Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Another one walks away from the faith-Marty Sampson Hillsong (l)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Another one walks away from the faith-Marty Sampson Hillsong (l) caseyleejones
https://www.christianpost.com/news/hillsong-writer-reveals-hes-no-longer-a-christian-im-genuinely-losing-my-faith.html Acts-perienced Poster
8/12/19 7:27 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/preventingrace/2019/08/11/lamentation-upon-the-occassion-of-another-christian-apostacizng/ [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/12/19 8:06 pm

Post Patrick Harris
I read this this morning as well, however, unlike Josh Harris's announcement where I was truly heartbroken, I don't have the same feeling from Marty's statement.
I think it has something to do with the way it was presented or written maybe. I find it to be a little more arrogant.
Acts Enthusiast
8/12/19 8:54 pm

Post philunderwood
I can agree with this statement...

Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point

I, too, am getting tired of the religion that so scarcely resembles the one whose picture hangs on its' wall. Don't read me wrong, I LOVE MY FATHER, JESUS & THE HOLY GHOST and feel this crazy mysterious Trinity is the AB FAB! I just see so little of them in the church.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/12/19 9:36 pm

Post Cojak
Believe me As in marriages, there is a thin line sometimes between love and hate. I read this incident and I actually understood this part:
[b]“I’m genuinely losing my faith, and it doesn’t bother me. Like, what bothers me now is nothing. I am so happy now, so at peace with the world. It’s crazy.”[/b]
I have said it before when I had no faith, no beliefs I still attended church because I love my wife and it made her feel better, if kept our marriage together. But I heard preachers say, "The atheist must be the most miserable man on earth."
I smiled inside, friend you are ignorant, the atheist does not fear nor dream of a future. He KNOWS (wrongly of course) he will die and rot, that is it.

Now to what can cause this? I just attended a district Camp Meeting. with my hearing I was miserable. The minister was GREAT a real dam buster of a sermon on power, WE CAN DO ANYTHING! He told of healings regular in his ministry, miracles 'all the time' etc.. I prayed with all my heart that my friend who when down for prayer would receive his sight as the preacher proclaimed. I watched, praying with all my heart, to see this miracle. The minister went all around the blind man praying, laying on of hands and people falling out, "SEE THE POWER He proclaimed, I am preaching better thn you are listening!"'. He never stopped by my friend and his wife who had led him down He stepped around him twice as my friend was lifting his hands and praying he heart out.

We all believe in healing, I have seen it. But for the high powered ministers of today It seems power to them is folks falling out. I ain't fussing about that. I have been told my doubt stops healing in others, I don't believe that for a minute. But that is my opinion.

I am just saying, please hold fast your faith. It is YOUR salvation that is important, not someone's promises.
That is just my opinion. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/12/19 10:02 pm

Post Cojak
philunderwood wrote:

I, too, am getting tired of the religion that so scarcely resembles the one whose picture hangs on its' wall. Don't read me wrong, I LOVE MY FATHER, JESUS & THE HOLY GHOST and feel this crazy mysterious Trinity is the AB FAB! I just see so little of them in the church.

Yes sir, and we are paying the price.... Embarassed Idea
8/12/19 10:04 pm

Post UncleJD
his core argument about "no one is talking about it", is absolutely false, in my world-view EVERYONE is talking about it, they have been for hundreds of years. This is where basic Sunday-school would have helped but we are too lazy to even have that anymore so its no surprise that the younger generation has no roots. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/13/19 9:34 am

Post Patrick Harris
This is what get me:
Quote:
"how many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send 4 billion people to a place, all coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it."

He's been a part of a Spirit filled church for all those years and he's not heard any of this? He's clearly not been engaged with Hillsong / Brian Houston as a member / attendee. Outside of that, it's not that hard to find people talking /discussing all these things on the internet. It's just a convenient excuse.
Acts Enthusiast
8/13/19 9:49 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
philunderwood wrote:

Sounds like you need to get a new church.

You guys in all these dead churches, singing this guys meaningless Hillsong music (not all of them - but we ought to seriously review the lyrics - if they say nothing - pick something else) really need to get out more.

You all want to blame every other church for doing it wrong - causing folks to leave the faith - when you should be looking in the mirror and seeing where you are dropping the ball.

God free us from all the finger pointing, "see what all you bad Christians are causing" lectures.
8/13/19 9:52 am

Post romans 10:17 famousflavius
The smoke screen is questioning the validity and credibility of the bible but in reality it is the choice to reject the bible. The enemy is up to his same old tricks, that he used on adam and eve.

People are losing faith because they reject the word of god.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/13/19 10:02 am

Post Ok Trump haters... diakoneo
Just read comments on this article. It absolutely AMAZES me that people with TDS can somehow bring Trump in to any conversation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Insanity...much?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/13/19 12:10 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Maybe...Just maybe they are walking away not because they are rejecting what God says but they are walking away because after reading what the Bible says about how we should act and treat each other they don't see that happening.

I can't tell you the numbers of times I've gone to bed and lay there wondering how can fellow believers treat each other the way they do, say the things they do and fight over non-essentials like they do. It's embarrassing.
Acts Enthusiast
8/13/19 1:21 pm

Post UncleJD
Patrick Harris wrote:
Maybe...Just maybe they are walking away not because they are rejecting what God says but they are walking away because after reading what the Bible says about how we should act and treat each other they don't see that happening.

I can't tell you the numbers of times I've gone to bed and lay there wondering how can fellow believers treat each other the way they do, say the things they do and fight over non-essentials like they do. It's embarrassing.

While true, one of the first lessons I was ever taught was to Follow Christ, not Christians.

First, I want to pray for him, this is sad and I don't want to see anyone truly lose out and walk away. Second, I feel these are very intellectually lazy excuses and probably masking something deeper. Most likely there has been a crisis of faith in his family or close circle that has made him rethink what he knows is the truth. Usually it comes in the form of a loved one embracing sin and a yearning to not condemn that loved one to an eternity in hell. I see it all the time, and as this society spins further and further away from truth, its becoming an epidemic. A once good friend of mine turned to "Love Wins" theology because it was too painful for him to concede the fact that his brother would probably NEVER be saved, so to ease his pain, one day he decided that it didn't matter if he ever believed, that Jesus saved everyone on the cross, boom, no longer any need to worry about preaching or sharing the gospel (I guess we can all burn our bibles and purge our history books because everyone will go to heaven even if there are no Christians left on the earth). More often than that, its usually a family member has come out of the closet and rather than face the possibility that they may never be in heaven with them, they have to re-cast God as the great enabler of all sin.

I pray for him and I pray that our churches will once again find it important to teach sound doctrine, apologetics, and theology from the cradle to the grave.
8/13/19 1:49 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Patrick Harris wrote:

Bingo!
Acts-pert Poster
8/13/19 1:54 pm

Post Da Sheik
Seems like Scripture predicted this kind of thing would happen. In fact, it’s been happening since the earliest days of the Church. Paul, Peter, Jude, and John all predicted there would be those who deny the Lord that bought them.

Not surprising when apostates feel relieved. The Bible says their conscience is seared with a hot iron...numb...past feeling. Whenever one of my members come to me with great regret over some sin they’ve committed, I tell them to praise God. The worst feeling in the world is to feel no conviction over sin whatsoever.
Acts Enthusiast
8/13/19 2:38 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
This man walked away because he didn't believe...not because of how other Christians acted...who notoriously fail all the time.

People left Jesus too...because he was Jesus.

Maybe Jesus talked about hell too much.
Maybe Jesus talked about sin too much.
Perhaps we can talk to Jesus and ask him not to mention that God is holy too often.

Maybe people only love Jesus when he feeds them or heals them. When he asks for crucifying the flesh, giving up earthly things because you are now part of the Kingdom....well, maybe it's easier to walk away.

Of course nowadays - you don't just walk away - you publicly proclaim it - so others can see just how noble you are and keep following YOU - instead of Jesus.
8/14/19 6:48 am

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
This man walked away because he didn't believe... ....
Of course nowadays - you don't just walk away - you publicly proclaim it - so others can see just how noble you are and keep following YOU - instead of Jesus.

I actually understand the loss of faith, BUT your statement highlighted is soooo bad, once in the lime light, you want to remain. That was the most pathetic thing about the 'falling away'. To me it was personal, I still admired people who declared they were Christians. I never felt like I NEEDED to declare anything publicly, faith or lack of it is personal.
BUT I still say the highlighted part above is well said. Crying or Very sad
8/14/19 9:17 am

Post shaunbwilson

John Cooper shared this same observation in a Facebook post he penned yesterday.

From the article:

From the Article: wrote:
More and more of our outspoken leaders or influencers who were once “faces” of the faith are falling away. And at the same time they are being very vocal and bold about it. Shockingly they still want to influence others (for what purpose?)as they announce that they are leaving the faith. . . .

. . . [W]e are in a dangerous place when the church is looking to 20 year old worship singers as our source of truth. We now have a church culture that learns who God is from singing modern praise songs rather than from the teachings of the Word. . . .

. . . I’m perplexed why they aren’t embarrassed? Humbled? Ashamed, fearful, confused? Why be so eager to continue leading people when you clearly don’t know where you are headed? . . .

. . . And what we are seeing now is the result of the church raising up influencers who did not supremely value truth who have led a generation who also do not believe in the supremacy of truth. And now those disavowed leaders are proudly still leading and influencing boldly AWAY from the truth.

8/14/19 10:57 am

Post UncleJD
shaunbwilson wrote:

John Cooper shared this same observation in a Facebook post he penned yesterday.

From the article:

From the Article: wrote:
More and more of our outspoken leaders or influencers who were once “faces” of the faith are falling away. And at the same time they are being very vocal and bold about it. Shockingly they still want to influence others (for what purpose?)as they announce that they are leaving the faith. . . .

. . . [W]e are in a dangerous place when the church is looking to 20 year old worship singers as our source of truth. We now have a church culture that learns who God is from singing modern praise songs rather than from the teachings of the Word. . . .

. . . I’m perplexed why they aren’t embarrassed? Humbled? Ashamed, fearful, confused? Why be so eager to continue leading people when you clearly don’t know where you are headed? . . .

. . . And what we are seeing now is the result of the church raising up influencers who did not supremely value truth who have led a generation who also do not believe in the supremacy of truth. And now those disavowed leaders are proudly still leading and influencing boldly AWAY from the truth.

John's article was spot-on, exactly how I felt about it. I also appreciated what he said about the "tough questions" nonsense. Basically EVERYONE has been talking about all those points, for centuries and literally MILLIONS of books on each one. This guy (and the others) act like they are "getting real" and you should of course take them seriously because they are such great leaders. I remember the days when if someone began to doubt their faith, they had enough common sense to just bow out gracefully while they worked things out.
8/14/19 11:08 am

Post Cojak
JD said:
This guy (and the others) act like they are "getting real" and you should of course take them seriously because they are such great leaders. ........

I smiled at the truth in that statement and compared it to teenagers who are 'individuals, expressing themselves', when they are doing exactly what the other teens are doing. They are not individuals, they are following the crowd.

I do not know Mr. Cooper but his comments are spot on. And also what JD said in this statement is so true:

I remember the days when if someone began to doubt their faith, they had enough common sense to just bow out gracefully while they worked things out.

8/14/19 12:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic