Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is the State Council's role?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What is the State Council's role? Darrell Garrett
Before I make this statement and ask the questions, let me say that this is not about any person or current administration, but is posed as asking what is the role of State Council members across the board, in any state.

My thought and understanding is that the ministry of the state elects men to be on the State Council. Shouldn't it be that these SC members are elected to this position to serve and represent the Church Body of that state to tend to the business of the state, not to serve exclusively at the pleasure and purpose of the AB. As such, should not the ministers of the state have knowledge of what is going on in those meetings? Obviously, there are some issues that must be kept confidential, but the affairs of the state (in my opinion) should not be a closely guarded secret. I've seen and heard of SC men who were lambasted because they spoke of "council business" to ministers of the state. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think that if there are financial concerns, or if there is a plan to make changes in the state that will affect the entire Body, then that Body has every right to know what is transpiring and being dealt with. But it seems it has been dealt with almost in a "cloak and dagger" type manner. Just my opinion, but I think this is one of the problems that is causing a decline in many of our churches. In my last church, I can say with absolute truth that I lost at least 40 people for this exact reason. On one day I lost 4 families (17 people) who came to me and told me that they loved me but that they would no longer financially support an organization where they had no voice in the choices and direction of where the church was going. Three of the men had spoken to a SC member and voiced their concerns and they were told that when their pastor was elected to the State Council then they'd have a voice. It sure seems it has become a hierarchy type thing and that's not a good thing to convey to the people who the very reason those men are there.

Again... this is NOT about a current administration. The example I cited took place about eight years ago and has no reflection of the current AB or the current State Council.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/11/19 7:14 am

Post Why the main purpose of a State Council is Judge Roy Bean
Approve what the state overseer has already done or has decided to do. Don't buck the big boy or open your mouth about any shenanigans or you'll wind up without a church or credential, I tell you what.
Real transparency would result in some of these here fellas a losing their state and maybe even prosecution by the authorities.
They might end up spending some time in the bear cage.
These fellas better not come up before my bench.
6/11/19 8:45 am

Post Re: What is the State Council's role? diakoneo
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Before I make this statement and ask the questions, let me say that this is not about any person or current administration, but is posed as asking what is the role of State Council members across the board, in any state.

My thought and understanding is that the ministry of the state elects men to be on the State Council. Shouldn't it be that these SC members are elected to this position to serve and represent the Church Body of that state to tend to the business of the state, not to serve exclusively at the pleasure and purpose of the AB. As such, should not the ministers of the state have knowledge of what is going on in those meetings? Obviously, there are some issues that must be kept confidential, but the affairs of the state (in my opinion) should not be a closely guarded secret. I've seen and heard of SC men who were lambasted because they spoke of "council business" to ministers of the state. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think that if there are financial concerns, or if there is a plan to make changes in the state that will affect the entire Body, then that Body has every right to know what is transpiring and being dealt with. But it seems it has been dealt with almost in a "cloak and dagger" type manner. Just my opinion, but I think this is one of the problems that is causing a decline in many of our churches. In my last church, I can say with absolute truth that I lost at least 40 people for this exact reason. On one day I lost 4 families (17 people) who came to me and told me that they loved me but that they would no longer financially support an organization where they had no voice in the choices and direction of where the church was going. Three of the men had spoken to a SC member and voiced their concerns and they were told that when their pastor was elected to the State Council then they'd have a voice. It sure seems it has become a hierarchy type thing and that's not a good thing to convey to the people who the very reason those men are there.

Again... this is NOT about a current administration. The example I cited took place about eight years ago and has no reflection of the current AB or the current State Council.

Within sinful man there is always the desire to be in the "inner circle". It's exclusivity is very enticing. Once there the AVERAGE person would not dare rock the boat. Why? He might get tossed out of the circle, of course.

It is the rare man that makes it into the circle and starts to shake things up. "Cause trouble". Business as usual, is the name of the game there in the inner circle. "Yes" is the answer of most men in that "inner circle." "Why should I be the one to make waves?"
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/11/19 10:58 am

Post skinnybishop
I think the better question is, "What is the role of the state office?"

Many churches already have their own youth camps and camp meetings. There are large churches that are operating almost like state offices.
6/11/19 11:59 am

Post Darrell Garrett
diakoneo wrote:
Quote:
It is the rare man that makes it into the circle and starts to shake things up. "Cause trouble". Business as usual, is the name of the game there in the inner circle. "Yes" is the answer of most men in that "inner circle." "Why should I be the one to make waves?"

You said a mouthful there, but take it a step further. I believe you are correct about not wanting to be tossed from the inner circle, but for many it is also the fear of losing "favor" and even their church or any future posibility of advancement to another church. To be clear, there are those who will and do speak up, but it is indeed rare. When men are operating from a standpoint of fear, God's will is seldom going to be accomplished.
6/11/19 3:44 pm

Post My thoughts on the SC 4thgeneration
I have served numerous times as a member of the SC in the state/region where I pastor. During some of that time I served as the first elected, sometimes known as the chairman. I can tell you from many years of experience of serving with numerous Overseers that much of the supposed cloud of secrecy and fear dynamic is just made up by those not in the know.
Are there things discussed in confidentiality? Absolutely! Sometimes things need to be fleshed out before they are presented to the larger body. And during that fleshing out time, information floating around can cause huge detriment to great ideas. And sometimes once an idea is fleshed out, it is scrapped. No reason then to get word circling about something that may/may not transpire.
Sometimes confidentiality flows from dealing with ministers and personal situations, violations of teachings/polity that must be addressed, or churches and struggles they are facing. Again, it is of no positive avail to talk those things publicly.
I've never seen any great conspiracy to keep the general populace of ministers or membership in the dark. Just the common sense reality that some things demand confidentiality. Pastors should all understand the value and need for confidentiality.
As per fear, I've never been afraid to speak and vote how I felt. I've never felt strong-armed into conceding just to satisfy the whims of the Overseer. In fact, those I've served with make it clear that we are elected by our peers to voice and vote on their behalf. That is what I do. So I've spoken and voted against ideas presented by Overseers, and have never felt any ramification for such. I strive to always be respectful and considerate with those whom I disagree. But I've never been threatened or made to be afraid that I'd lose my church or credentials because I vote how I feel.
So, IMO the state council serves as an oversight board, dealing with matters of finances and business concerning the state/region. They serve alongside the Overseer to promote the ministry of the COG in said state/region.
Acts Enthusiast
6/12/19 5:06 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
That's great that this has been your experience and I'd hope that it is for many others. But I do know that there have been many times, even recently, that SC members have been rebuked for "taking out of school." As I stated, there must be confidentiality on many issues, but it is not a secret society. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/13/19 9:54 am

Post sheepdogandy
No fear and yet the use of a pen name?

I do not wish to "out" you 4th.

I just got tickled when I read your post. Laughing

www.spwc.church
6/13/19 10:51 am

Post Look here fellas, let's be honest Judge Roy Bean
The AB rules the state supremely. He can schedule all types of meetings on his docket, listen to what those cow hands around the big table say, but he is the range boss.
If they make a stand against the big boss, they can't expect a decent move if they want one. They may be totally isolated in the denomination.

Now here's the truth fellas, if an AB sets his sight on a preacher, most of his friends usually head for the hills, I tell you what. Oh they might talk to him on the sly and talk about how someone or something is being done wrong, but I've never seen the men band together and stand unified against the range boss.

You think they are going to pull their Stetsons low across their eyes and tell the overseer that they've sent in their last dollar to the state office other than the tax of tithes. You think they will have the spurs to say that he can have a state meeting all by himself. You think they will band together and send letters to the big house in Tennessee that something is being done wrong and the cow hands ain't gonna stand for it. You think they are gonna take their little herd of longhorns from the big herd and start their own ranch?

Nope, it ain't gonna happen, pards. It would take a lot of guption and iron that too many cow hands are lacking.

If you make a stand, make sure you got the sun to your back, I tell you what.

But don't you go expecting anyone to pick up their old Sharps and stand with you. It won't happen.

This is a case I'd love to see in my courtroom, but my bear cage just ain't big enough.
6/13/19 7:13 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic