Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lying on EULAs, Terms and Conditions, etc.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lying on EULAs, Terms and Conditions, etc. Link
A while back I read about a university that offered students some sort of freebie if they signed up to a certain website. The terms and conditions for the site included a provision that the owners of the site had the right to name the student's first-born child. The research focused on how many students signed the unreasonably T&C, presumably without reading it.

How many of you read terms and conditions before you click to agree, or click to say you read and agree? I try to read terms and conditions, and I get kind of angry when they are long. I'm sure I've clicked something without reading before. Sometimes, I've thought I've read it, or I just hope they haven't updated anything. I have saved a to workaround having to agree that I read a EULA again for a bank website. It takes me a long time to get anything done online. There was one bank that had an 18 or so page long T&C. I signed up for their product, then they gave me a 50 page one. I declined using the online portion of their service, which is a hassle for me. I also do not pay one of my utility bills online for the same reason. I did not use one rental company to try to rent a house because I would have to agree never to market anything to any of their customers. I might want to market in the area. How could I agree to that, if I cared anything about the agreements I made.

What I see is that we are developing an unethical business culture. People don't care what they sign anymore. Maybe they don't feel like clicking has the same authority as signing their name or agreeing to it. The contracts are all about companies protecting themselves legally, and not about the idea that the customer might read them. We let the lawyers go wild. There is no pushback. Contracts get longer, and people care less and less about their word-- not enough to even read what they are signing.

I use read out loud on some contracts. I don't feel right saying I read a contract if I do that. I got to thinking about this. A lot of these companies like Wells Fargo and Facebook are discriminating against the blind by requiring that they read before serving. Maybe reading braile is reading, but some of the visually impaired get blind later in life and don't go to a special school and use read-out-loud. Maybe they are okay with calling this 'reading.'

What can I do, what can we do, to fight back? It would be nice if there was some legislation that anything after page 2 in a regular EULA and anything after page 5 in certain other EULAs (banking, etc.) didn't count, or if there was a per-page tax on the company for each individual who signed a Eula that goes over a few pages of EULA or T&C if it were put in 12 point Times New Roman Font with 1 inch margins on letter paper. The consumer who reports this gets half the money. That might solve it. A few law suits from the blind might prevent companies from requiring that individuals use their services.

At the very least folks, make sure there is no 'sell your soul to the Devil' clause in the EULAs. You could agree to some LGBT stuff. I've declined using a rental website over agreeing not to discriminate toward anyone in their community on religion. I think all single Christians should discriminate when it comes to marriage and things like that.
9/6/19 9:12 am

Post Cojak
I gotta say you make a point close to the heart of most people today. I even laugh at the 'side effects' list with medicines. GO AHEAD read them and take the meds if you have the gall.
But to the T & C's If I am interested in using the site, I know if I do not click the 'have read' or 'Agree' I ain't using the web site or bank.

I am laughing at an inside joke I had with my doctor yesterday of his 'selective' reading of the 'side effects' of a drug I was asking about. A 'male' drug. He was saying it can KILL an old man, but if I really wanted it he would prescribe it but first must read the side effects: Heart Attack, blindness, stroke, etc. If I would sign the acknowledgements, he would prescribe. However as a warning he had two patients in the last 3 years that lost their sight after going against his opinion.
I declined, he scared me. LOL

Answer to your question what can we do. In my opinion, NOT MUCH! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/19 10:58 am

Post Link
We could go to websites with long T&Cs, email them and tell them we went with another site because their T&C was so long. If enough people did it they might change them. It would require enogh people doing that.

Some blind people could sue Facebook or Wells Fargo over declining them service because they gave to agree they read (as opposed to listened to) the T&C.
9/6/19 1:04 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic