Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I Ate Bison and It Tasted Like Ostrich

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I Ate Bison and It Tasted Like Ostrich Link
Not too long ago, I ate some Bison, American buffalo, ground beef. It tasted to me just like hamburger with no fat. Years ago, I had an ostrich steak at a steak house in the same building as the Jakarta Theater, near the street where a bombing would take place many years later. The ostrich was from Zimbabwe, Zaire, or some African country with a Z. It tasted just like tasted just like steak with no fat.

I had water buffalo, too, a different animal. That tastes like regular beef to me, except some of it is really tough. I probably ate those steaks after they had been behind the plow for over 20 years. Boiled water buffalo is better. The soup I had in a mountain village reminded me of my grandmother's stew beef, but it had really large visible strands of muscle compared to regular beef.

I had some sea turtle without knowing what it was. Some sea turtles are endangered. It tasted like bald eagle.

Just kidding. I never had bald eagle. Turtle was kind of dark and sort of sweet almost, and rubbery a little but not much.

I posted on this forum that I had never eaten dog. Shortly after that, I was in a mountain village in Sumatra. I had some super hot chicken and parts of some large 'gold fish' (different species from the pets and really good) with pork broth served in a beer glass. I went out for Chinese noodles and was the only one to get a certain type of noodle. I got horribly sick for about 12 hours, and was fortunately staying somewhere with a sit-down toilet, the only place I know of in that part of the mountains. Then, I went to make a little presentation on some business ideas for the village before the cultural ceremony started.

We ate. The food was super hot dog and super hot chicken. And I don't mean hot dogs. I mean spicy. They served broth in a glass. I had been sick so I ate broth and rice. I got toward the bottom of my plate and rice and it occurred to me that they weren't serving pork, and there was a pretty good chance the broth did not come from a chicken. Sure enough, it was dog broth.
12/17/19 11:03 pm

Post Cojak
Never had dog, water buffalo or even ostrich. I do like alligator and buffalo. Most of my 'foreign to me' food was Europe and the Mediterranean area. Once in Turkey I ate some kind of soup where the cook was cooking in one giant copper. He was cutting fresh meat into one side while serving from the other. I was hoping somehow he was keeping it separate. It wasn't bad, sorta like a pork or chicken soup. Later I learned it was lamb.

Okay you did make me smile at the Bald Eagle. LOL

My dad's family from N Georgia (Toccoa area) ate anything with four legs (even possum) methinks but not dog or cat of course, we frown on eating pets here in the South.

Dad said possum was too greasy. I sold frog legs many years before I ate them and found they were good.

I bet your wife can come up with some good dishes.
Personally I find it hard to beat cornbread and milk. LOL Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/18/19 9:36 am

Post Da Sheik
Reminds me of a joke I heard

Forgiveness

There was a man standing before a judge in California for shooting a Condor. This a protected bird and people who kill them must pay the consequences.

The man pleaded with the judge by saying, “I just arrived in this state and I have never seen a bird that large before. I was hungry and could not help myself to shoot and eat it.

The judge said, “I forgive you, just don’t let it happen again!” The man replied, ”Yes, sir!”

The judge curious about the bird asked the man how did it taste? The man replied, “Oh, I guess somewhere between a Whooping Crane and a spotted owl.”
Acts Enthusiast
12/18/19 11:21 am

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Reminds me of a joke I heard

Forgiveness

There was a man standing before a judge in California for shooting a Condor. This a protected bird and people who kill them must pay the consequences.

The man pleaded with the judge by saying, “I just arrived in this state and I have never seen a bird that large before. I was hungry and could not help myself to shoot and eat it.

The judge said, “I forgive you, just don’t let it happen again!” The man replied, ”Yes, sir!”

The judge curious about the bird asked the man how did it taste? The man replied, “Oh, I guess somewhere between a Whooping Crane and a spotted owl.”
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy OUCH
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/18/19 9:53 pm

Post Link
Cojak wrote:
Never had dog, water buffalo or even ostrich. I do like alligator and buffalo. Most of my 'foreign to me' food was Europe and the Mediterranean area. Once in Turkey I ate some kind of soup where the cook was cooking in one giant copper. He was cutting fresh meat into one side while serving from the other. I was hoping somehow he was keeping it separate. It wasn't bad, sorta like a pork or chicken soup. Later I learned it was lamb.

Okay you did make me smile at the Bald Eagle. LOL

My dad's family from N Georgia (Toccoa area) ate anything with four legs (even possum) methinks but not dog or cat of course, we frown on eating pets here in the South.

Dad said possum was too greasy. I sold frog legs many years before I ate them and found they were good.

I bet your wife can come up with some good dishes.
Personally I find it hard to beat cornbread and milk. LOL Embarassed

We have a lot in common geographically. My dad was not born in Toccoa, but his family eventually settled there, and his father was from Walhalla across the border. We'll have to PM if my box isn't too full.
12/18/19 10:14 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/20/19 7:33 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I haven’t gotten out as much as Link and Cojak, but I have had alligator legs and found them quite good. “A lot like chicken,” as they say. Dark meat chicken that is. Frog legs were similar in taste, but not as good and a lot more fishy flavored to me. Speaking of fish, walleye is absolutely the best-tasting fish I ever had. Wish I could get it down here in New Mexico.

That being said, I had not lived until I first had a taste of elk a buddy of mine had killed a few years ago. A lot like beef, but much more savory. My mouth is watering just remembering how good it was. Bison is good too, in my experience, but nothing beats elk.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/20/19 7:39 am

Post revuriah
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I haven’t gotten out as much as Link and Cojak, but I have had alligator legs and found them quite good. “A lot like chicken,” as they say. Dark meat chicken that is. Frog legs were similar in taste, but not as good and a lot more fishy flavored to me. Speaking of fish, walleye is absolutely the best-tasting fish I ever had. Wish I could get it down here in New Mexico.

That being said, I had not lived until I first had a taste of elk a buddy of mine had killed a few years ago. A lot like beef, but much more savory. My mouth is watering just remembering how good it was. Bison is good too, in my experience, but nothing beats elk.

Was it similar to venison (elk)? It is part of the deer family. Years ago in Michigan, I was working a camp out with Justin Stewart with the youth boys in the field behind VL (before the new building was there). We had a bonfire going and he went in the house to get some venison steaks for us. We cooked them over the open flames and ate them like cavemen, lol. Bare handed. But it was one of the tastiest steaks I’ve ever had.

Bison is great. I wish I could get Pennesha to eat it. It’s just wild beef. Alligator and frog legs are awesome, but the worst for me was crawfish. Too greasy and more fishy than fish. And yeah, walleye is great. Good northern fish and fun to reel in.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/20/19 8:47 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
It wasn’t similar to venison at all really. It was a like the best tasting beef ever to me, but more savory than beef. Fuddrucker’s sells elk burgers and bison burgers around here. They are really tasty, but not quite as tasty as my friend’s elk was. His wife had made it into a meatloaf, which I’m sure she added spices to. Even Jaime raved about how good it was, and she’s generally not one to try (or like) new foods. I haven’t yet had an elk steak, but maybe one day. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/20/19 9:09 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I really loved the fried crawfish at Popeye’s when I had it several years back. A sweet tasting version of shrimp is what it reminded me of. I am not a fan of any boiled shellfish though. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/20/19 9:11 am

Post revuriah
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I really loved the fried crawfish at Popeye’s when I had it several years back. A sweet tasting version of shrimp is what it reminded me of. I am not a fan of any boiled shellfish though.

The crawfish I had was from a Cajun style boil. Eww.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/21/19 1:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic