Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

If Beto gets his way....taxing churches ....is that all bad?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post If Beto gets his way....taxing churches ....is that all bad? caseyleejones
Please don't hate. But....churches enjoying being tax free is a good thing for christians because more money can be used for the gospel. Those churches with nicer buildings would be hit.

But, for the longest time, the govt truly did stifle and limited speech in churches in exchange of being tax exempt. Trump has relaxed those expectations but they will likely will be reinstated post-Trump.

Does the bad outweigh the good here?...ie...would it be better for churches to not be ham-strung by the govt?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/12/19 12:47 pm

Post Re: If Beto gets his way....taxing churches ....is that all bad? diakoneo
caseyleejones wrote:
Please don't hate. But....churches enjoying being tax free is a good thing for christians because more money can be used for the gospel. Those churches with nicer buildings would be hit.

But, for the longest time, the govt truly did stifle and limited speech in churches in exchange of being tax exempt. Trump has relaxed those expectations but they will likely will be reinstated post-Trump.

Does the bad outweigh the good here?...ie...would it be better for churches to not be ham-strung by the govt?

If you can tax it you can control it. What is to stop them from having 99% tax rate on churches? This a slippery slope.

I know...that would NEVER happen... neither would gay marriage.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/12/19 3:11 pm

Post UncleJD
amen to ^ Taxation is the government's tool for control. That is what I was taught in Public School high school government. Separation of Church and State is already severely under threat, taxing churches would complete the merger. Besides all of that, the REASON he's giving should be the most concerning part of all of this. He wants to tax churches as a means to CONTROL the message. Do you think it would stop with gay marriage? It would eventually be a prescriptive and state-approved list of sermons.

Its funny that in just one election cycle we've gone from the 2 main things that most conservatives were scoffed at for saying "they want to take our guns, and they want to tell us what to preach", to EXACTLY that, bold-faced and in the open!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/12/19 4:42 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
IMO ...any tax is a bad tax!
Especially for churches!

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/12/19 6:20 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I would be really concerned about this happening. I think, for the most part, huge churches and ministries would be fine. Kenneth Copeland as a $6m "parsonage", but he's worth almost $1b and surely would not be put out by having to pay property taxes.

Huge megachurches that have grown and become popular through preaching a softened, attractional gospel would probably not suffer either. I realize this does not describe all large churches, but it does describe many. Either way, they would not suffer much.

But a Church of God that faithfully preaches the true gospel to a group of 100 would be devastated.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/19 6:51 pm

Post In NC brotherjames
we already have taxation. Property not actually used in the propagation of the Gospel is taxed. For example, if your church sits on 15 acres of land but your church footprint of buildings and parking lots only is 5 acres you would be taxed on the remaining 10 acres unless you can prove it is being "used in the ministry" or you get creative with buffer zones, prayer trails etc. In addition, while churches are tax exempt from sales tax you dont get the exemption each time you buy something. No, you have to keep all your receipts and file for a refund twice a year of all your paid taxes. Good luck keeping all those receipts and the state knows it too. There are so many churches in NC that the state has gone active over time going after church land to tax. And this from a Republican legislature. Acts-celerater
10/12/19 9:52 pm

Post Cojak
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
IMO ...any tax is a bad tax!
Especially for churches!

Agreed.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/12/19 10:00 pm

Post Re: In NC Cojak
brotherjames wrote:
we already have taxation. Property not actually used in the propagation of the Gospel is taxed. For example, if your church sits on 15 acres of land but your church footprint of buildings and parking lots only is 5 acres you would be taxed on the remaining 10 acres unless you can prove it is being "used in the ministry" or you get creative with buffer zones, prayer trails etc. In addition, while churches are tax exempt from sales tax you dont get the exemption each time you buy something. No, you have to keep all your receipts and file for a refund twice a year of all your paid taxes. Good luck keeping all those receipts and the state knows it too. There are so many churches in NC that the state has gone active over time going after church land to tax. And this from a Republican legislature.

I don't know how, but something similar is in Florida.

It is a very slippery slope. many areas I agree with as DD stated. But once started OPENLY, the cat would never be put back in the bag. So I think it is not a good idea at all. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/12/19 10:03 pm

Post Link
We can just give each other personal gifts.
10/15/19 6:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic