialize in taking something Jesus said in 2 minutes..., roughridercog
And trying to improve upon it by elaborating on it for an hour. Laughing
2/17/20 7:49 am

Post jeremiah2911_4me
Dr Tom Tatum used to tell us in his classes the best advice he ever received and he passed on to his preaching students is :

Stand up to be seen

Speak up to be heard

Sit down to be appreciated......
Acts-celerater
2/17/20 9:15 am

Post And when you have a guest speaker... roughridercog
Don't repreach the message or preach a second one at the close. Smile
2/17/20 12:16 pm

Post I am doing it all wrong... KevinWallace
I need to revisit and retool my pulpit approach.
2/17/20 1:50 pm

Post Re: I am doing it all wrong... Cojak
KevinWallace wrote:
I need to revisit and retool my pulpit approach.

Some succeed where others cannot, because they CAN, Cool
2/17/20 6:40 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
It's O.K. to go longer, but if we are not careful we will have 10 minutes of content and 30 minutes of repetition and rabbit chasing. When I'm given a time limit, it forces me to be concise and clear with my points. In one of may class projects in seminary was to do a 15 minute service including the Lord's supper. This was to help us understand how some persecuted congregations meet for fellowship. To my surprise, all the groups were creative and effective. I still prefer a longer service, but it showed me that time is not a factor for the sake of the Gospel.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/18/20 3:15 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Wow Eduardo, that sounds like a really, really cool assignment. Thanks for sharing about it. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/18/20 3:25 pm

Post Cojak
Eduardo Nieves wrote:
It's O.K. to go longer, but if we are not careful we will have 10 minutes of content and 30 minutes of repetition and rabbit chasing. When I'm given a time limit, it forces me to be concise and clear with my points. In one of may class projects in seminary was to do a 15 minute service including the Lord's supper. This was to help us understand how some persecuted congregations meet for fellowship. To my surprise, all the groups were creative and effective. I still prefer a longer service, but it showed me that time is not a factor for the sake of the Gospel.

I like that my friend, There are times when one knows the clock is ticking. No doubt there are times, that time doesn't count. But there are times it does.

Hope you and your family are well and you are enjoying God's blessings. Cool
2/18/20 4:57 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
Thanks Cojak! We are doing well. I've been praying for you.

Cojak wrote:
Eduardo Nieves wrote:

I like that my friend, There are times when one knows the clock is ticking. No doubt there are times, that time doesn't count. But there are times it does.

Hope you and your family are well and you are enjoying God's blessings. Cool

Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/19/20 5:52 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
My question was more along the lines of, 'does anyone remember the saying or maybe the one who originally said it?'

I wasn't referring to the content or the pace of our current churches or the lack thereof lol

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/19/20 7:51 pm

Post Cojak
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
My question was more along the lines of, 'does anyone remember the saying or maybe the one who originally said it?'

I wasn't referring to the content or the pace of our current churches or the lack thereof lol

My daddy said it in the 1950s but I am sure it was a quote not original, so it has been around a long time. Shocked
2/20/20 12:30 pm

Post sadlytrue77
If it can't be said in 30 minutes, it ought to be two sermons.

New Orleans Bred, Mississippi Led, Hopefully Arizona will be home before I'm dead.
*OnceASaintsFanAlwaysASaintsFan*
Friendly Face
2/20/20 7:23 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic