Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

UNFORTUNATE headline ABOUT Paul Conn & negative comment about Tim Hill

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post UNFORTUNATE headline ABOUT Paul Conn & negative comment about Tim Hill doyle
Sometimes, even though it is OK to say it, HOW we say it can turn it into a negative. Two recent posts seem to illustrate the point.

One headline "Conn out at Lee," shares the news that Paul Conn may be retiring as Lee U President to possibly become School Chancellor. I do not think the poster intended the headline to be negative, however, the "out at Lee" could give the connotation that Dr. Conn was being pushed out for some reason.

Recently I was talking with some media people here in Georgia. They asked which church I was a member of. I said, "Church of God." They had a puzzled look on their faces. One said, "Is Lee University part of that group? When I said "yes," their faces lit up. Each one had a glowing story about someone they had meet from Lee, a professor there, a friend who attended there, and all of knew about the Lee Singers.

One exclaimed, "On yes, those Lee singing "kids" (sorry young people) are incredible."

Because his life's work involves our heart, the education of our children, Dr. Conn's more than 30 years of meritorious and highly-acclaimed service is far beyond commendable. It is in this writer's opinion, stellar. One can imagine that the challenges of his work as President at Lee, has been far more difficult at times than we can imagine.

Most likely, few leaders in COG history have had a more positive and long-lasting impact on the COG, than Dr. Conn's Father who wrote the history, "Like A Mighty Army," and Dr. Paul Conn. The Conn family has been and is a continuing positive force in the COG.

Some others excelled too but Dr. Paul Conn has been making that impact now for over 30 years.

It is also important to say that the poster who used that "Conn out at Lee" heading, has been and is highly-respected here. His many former excellent posts are appreciated.
________

TIM HILL: Down in the body of a different post, a different poster says that Dr. Tim Hill is "plotting" to replace Paul Conn at Lee U. The word "plotting" throws upon that statement a ton negativism. None of us can know what Dr. Hill is thinking unless he has shared it with us.

Any member or minister in the COG has the right to consider holding the office of President of Lee. However, there is a great difference in considering or looking into something than it is to "plot." The word "plot" turns a completely normal consideration into something with evil intent.

It seems that Dr. Hill has excelled in every endeavor he has set out to do. His abilities and Christian demeanor motivated thousands of his fellow ministers and the entire General Assembly, to elect him to be leader of the COG. In this writer's opinion, those same abilities and demeanor would qualify him to take on whatever challenge the Lord has him to do.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
404-933-1373
11/12/19 1:53 pm

Post Dr Conn zjudah1
Thank you Doyle. My family has tremendous respect for Dr. Conn. His shoes will be difficult to fill. I did see the heading you are addressing, and was put off so much by it I did NOT even open it up to read. Truthfully, you don't need a Degree to see the negative implication of the heading alone.
Thank you again!
Friendly Face
11/13/19 10:35 am

Post Not being COG ... Mat
Not being COG, I sometimes marvel at the extremes of opinions held concerning the denomination, and the willingness to express them without restraint (when writing under a pen name). Many COG leaders are spiritual giants and members who are the greatest of Christians, but there are those COG folks who are down right mean and self-righteous. Perhaps, as the old generation dies off there will be less of that "COG is right and others are wrong" nature. I call it the L. S. Llewellyn spirit, as his motto was "rule or ruin."

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/13/19 12:48 pm

Post Re: Not being COG ... Aaron Scott
Mat wrote:
Not being COG, I sometimes marvel at the extremes of opinions held concerning the denomination, and the willingness to express them without restraint (when writing under a pen name). Many COG leaders are spiritual giants and members who are the greatest of Christians, but there are those COG folks who are down right mean and self-righteous. Perhaps, as the old generation dies off there will be less of that "COG is right and others are wrong" nature. I call it the L. S. Llewellyn spirit, as his motto was "rule or ruin."

Mat

I didn't know anyone else picked that up about Llewellyn. You have to COGOP to know that, I imagine. I have, for a good while, pegged him as the key player in the game played in 1923.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/13/19 3:25 pm

Post Re: Not being COG ... Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

I didn't know anyone else picked that up about Llewellyn. You have to COGOP to know that, I imagine. I have, for a good while, pegged him as the key player in the game played in 1923.

There has been some interesting research about the relationship/contrast/conflict between AJT and Llewellyn in recent years. It's worth noting, when Llewellyn died it was a COGOP pastor (F. F. Johnson) who preached his funeral as he was no longer COG. We are approaching the 100 anniversary (1923-2023) of the "split," and for better or worst the events shaped generational in both groups. Maybe it would be good to have some high profile event in 2023, something like the Memphis Miracle (some positive press for both groups). There has to be a generational change in which a new generation values reconciliation over denominational hubris. At times I think we need to move closer quicker, but to be honest, the way some COG folks treat other COG folks (like in the women/bishop or new Lee President or elections issues), I get a little nervous. To your observation, I am COGOP, four generations - back to the Holiness Church at Camp Creek.

Mat (or M for Milton, A for Amborse, T for Tomlinson - it was never Mat or Matt for Matthew)

Last edited by Mat on 11/16/19 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
11/13/19 5:19 pm

Post Double Post - Sorry Mat
Double Post Acts Enthusiast
11/16/19 11:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic