Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Limitations On Free Speech

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Limitations On Free Speech Change Agent
Pastors, what are your limitations on free speech in your church? I'm sure lying and cussing would be at the top of the list. What are some limitations beside those just mentioned and what is the reasoning for the limitation. Acts Enthusiast
10/2/19 6:41 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry for being that guy, but I can't help it on this issue.

Whatever winds up being talked about in this thread will not be limitations on free speech. We enjoy the constitutional right to speak freely without any restriction or retaliation from the government. Pastors enjoy the constitutional right to free association, and can kick people out for saying the word "purple", if they want, without it being any kind of restriction on anyone else's free speech.

US citizens have the right to speak freely without any kind of governmental restriction. However, we do not have the right to say whatever we want, wherever we want, without consequence from other parties. If someone wants to kick you out of his house because you don't pronounce words like he wants you to, he's well within his rights to do so, and is not violating yours.

All right, that's all, carry on.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/2/19 6:46 pm

Post Free Speech Change Agent
Thanks for the response Dave.
In the COG is it the Pastors house? Does the COG organization give guidelines to pastors before kicking members out for speech that is prohibited? Is there a list of prohibited speech that the organization gives pastors to judge the speech or does that pastor make his determination in that particular COG?
Acts Enthusiast
10/2/19 7:07 pm

Post Cojak
OK, I am smiling. Because I hear terms and words in church today that would have embarrassed Sister Jones or Brother Tom to their death.
That reminds me of my pastor's wife in Florida who said she about fell out of the pew when a member that raised and sold dogs for a living made the following 'spoken prayer request': "Please pray for our Beagle Betch, she is very sick." (Betch spelled with an i!)
Now I would have been set back by that. It is not a cuss word.

I used the i word, but it was 'complained' about. We do not have freedom to use any word we please on Actcelerate and I am NOT fussing about that.

Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/2/19 9:42 pm

Post Freedom of Speech Change Agent
When I made this post I was not indicating that we be free to say anything we want in church. I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the things that pastors have admonished people for speaking. Things such as disagreeing over intrepertation of scripture, speaking unkind things about other members, belonging to wrong political party, thinking more highly of themselves than they should, etc.

Also does the COG have a process of getting rid of members for violating certain speech?

Apparently this is not a very popular topic for discussion by pastors.
Acts Enthusiast
10/3/19 3:03 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic