Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Tent Preachers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Tent Preachers Cojak
I mentioned in a comment on Links last post about Religion that my dad was a tent preacher. He had a 30x60 tent he used for years. I can remember saw dust or shavings, the smell of old canvas and the car axles used as stakes.

He was one of the thousands of preachers throughout the USA that used a tent. He was an evangelist from about 1920-1930. In the 30's he organized the S. Gastonia COG from the tent.

I am the last of 7 children, everyone else is gone. I have a mystery. Where did daddy keep that tent? I never remember it being moved from church to church. People like Oral Roberts, TL Lowery big or small like 'Claudie Dial' the Lumbee Indian. They had tractor and trailer trucks to haul their tents.

I can't even imagine the weight associated with the 'small' 30x60 tent. The center poles and the 20-30 car axles for stakes. Anyway, he must have stored it somewhere on friends land or my brothers land in Shelby, NC later. I cannot remember a thing about were it was when he was not using it. It definitely was his and not rented.

There were snake oil salesmen in tents and honest GOD fearing men who used tents. There was no permits & insurance required I am sure.

THAT IS NOT A FACT TODAY, INSURANCE AND PERMITS ARE REQUIRED.

Most churches started in homes, then tents, then buildings. Was there any significant parts of your life associated with tents. I know at least two ministers that were saved in one of Dad's tent meetings.

Idea Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/8/19 11:05 am

Post Thank God for those men! Aaron Scott
They loved God enough to take the gospel to the people. While that age has almost vanished (as surely has vaudeville), many of us would not be here today had it not been for those tent revivalists. And even if we would have been here, I can tell you that my life was the sweeter for knowing a few such men. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/8/19 7:47 pm

Post diakoneo
Harold Catoe
Talley McGowan

Don't remember every evangelist from my youth but I remember these two tent preachers. Of course T. L. Lowery also
My dad has a cassettes recording of him when he brought his tent to our little town back in the 1960s.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/8/19 9:37 pm

Post My opinion? roughridercog
Some tent preachers succeeded because the tent gave them an instant auditorium where they could control the environment. All they had to worry about was local power and fire codes and a place to set up the tent.

Some preachers succeeded in tents because local churches would not welcome their message.

Some are nuts and fruitcakes.
11/12/19 8:48 am

Post Re: My opinion? Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
Some tent preachers succeeded because the tent gave them an instant auditorium where they could control the environment. All they had to worry about was local power and fire codes and a place to set up the tent.

Some preachers succeeded in tents because local churches would not welcome their message.

Some are nuts and fruitcakes.

True statements methinks....... I have seen a few of the nuts! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/12/19 9:02 am

Post UncleJD
I have a cousin who's husband still does tent revivals. Its in Oklahoma so I guess folks there are still receptive to them. I haven't seen one in Texas in years. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/12/19 11:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic