Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Any update on Benny Hinn? Did he give it all back?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Any update on Benny Hinn? Did he give it all back? caseyleejones
......there was a great amount of fawning over him rejecting the prosperity gospel......we've failed to hear the rest of the story...

I'm excited.......
Acts-perienced Poster
9/22/19 9:45 am

Post Dave Dorsey
As Costi Hinn said in the days following his uncle's statement, time and repentance go hand in hand. If Benny Hinn has truly repented, in the months and years ahead he will bear fruit in keeping with that repentance.

I'm not sure if excited is the right word for me, but I am hopeful, prayerful, and sincerely desiring that he come to know and confess the true gospel.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/22/19 10:06 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I'd also note that we have seen prosperity teachers like Mike Murdock and others publicly responding to Hinn. I am sure that the private pressure is unimaginable. If his repentance is indeed sincere, he is a threat to all of his old friends.

You can rest assured, if Hinn's repentance was sincere, that Satan is working overtime to snatch up the seed of the word. Benny Hinn needs the prayers of God's people. He has mine.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/22/19 10:11 am

Post FLRon
Umm....nope. Looks like the leopard hasn’t changed his spots after all.

https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/09/14/weeks-after-repenting-benny-hinn-just-preached-prosperity-seed-faith-giving-again-heres-the-video/
9/22/19 6:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
FLRon wrote:
Umm....nope. Looks like the leopard hasn’t changed his spots after all.

https://pulpitandpen.org/2019/09/14/weeks-after-repenting-benny-hinn-just-preached-prosperity-seed-faith-giving-again-heres-the-video/

That's extremely disappointing.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/22/19 6:52 pm

Post Re: Any update on Benny Hinn? Did he give it all back? UncleJD
caseyleejones wrote:
......there was a great amount of fawning over him rejecting the prosperity gospel......we've failed to hear the rest of the story...

I'm excited.......

Fawning? Hoping someone has repented and turned away from error is "fawinng over". Am I "fawning" over you hoping you aren't falling into error?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/22/19 9:49 pm

Post Cojak
Honestly this life of high profile ministers can be so confusing. Can you realize the finances these men are used to? By changing directions I am sure there is a drastic cut in finances.

That said, have YOU ever had a habit, standard you tried to change? As a smoker, I threw away many packs of cigarettes saying this it IT! only to a few days later to buy another pack. What about over eating or deciding to drop sweets? I read of a man, a reporter, who declared he would never eat ice cream again. Then crying as he realized he had stopped on the way home and bought a large Ice cream cone. He said he ate it all and cried the whole time that he could not break the habit.
I imagine Rev. Hinn wants to do right but as Paul said, basically I do not always do it.
I do hope he can stick to his guns, but it will be tough. Murdock could not live his life style if he gave up that doctrine.
JMHO Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/22/19 11:40 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak wrote:
Honestly this life of high profile ministers can be so confusing. Can you realize the finances these men are used to? By changing directions I am sure there is a drastic cut in finances.

For sure, but this is something that becomes possible through the power of the gospel.

Imagine you had spent your life working people up to give you an offering to demonstrate their faith for healing. Imagine that the back rows of your crusade meetings were filled with cancer-ridden children, kids affected with cerebral palsy, kids in wheelchairs, or kids with other forms of physical or mental disabilities. Imagine they had been brought there by their parents -- already destitute from medical and care expenses, but desperate, desperate beyond words for anything that might save their child.

Imagine you looked at those parents and said something like, "God will heal you if you have enough faith. Sowing seeds is how we demonstrate our faith." Imagine you did this again and again, for decades, until you were fabulously wealthy and had a lifestyle that most can only dream of.

Now... imagine you came to know Christ as you do now. Imagine you came to know the conviction and reproof of the Holy Spirit as you do now.

How would you react? How would you view your wealth, and your lifestyle? Would you want to hold onto any of it? Or would you want to curse it, give it away, and try to rid yourself of any memory of who you used to be and what you used to do?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/19 6:37 am

Post Just curious brotherjames
How big is your house? How old is your car? What percentage of your income do you give to the work of the Lord?
Just wondering.

I am not defending anyone. I have always been disgusted by the manipulation and so forth. I was working for a major apparel company making 6 figures in the 80's (wish I was now). I drove a new lincoln town car but when God called me I sold the car (was paid for) so as not to be a stumbling block to ignorant people. I felt I needed to put a sign in front of the big house I lived in that said "you didn't pay for this". People like some of you with your judgemental attitudes are the reason. But...

And you you do realize that Hinn, Osteen, warren and many others made/make millions from the sales of their books and most of them dont take salaries from their ministries. Not my business really. Between them and God. You dont have to give to them, I dont. But I question your holier than thou attitudes. Just sayin...
Acts-celerater
9/23/19 2:45 pm

Post Re: Just curious Cojak
brotherjames wrote:
How big is your house? How old is your car? What percentage of your income do you give to the work of the Lord?
Just wondering.

I am not defending anyone. I have always been disgusted by the manipulation and so forth. I was working for a major apparel company making 6 figures in the 80's (wish I was now). I drove a new lincoln town car but when God called me I sold the car (was paid for) so as not to be a stumbling block to ignorant people. I felt I needed to put a sign in front of the big house I lived in that said "you didn't pay for this". People like some of you with your judgemental attitudes are the reason. But...

And you you do realize that Hinn, Osteen, warren and many others made/make millions from the sales of their books and most of them dont take salaries from their ministries. Not my business really. Between them and God. You dont have to give to them, I dont. But I question your holier than thou attitudes. Just sayin...
I love you brother,
But we all know those books sales were to his followers. That's okay, but it is not always just because he/she is a writer.
You asked the question I have lived in VERY nice homes, still own several, God has blessed me. I cannot set a percentage I give to God's work but it is never less than 25%. I still say a man called of God should not be a multimillionaire on the backs of people who rent and barely get by.
You mentioned the Lincoln, yes my dad felt bad about driving a buick traded down to a Rambler because his members were Mill workers and many did not even have a car. I was raised by a man who gave 70% of his salary back to the church and missions. At his death he had $750 total and a car I had given him, NEVER did I hear him complain nor brag about his giving to God.
Sorry to go crazy here. But these WEALTHY TV ministers are rich on the back of many ignorant honest working people.
Sorry to ramble. God had been so good to me. I give as I am impressed by his spirit. I have given a house or two away. And he still blesses me. Embarassed
9/23/19 9:34 pm

Post Am I missing something? Aaron Scott
There is NOTHING wrong with giving with an expectation of return. You certainly don't go to your job without an expectation of a return.

You don't go to all the trouble of preparing a sermon without the expectation of a return. It might be souls won to Jesus. It might be you feeling that you have obeyed the Lord. It might simply be that you want your church to think you're on the job. But some expectation is there.

Now, YES, it is wrong to FALSELY say something like, "The Lord has shown me that there are 72 people who He is dealing with right now to give $10,000 to this ministry."

If God truly said that to you, fine. If not, you are a liar.

To ABUSE or MISUSE the GREAT TRUTH that God blesses the giver, to twist it so that by "giving" you mean giving to YOU...or giving in a manner that is manipulated, etc., is DEAD WRONG.

But to it is good practice and good doctrine to teach that you should give NOT just because it's a joy to be part of what God is doing, but because JESUS HIMSELF said this in:

(Luke 6:38 KJV) Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

If you twist this to mean that you'll get a Rolls Royce, that's a problem. But there IS going to be some reward in this--and it is implied that it will be much larger than what you initially gave.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. We DARE NOT get rid of good doctrine and truth just because it is abused! We keep it, preach it correctly, and keep doing it until....

I don't know enough about Hinn to know all that he meant by "prosperity gospel." I can see that Murdock certainly seems to tread close to the line...but then again, I have to admit that much of what he says seems to be the truth.

Hinn is not Zacchaeus. I am not expecting him to give back any great amount or ANY. If he KNOWS he got it by ill intentions, yes, give it back (which is not literally possible, but find a way to do something).

BUT... BUT if his thinking has simply evolved on this matter, then he was not acting with bad intentions. He may have been doing what he truly felt was the right thing. If so, then that, as well as the impossible logistics of returning all that money, lets him draw a line in the sand and, going forward, act according to his new understanding of the Word of God.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/24/19 12:21 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Aaron, with respect, you are not reading that passage correctly.

The immediate context of Luke 6:38 makes it clear that you are misusing this passage. Luke 6:38 is the second half of a sentence.

Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.

You cannot read the word "give" in your Bible and immediately make it mean financial giving. Jesus is absolutely not referring to money or things here. The context is evident in the first half of his sentence -- he is talking about giving mercy and forgiveness.

"But, he could also be talking about money!" No. Let's back up a few verses to Luke 6:27-36:

Quote:
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

In the few verses before this passage, Jesus is talking about giving (lending without expectation of return). Jesus says if you do this, your reward will be great. Why, because you will get money back? No - because you will be demonstrating you are a child of God, who also gives without expectation of return. Be merciful, as this God is merciful -- which then leads us into Luke 6:37-38, stating that if you give mercy, it will be given bountifully back to you. The promise of a return for giving mercy is specifically contrasted to his prior statement that we are to give materially without expectation of a return.

You said, "There is NOTHING wrong with giving with an expectation of return," but the Lord Jesus says to give expecting nothing in return. With love and respect, you are not reading your Bible correctly on this point.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/24/19 3:11 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Not long after I had been married, I was working in photography with a bunch of guys from Norvel Hayes’ school in Cleveland and they were wild about everybody getting rich in Jesus name. They prayed in business meetings claiming millions in our checking accounts. I asked my father in-law about his opinion and he looked at me over his glasses with a stern look and said “silver and gold have we none.” That’s all he said. Smile Through the years, I have always remembered that. Acts-pert Poster
9/24/19 5:12 am

Post Link
Back in the 1990's, I saw Benny Hinn on TBN, probably the Praise the Lord show, saying that he'd been to the Philippines and he couldn't take up the offering the same way he did in the US after he saw their poverty. He seemed to realize there was something wrong with the way he'd been doing things, and was supposed to change.

Maybe he did. But it could be that the concept of the proper balance on the subject for Benny Hinn is not the same as what many of our posters think it should be. Did Benny Hinn denounce giving to sow seed in that video clip that went viral? He was against asking for $1,000.
9/24/19 9:19 am

Post Dave.... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron, with respect, you are not reading that passage correctly.

The immediate context of Luke 6:38 makes it clear that you are misusing this passage. Luke 6:38 is the second half of a sentence.

Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.

You cannot read the word "give" in your Bible and immediately make it mean financial giving. Jesus is absolutely not referring to money or things here. The context is evident in the first half of his sentence -- he is talking about giving mercy and forgiveness.

"But, he could also be talking about money!" No. Let's back up a few verses to Luke 6:27-36:

Quote:
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

In the few verses before this passage, Jesus is talking about giving (lending without expectation of return). Jesus says if you do this, your reward will be great. Why, because you will get money back? No - because you will be demonstrating you are a child of God, who also gives without expectation of return. Be merciful, as this God is merciful -- which then leads us into Luke 6:37-38, stating that if you give mercy, it will be given bountifully back to you. The promise of a return for giving mercy is specifically contrasted to his prior statement that we are to give materially without expectation of a return.

You said, "There is NOTHING wrong with giving with an expectation of return," but the Lord Jesus says to give expecting nothing in return. With love and respect, you are not reading your Bible correctly on this point.

Dave, indeed, when you give...TO AN ENEMY...don’t expect anything in return. In that particular case.

Every where else, we give to get. You don’t just drop off a $100 at the supermarket without expecting groceries in return.

No, that verse is not just about financial giving, but it certainly includes it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/24/19 11:25 am

Post Cojak
I am not sure the intent of the post here. But I am learning from different perspectives as I read your comments. Bro James is right in several ways, we are judgemental pretty quick.
But to me it is common sense, He has supplied ALL my needs and to many it would be in excess. I have wondered about these 'crusades' in poor countries (mentioned by Link).
Then there is the 'Rich young Ruler'. OUCH
Eddie mentioned a man I never knew but respected very highly. His common sense words during the only time I ever heard him in the 60's, set him above his peers in his expressions. So I can just imagine that response, "Silver and Gold have we none."
All I can say is, you guys have blessed me as I read this. I have no stones to throw at Bro. Hinn. I do not know him, have never heard nor seen him. But I do not agree with the 'prosperity Gospel' as I have heard and seen it.

A side note. I did quit attending a church in Sanford Florida because I was not comfortable with the 'prosperity gospel' stance now taken. It amazes me when people remain in poverty, doing everything the minister says, and still blame themselves. That is weird my friend, weird. Embarassed
9/24/19 9:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic