Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How much leeway are COG pastors given?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How much leeway are COG pastors given? FLRon
If a COG pastor says he doesn’t care what ‘they’ (State, international offices)say, he’s going to run the church his way, is this normal today?
If a COG pastor refuses to preach against certain things such as alcohol consumption because he doesn’t agree with the COG position, is this normal today?
I guess what I’m asking is how much leeway does the COG give its pastors today to pick and choose how closely they follow its tenets?
8/20/19 4:48 pm

Post As long as the money flows famousflavius
As long as they keep current on reports and the money keeps flowing from the TOT I venture to say nothing will ever be done about it. Most pastors only last two or three years in the same spot so he will be gone soon anyway. If you give somebody like that a long enough rope the obvious is inevitable. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/20/19 5:58 pm

Post Cojak
Just a thought from the hip. There is no requirement to preach 'against' anything. But there is a requirement to preach Jesus Christ and Him Crucified.

I would hate to think we had to have an investigate group going around to see what subjects are covered in sermons.

Back when I thought I was a preacher, I sure would have looked like some sorry dude to some 'real' preachers. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/20/19 9:53 pm

Post Overseer and My Bathroom FG Minister
When I was still in the COG, the church I pastored had wanted to add a bathroom addition to the parsonage for many years. They had the money in the bank so when I arrived, within three months, we built an $11,000 bathroom addition to the parsonage. (This was 23 years ago). The District Overseer heard about it and wanted to know if I had received the State Overseer's permission. I said I didn't know he wanted to know about the bathroom or that his approval was necessary. Evidently I was wrong. The congregational vote was 100% and no money was borrowed.

The State Overseer was upset about this and demanded I write a letter to him reassuring him that I was "on his team." I did. I guess even overseers are concerned as to whether I had a pot to ___ in or not. In my opinion, he needed to join a bowling team since he had so much time on his hands. How much leeway does a pastor get? Not much in my case. Glad I'm gone.
Acts-celerater
8/21/19 11:15 am

Post UncleJD
Cojak wrote:
Just a thought from the hip. There is no requirement to preach 'against' anything. But there is a requirement to preach Jesus Christ and Him Crucified.

I would hate to think we had to have an investigate group going around to see what subjects are covered in sermons.

Back when I thought I was a preacher, I sure would have looked like some sorry dude to some 'real' preachers. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

BOOM!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/21/19 11:36 am

Post Da Sheik
There is a fair amount of leeway as long as someone is not publicly attacking the tenets of the DoF. I think that’s the way it should be. I think there are several items in the DoF that should be reworded. I don’t think that should disqualify me from holding credentials. That being said, I’m speaking of what I deem to be non-essential differences (topics like foot washing). If someone is preaching a different Jesus or another gospel they should be disciplined.

And as for FG Minister’s situation; all I can say is that’s absurd. Thankfully, I’ve never locked horns with an overseer like that but I can tell you that you were much more gracious than I would have been in that instance. The COG is only one generation or less away from decentralization. Today’s young ministers will never acquiesce to the abuses that us older guys endured in order to be a “team player”.
Acts Enthusiast
8/21/19 4:50 pm

Post FLRon
Cojak wrote:

While I agree with the premise of your post, I would certainly hope that while we are preaching Jesus Christ and him crucified we are also preaching on the necessity of personal holiness. Sometimes that requires preaching against certain things that others may not find objectionable at all.

I’m about as far from being a legalistic as you can get, but if the denomination has taken a definitive stance against something, I believe the pastor should take the same stand. Otherwise get out and go someplace where the teachings are more palatable to the pastor.

At any rate, I believe my original question has been answered.

Thanks to all...
8/23/19 9:31 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I think a lot of it depends on the overseer and his style of leading and his personality. And I imagine that things have probably changed somewhat through the years. The ones I have known/known of seem very supportive of their pastors and have their backs. But I'm sure there are others that are insecure and that tends to have different results.

I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with members that seem to have his phone # on speed dial and complain about everything their pastor does. Overseers these days have to be problem solvers and know how to soothe troubled waters and make tough decisions. Not all of them are suited for the job.

That is crazy about the bathroom!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/24/19 11:00 am

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
I think a lot of it depends on the overseer and his style of leading and his personality.... Not all of them are suited for the job.

That is crazy about the bathroom!

Good comment Carolyn, Also that opinion on the bathroom is spot on! Cool
8/24/19 5:00 pm

Post My opinion? roughridercog
It becomes more evident the farther you pastor from state headquarters.

Just my opinion.
8/26/19 6:28 am

Post Re: My opinion? Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
It becomes more evident the farther you pastor from state headquarters.

Just my opinion.

Smile Smile Cool
8/26/19 9:09 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic