Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you ever feel out of place because you don't tat up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you ever feel out of place because you don't tat up? UncleJD
We attend the big AG church in town and its stereotypical/modern. I am getting to the point that I feel that I don't fit in anymore. I guess that's just the way it goes when you get older. But honestly, I told my daughter that we need to put some fake sleeve tattoos on our arms, wear wife-beaters to show them off so we can feel comfortable when we raise our hands to "worship" and show them off like about 90% of everyone else these days. I don't personally think tats are sinful so don't go there, I just think it says "we really love our culture and want to be as close to it as we can get because its AWESOME!"

Sorry for the rant, its just how I'm feeling lately. I go there because its been the only church my family can agree on the last few years, its more of a compromise to keep us from going to 2 or 3 different places (my kids are grown).
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/9/19 9:21 am

Post My personal feeling? roughridercog
We have weak Scriptual evidence to forbid tattoos, but I find them completely trashy.
It doesn't make you tougher or more manly. It takes a beautiful lady and cheapens her like a billboard.

There

That's my personal opinion Surprised
7/9/19 9:24 am

Post UncleJD
I agree. Its become a "thing" for the praise-and-worship team I think. Especially among the young women. They all have something tattooed on the under-side of their forearms it seems. And maybe its just me, but it seems that the way people raise their hands has changed to this "Jesus on the Cross" type of pose that nicely displays their tats so the camera can pick them up on the big screen. I guess I shouldn't feel that way about it, but I do. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/9/19 9:47 am

Post Don't have any..I don't put bumper stickers on nice cars.... caseyleejones
On a serious note, I am from an older generation, in my 50's, where it was not a thing.

There is nothing forbidding tattoos in scripture. At the same time, I discourage people getting them where they are difficult to hide. Some employers do not like them. You become less marketable by having them....same as not brushing your teeth and combing your hair.

I also run into many people, young ones who had them on their wrists, that regretted them within months.

Choose carefully.
Acts-perienced Poster
7/9/19 9:49 am

Post Cojak
Social acceptance of something that was mainly 'motorcycle DUDES' and Bike Tramps. Strange thing from the past few years. The military would not accept an enlistee that had tats not covered by the uniform. AFTER AWHILE THAT HAD TO BE MODIFIED....

I have a $5 USMC tat upper arm. I cannot imagine the cost of entire arms, backs legs and no telling what else. That from people who 'just get by financially!'

Yep a different society that is for sure.

The military once went thru a period of voluntary removal of tats. A friend who had a few, had the climbing 'panther' removed. The USN Doctors did it surgically, leaving the upper claw and the tail tip climbing out of a huge scar. I understand it can be done by lazer now. I think some will do that as time goes on. Shocked Smile

BUT Imma thinking you should get at least a sleeve! Shocked Shocked so you will fit in!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/9/19 10:01 am

Post UncleJD
Military tats, especially from the WWII/Korean era, have always been my exception to the way I feel about most tats. My uncle had a tat from the Navy (WWII), he was a prominent COG preacher and was rather ashamed of it, but I always told him that I thought it was cool and a reminder of what he and his generation went through. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/9/19 10:57 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I was at a water park last weekend.

MOST of the women had tattoos - moreso than even the dudes.

I just don't get it.
7/9/19 11:11 am

Post sheepdogandy
Same here.

Our kids make an annual pilgrimage to Lake Winnie.

Sponsored by two of their Aunts who have no children.

We ride the rides, eat the food and eventually wind up at the water park.

No, I don't participate in the water sports.

I too noticed the number of overweight white folks with tats on arms, legs, etc...

Many with disappointing wardrobe choices. Shocked

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/9/19 12:05 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
sheepdogandy wrote:
Same here.

Our kids make an annual pilgrimage to Lake Winnie.

Sponsored by two of their Aunts who have no children.

We ride the rides, eat the food and eventually wind up at the water park.

No, I don't participate in the water sports.

I too noticed the number of overweight white folks with tats on arms, legs, etc...

Many with disappointing wardrobe choices. Shocked

Agreed, no matter the size of the person, it is apparently a rule that you must wear a swimsuit 2 -3 sizes smaller than what would make you look best.
7/9/19 2:26 pm

Post To ME, it is a marker of a rebellious attitude.... Aaron Scott
Yes, I know that doesn't apply to everyone. I know that some people do it because they love their wife or kids or what have you. But there is a reason that tattoos are considered a marker for criminal behavior. That simply means that people who get tattoos, which are considered outside of standard, normal behavior, demonstrate that they are also more likely to commit a crime, take drugs, have illicit sex, etc. Why? Because it is considered a "risk-taking" behavior...which aligns with drugs, etc.

No, it won't send you to hell...but it might make folks think you're from there. (SMILE)

It's kind of like cigarettes, gambling, and drinking. The Bible may not be explicitly against these things, but these things are associated with the world. Even on secular TV, if a supposedly "good Christian" were caught drinking or gambling, it is looked at as out of alignment in some way.

Tattoos won't send you to hell, but it kind of sends a certain message that can seem out of touch with what many folks think Christianity is.

A huge nose ring and a big hole in your ears won't send you to hell either.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/9/19 3:01 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
My wife has a small tattoo on her shoulder that is hidden if she wears a short-sleeved shirt. It is circular text of John 3:30. "He must become greater" is right-side up and is visible to people who are looking at her. "I must become less" is upside down and only readable to her when she looks down.

She got it after our fourth miscarriage to remind herself of the love and devotion that God has, and will always have, for her.

Do people look at her and assume she loves the world and wants to be like it? Do they assume she has a rebellious attitude? That she's trashy? That it makes her look like she's from hell?

Maybe so.

I'm gonna suggest that in that case, though, she's probably not the one with the problem.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/9/19 3:38 pm

Post Tattoos today are more art than rebellion Patrick Harris
I kind of thought this type of thinking went out in the 80's. It reminds me of when I was in the COG in the 80's and they made nasty remarks about one of the people who attended that had one of those wallets like the bikers carry with a chain attached.

Today tattoos mean nothing more than someone want to express an idea or thought in a more visible means to those around them.

What's really out of touch is that this somehow sends a message that the person is any less a Christian than anyone else.

If that's the message they are getting just because someone has a tattoo than the issue is with them and not the one with a tattoo.

Disclaimer: I don't have any tattoos.
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/19 3:50 pm

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
My wife has a small tattoo on her shoulder that is hidden if she wears a short-sleeved shirt. It is circular text of John 3:30. "He must become greater" is right-side up and is visible to people who are looking at her. "I must become less" is upside down and only readable to her when she looks down.

She got it after our fourth miscarriage to remind herself of the love and devotion that God has, and will always have, for her.

Do people look at her and assume she loves the world and wants to be like it? Do they assume she has a rebellious attitude? That she's trashy? That it makes her look like she's from hell?

Maybe so.

I'm gonna suggest that in that case, though, she's probably not the one with the problem.

This is what I was afraid of in sharing my feelings. Dave I don't think anything is wrong with what she did. I have family that I love with all my heart that have them. My whole point is that maybe 1 in 100 have a story behind them, the rest are there because its considered "normal" today and even expected. My kids have pressure from nearly all of their peers to get them. I stand at church and see it everywhere, and even the majority on the stage doing their outstretched "look at my tat" pose and I KNOW that its pressure on them to do so. Its not a sin, and yeah, maybe its my problem. I certainly feel that it is my problem. But if so, then yeah, its a problem for me. Probably not enough to quit going to the church (because its everywhere now), but enough to make me feel outdated and unwanted because I don't look like everyone else, but HEY, I was raised COG so I'm used to that (anybody else have to go to the waterparks in jeans and t-shirts when you were kids?)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/9/19 3:53 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD, for the record, I read your original post as just you expressing your opinion, most likely about folks that are waaaaaay tatted up. I didn't take any offense to it at all.

This thread kinda went off the rails from there, though. Shocked

But I think you'd be surprised how many have stories behind them. Maybe you should take some time to talk to one of the youngins about their tats. You might find they're just peer-pressured ninnies. But I think you'd be surprised how many have very personal stories and significance to them.

I don't necessarily agree with it either, nor would I want my kids to get them. But Patrick's right that they're a way this generation uses to memorialize and remember. Are all tattoos like that? No, of course not. But I think you'd be very surprised how many are.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/9/19 5:43 pm

Post Patrick Harris
UncleJD
My post was in no way directed at you. If it came off that way I sincerely apologize.

My daughters both have small tattoos and for them it was more of an expression of art and word and not anything else. I’m blessed because they have grown into fine Christian ladies.

I fully understand where your coming from though in our church there are youth that play in the worship team that wear hats on the platform. Sometimes it just boggles my mind to me it’s disrespectful.
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/19 8:55 pm

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
....(anybody else have to go to the waterparks in jeans and t-shirts when you were kids?)

Yep. off subject, but my sister and I had to go in the ocean on our first time seeing it, 'fully dressed', just like being baptized. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wink
Now continue with this tat sutff! LOL I am enjoying it. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/9/19 10:43 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
My post indicated how out of touch I was because I am old.

No judgment toward anyone - I realize this is just the way things are nowadays.

I just don't get the tattoos.

To me, there are other ways to express your love for ____________. At least there was in the past. Nowadays, if you don't memorialize someone with a tattoo - like Grandma or your boyfriend - you really don't love them or you aren't really down for the struggle.

It's a fad. This too shall pass on to the next thing - and I will get further and further out of touch.
7/10/19 6:59 am

Post Dave, I don't like them....but...I always ask... caseyleejones
"whats the story behind that"....it opens up a dialogue and always makes a connection.....especially with black individuals. Acts-perienced Poster
7/10/19 8:27 am

Post Re: Dave, I don't like them....but...I always ask... Dave Dorsey
caseyleejones wrote:
"whats the story behind that"....it opens up a dialogue and always makes a connection.....especially with black individuals.

Sure. Because, contra this thread, there is usually a meaningful and personal story behind them.

BTW, I do not have a tattoo and do not have any interest in getting one.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/10/19 8:56 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I am considering a tat for the left calf. I want the Boston Marathon logo about 3 inches in diameter. Acts-pert Poster
7/10/19 9:26 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic