Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Serious Question about Sabbatical...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Serious Question about Sabbatical... buttrfli24
Hi guys and gals! I am here because this is the only place I can (Mostly) remain anonymous and ask people who believe like I do the serious questions. I need your help.

I have been going through something for a while. Several years in fact. I have been seeing a Christian counselor as well as seeking Godly counsel from my pastoral family, Christian friends and ministers who know me personally. So I am not entering into this discussion lightly.

I have been thinking it might be good for me and for my church if I took a break. A sabbatical perhaps. I feel a need to create some space for myself to heal and listen to for God without feeling the burden of ministry on my shoulders. I feel there is Biblical precedence for this in OT and NT. I don't want to quit. But I do need a break.

At the moment, I am considering leaving social media for a month, stepping away from my teaching and music positions for a similar time frame, and perhaps even visiting other churches at least one service a week during that time. I think this might give me a clearer perspective on my situation.

I'd also like to meet at least weekly with ministers I trust to talk about some of my questions. Again, I think this would greatly help me get much needed clarity on what I believe the Bible says and what I need to do going forward.

Have you ever heard of this? Do you think it would be well-received or am I about to lose my positions in my church and create problems? I do not, from the depths of my heart, want either of those things. What are your thoughts and opinions? Heart, head and scriptural ideas appreciated.
10/16/19 10:51 am

Post Dave Dorsey
It's a very common thing to do. Whether it will be well-received or will cause problems depends on the culture of the church you're in, and their understanding of/commitment to personal health and rest.

In my humble opinion, if you do lose your position or create problems in your church as a result of taking a needful step to restore yourself and strengthen the foundation of your walk with God -- then so be it. It's a small price to pay in exchange for taking a brief pause to pursue the things that matter most, and if the folks you're with can't accept that then the same result will probably ultimately be caused by something else.

It sounds like you're being very considerate of the needs of others, which is admirable and good. Perhaps you could start by meeting with leadership and letting them know where you are and what you believe you need to do. Hopefully, you will find lots of encouragement and support and love. If not, then at least you will know, and you can pray and think accordingly.

Best wishes... I hope everything works out and you do choose to take a rewarding and restful sabbatical.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/19 11:25 am

Post Cojak
I am a firm believer in a sabbatical. If there is anyone close to you you feel you need to explain, then do it. I would explain at least to the staff you are associated with that you NEED a break, not forever, just time to pray, think and heal.
Love ya, and wish you the best!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/16/19 10:14 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
A measure was passed in the last General Assembly that allows pastors to take a sabbatical every five years. It needs to be coordinated with the state office so that someone else can handle all ministry duties for 30 days. I'm nor sure what your ministry positions are, but if you need to do this to recover, it sounds like a good plan. I hope you can find the support needed to help yourself recover.

(((Butterfli))) - Good to hear from you!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/16/19 10:45 pm

Post Da Sheik
Are you on paid staff ? If so, is this your sole source of income ? Acts Enthusiast
10/17/19 10:21 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I don't know. It appears you are a staff member and not the sr. pastor.

For me, when the stress became to much, I resigned.

Turns out, the stress was from something in the church that I couldn't resolve - leading to burnout. Resigning was the correct move both times it happened. I had taken my role as far as I could - and could do no more. The stress was gone two weeks after I left. If I had thought I had to go back later after the sabbatical, I am not sure the stress would have been relieved.
10/17/19 10:30 am

Post Interestingly enough brotherjames
I had this conversation with another pastor 2 days ago at a conference i just returned from. He said in 2000 he took a 6 month sabbatical after 25 years of ministry. He had been in that church for 15 of those years. He said he lost over half of his church and it took him 7 years t get back to were he was numerically before he left. More than that, his church had been on a great trajectory upward in the Spirit and numbers when he took the sabbatical. He said while the church is great today the momentum he lost, the income he lost and the Spirit he lost was NOT worth the 6 months of rest he got on the sabbatical.

He said would be better to just take a few extra weeks of vacation each year.
Acts-celerater
10/17/19 12:33 pm

Post Link
Is there anyone else in your church who can teach God's word and minister to the congregation?
10/17/19 2:23 pm

Post buttrfli24
Dave Dorsey wrote:
It's a very common thing to do. Whether it will be well-received or will cause problems depends on the culture of the church you're in, and their understanding of/commitment to personal health and rest.

In my humble opinion, if you do lose your position or create problems in your church as a result of taking a needful step to restore yourself and strengthen the foundation of your walk with God -- then so be it. It's a small price to pay in exchange for taking a brief pause to pursue the things that matter most, and if the folks you're with can't accept that then the same result will probably ultimately be caused by something else.

It sounds like you're being very considerate of the needs of others, which is admirable and good. Perhaps you could start by meeting with leadership and letting them know where you are and what you believe you need to do. Hopefully, you will find lots of encouragement and support and love. If not, then at least you will know, and you can pray and think accordingly.

Best wishes... I hope everything works out and you do choose to take a rewarding and restful sabbatical.

Thank you for your advice and thoughts on this. I appreciate it.
10/17/19 2:38 pm

Post buttrfli24
Cojak wrote:
I am a firm believer in a sabbatical. If there is anyone close to you you feel you need to explain, then do it. I would explain at least to the staff you are associated with that you NEED a break, not forever, just time to pray, think and heal.
Love ya, and wish you the best!

Thank you, brother! Love you and your wife so much. Hope you are well.
10/17/19 2:39 pm

Post buttrfli24
Carolyn Smith wrote:
A measure was passed in the last General Assembly that allows pastors to take a sabbatical every five years. It needs to be coordinated with the state office so that someone else can handle all ministry duties for 30 days. I'm nor sure what your ministry positions are, but if you need to do this to recover, it sounds like a good plan. I hope you can find the support needed to help yourself recover.

(((Butterfli))) - Good to hear from you!

Thank you for this info, Carolyn! I am sure many others can use this reminder as well. Smile
10/17/19 2:40 pm

Post buttrfli24
Da Sheik wrote:
Are you on paid staff ? If so, is this your sole source of income ?

No, I am a volunteer.
10/17/19 2:40 pm

Post buttrfli24
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
I don't know. It appears you are a staff member and not the sr. pastor.

For me, when the stress became to much, I resigned.

Turns out, the stress was from something in the church that I couldn't resolve - leading to burnout. Resigning was the correct move both times it happened. I had taken my role as far as I could - and could do no more. The stress was gone two weeks after I left. If I had thought I had to go back later after the sabbatical, I am not sure the stress would have been relieved.

Indeed I am not the pastor. I love mine but I do not want his job, lol. My positions are not exactly stressing me. It is more that I feel ineffective right now because some outside stressors and situations are draining me spiritually. I honestly have no desire to quit. But I think a time to rest, reflect and catch my breath would help.
10/17/19 2:43 pm

Post buttrfli24
Link wrote:
Is there anyone else in your church who can teach God's word and minister to the congregation?

Of course.
10/17/19 2:50 pm

Post Da Sheik
My advice: take one weekend off. Pray and seek God. See how you feel afterwards. Sometimes a week makes all the difference. Acts Enthusiast
10/18/19 2:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic