Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Church of God, The Old Days Facebook Group
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Church of God, The Old Days Facebook Group Carolyn Smith
Thought I would take this opportunity to tell those of you who are not a part of it, that there is a Facebook group called Church of God, the Old Days. Wallace Swilley's brother-in-law, Don Paulk has joined and has shared a lot of pictures from "the old days" re: their family. If you were active in the COG when they were still a part of it or were friends with the family, you would probably enjoy seeing those pics.

Cojak, I thought of you particularly. I know you aren't on Facebook a lot, but you would probably enjoy the pics and dialogue.

It's not my favorite group, but there are a lot of pics and posts from people from all over the US that have a COG heritage.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/25/19 6:52 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Carolyn, are their posts bashing the present day COG? I had to leave the “You’re COG if...” group. Thanks! Acts-pert Poster
8/26/19 7:51 am

Post Re: Church of God, The Old Days Facebook Group UncleJD
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Thought I would take this opportunity to tell those of you who are not a part of it, that there is a Facebook group called Church of God, the Old Days. Wallace Swilley's brother-in-law, Don Paulk has joined and has shared a lot of pictures from "the old days" re: their family. If you were active in the COG when they were still a part of it or were friends with the family, you would probably enjoy seeing those pics.

Cojak, I thought of you particularly. I know you aren't on Facebook a lot, but you would probably enjoy the pics and dialogue.

It's not my favorite group, but there are a lot of pics and posts from people from all over the US that have a COG heritage.

Don Paulk as in one of Earl Paulk's sons or nephews? Just curious as I know they were originally COG.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/26/19 10:14 am

Post Re: Church of God, The Old Days Facebook Group Eddie Robbins
UncleJD wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Don Paulk as in one of Earl Paulk's sons or nephews? Just curious as I know they were originally COG.

Don and Earl, Jr are Earl, Sr’s sons.
Acts-pert Poster
8/26/19 1:25 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Carolyn, are their posts bashing the present day COG? I had to leave the “You’re COG if...” group. Thanks!

I left the Church of God - Cleveland TN group.... because... I just can't with some of the stuff on there.
8/26/19 1:32 pm

Post revuriah
Brandon Bowers wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Carolyn, are their posts bashing the present day COG? I had to leave the “You’re COG if...” group. Thanks!

I left the Church of God - Cleveland TN group.... because... I just can't with some of the stuff on there.

I’m a moderator of that group and I can’t stand it.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/26/19 3:19 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Brandon Bowers wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I did too! It’s a gripe every single day.
Acts-pert Poster
8/26/19 3:29 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie, Brandon I must not be seeing the same 'stuff'. What I have seen (which is very little) has been only old pictures of past Camp Meetings at the old NC Church of God Camp ground. Some older folk who wanted to keep in touch with others who enjoyed the old camp ground. Many NC COG PK's seemed to post there.
We must be on a different page. I still hven't gone there after this post, I have been tied up with all these 'senior' busy volunteer days.

But in reference to Brother Earl Paulk Sr., HE was a wonderful man of God, I cannot imagine the heart hurt he experienced after Earl Jr.'s crazy life following his fall from grace. I had a close friend whose son, a COG preacher also 'messed up'. His comment was, "Now I know how Earl felt!" It was a hurt like he had never experienced before. It also shortened his life. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/26/19 8:49 pm

Post Cojak
I looked back on this, I think you guys are talking about a different site than Carolyn is. Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142571483089758/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/26/19 8:54 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak, the first group you mentioned is the Memories of Charlotte NC Campground, which is mostly posts about memories of the old campground/tabernacle, youth camp, Bible School, and ECBC. (I am a member there, but there aren't too many posts these days.)

I am still a member of the Church of God - Cleveland TN group but I don't interact often because of the same issues y'all have had. I've learned not to get sucked in if I can't say something to help. Or sometimes it just annoys me so much I have to speak up. LOL

The Church of God, the Old Days group has some days where someone will lament about how the COG has changed/gone downhill/not the same, etc., but most of the posts lately have been pics. If you can overlook the griping, it's not as often or as bad (usually) as the other group. This group's focus is on posting all things COG before 2000. I kinda don't get posting old obits of pastors, but whatever floats your boat!

I usually just try to ignore the griping. I haven't interacted much on this page, either, just kind of glance to see if there's something that interests me. I did post a pic from my home church from the 60s recently. I have sent a couple of pics to folks who aren't in the group who have pics of family members or their churches posted that I knew they wouldn't see.

Anyhow, just a thought...
8/26/19 9:22 pm

Post Re: Church of God, The Old Days Facebook Group Carolyn Smith
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Don and Earl, Jr are Earl, Sr’s sons.

I think Don, Jr. said he left the COG around 1960. Someone apparently scolded him about being on the page and not being COG anymore and he offered to withdraw from the group. Thankfully, a lot of people came on and told him not to worry about it and not to leave. I was really glad to see that! (There's at least one in every crowd!)
8/26/19 9:25 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
The Paulk posts have been very good.
If you have been generations in the COG - it is great stuff.
8/27/19 6:40 am

Post UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

I'm enjoying what I see so far, but when I look at Paulk's FB page its FULL of far-left stuff. Yuk. But I do appreciate the old memories though.
8/27/19 9:35 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
UncleJD wrote:

I'm enjoying what I see so far, but when I look at Paulk's FB page its FULL of far-left stuff. Yuk. But I do appreciate the old memories though.

Yeah - the pictures are what I am talking about.

Paulk's have had to reinterpret stuff in light of how they later generations lived their lives.
8/27/19 10:03 am

Post Eddie, me, too. Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:

There was little more than spoiled bitterness on that page. People barking about things that took place over half a century before, etc. Almost certainly theses are failed ministers who didn’t make the cut in some way and blame the COG.
8/28/19 6:33 am

Post UncleJD
UncleJD wrote:

Yeah - the pictures are what I am talking about.

Paulk's have had to reinterpret stuff in light of how they later generations lived their lives.

I read his post about leaving the group and I appreciate his participation since the theme of the page is historical and not theological. Apparently he is actually involved in Don Earl's Universalist Church, which is very sad, but aside from a couple ignorant "we're all going to the same Heaven" posts, I don't have a problem with his input. The picture of his father's revival baptismal service is really beautiful.
8/28/19 1:37 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Don is my friend. I have known him all my life. Yes, he is different than most of us. So what? He’s not preaching his theology on the COG group. In fact, he’s being more civil than some of those old time country preachers who are trying to stir up trouble. If that keeps up, I’m out of there. I just want to look at pictures and talk about the good old times we used to have. Acts-pert Poster
8/28/19 3:08 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Don is my friend. I have known him all my life. Yes, he is different than most of us. So what? He’s not preaching his theology on the COG group. In fact, he’s being more civil than some of those old time country preachers who are trying to stir up trouble. If that keeps up, I’m out of there. I just want to look at pictures and talk about the good old times we used to have.

I agree Eddie. The pictures are great. I wish it would stay at that...maybe a few old anecdotes.

btw - did you take a shot at an old poster with the "old time country preachers" comment? Twisted Evil

Perhaps, that is where our old friend ended up.
8/29/19 6:54 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Don is my friend. I have known him all my life. Yes, he is different than most of us. So what? He’s not preaching his theology on the COG group. In fact, he’s being more civil than some of those old time country preachers who are trying to stir up trouble. If that keeps up, I’m out of there. I just want to look at pictures and talk about the good old times we used to have.

I agree Eddie. The pictures are great. I wish it would stay at that...maybe a few old anecdotes.

btw - did you take a shot at an old poster with the "old time country preachers" comment? Twisted Evil

It’s just that “old time country” mentality rearing it’s ugly head.
Acts-pert Poster
8/29/19 12:27 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Would Eddie do that? Very Happy Shocked Rolling Eyes
8/29/19 9:06 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic