Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Creepy preacher defends huge personal fortune and life of extreme luxury as an expression of biblical Christianity (V)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Creepy preacher defends huge personal fortune and life of extreme luxury as an expression of biblical Christianity (V) Dave Dorsey
Also takes God's name in vain repeatedly.

Interesting stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtF34MrsfI
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/2/19 4:34 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Speechless Acts-pert Poster
6/2/19 5:47 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
You've ruined my day.

God's money being wasted on greed and excess - and it apparently makes people look deranged on TV. Copeland looked totally crazy. Christians everywhere look like fools. If I was Muslim - I would play this clip over and over to point out everything wrong with Christianity.

Reporter on clip was first class. I wish she would go to Washington and ask the tough questions of Reps. and Dems - which no one does today.
6/2/19 4:58 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Reporter on clip was first class. I wish she would go to Washington and ask the tough questions of Reps. and Dems - which no one does today.

Agreed, she was respectful and polite but held no punches and wouldn't let him off the hook no matter what he tried.

Her Twitter profile says, "Armed with a mic & lipgloss, I chase badguys on TV." So it sounds like the folks in Washington would be right up her alley.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/2/19 5:46 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Speechless

Thumb Up Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/2/19 11:58 pm

Post Da Sheik
“I love Inside Edition” Laughing

Copeland and the rest of his ilk have done great damage to the Body of Christ through their false teachings. Even if I wasn’t a Christian I think I would have enough discernment to see something is bad wrong with this man.
Acts Enthusiast
6/3/19 7:01 am

Post UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
You've ruined my day.

God's money being wasted on greed and excess - and it apparently makes people look deranged on TV. Copeland looked totally crazy. Christians everywhere look like fools. If I was Muslim - I would play this clip over and over to point out everything wrong with Christianity.

Did she share the fact that most Christians do not agree with this false doctrine? (I'm asking because I'd be surprised if she did, but I do NOT want to watch anything about him this morning, not a good way to start a Monday)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/3/19 8:38 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
Did she share the fact that most Christians do not agree with this false doctrine? (I'm asking because I'd be surprised if she did, but I do NOT want to watch anything about him this morning, not a good way to start a Monday)

She didn't say those exact words, but it was pretty clear she viewed him as a far-out exception. He was in no way portrayed as representative of Christianity. At one point she mentions that both of her grandfathers were pastors who lived in relative poverty while they focused on the work of the ministry, and asks him about that. She also mentioned a biblical text or two in response to things he was saying, such as it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/3/19 8:45 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

She didn't say those exact words, but it was pretty clear she viewed him as a far-out exception. He was in no way portrayed as representative of Christianity. At one point she mentions that both of her grandfathers were pastors who lived in relative poverty while they focused on the work of the ministry.

Nice. thanks Dave. I still don't want to watch it. I had my fill of him when my wife used to work for him. She came home in tears one too many times from false doctrine and attempted forced behavior that confused and troubled her. We were done with him and his kind in the early 90s.
6/3/19 8:48 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
Nice. thanks Dave. I still don't want to watch it.

You're definitely not missing anything, brother. Except perhaps his crazy tiny beady little eyes. He's outside, but in a shaded hanger, so it probably isn't the sunlight making his pupils so small.

That can be a side effect of various medications, though...
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/3/19 8:54 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave, I knew the eyes were wrong - but I didn't pick up on the pupils.

In one bit of fairness to Copeland - he did talk with her for 12 minutes trying to get it right - but there was no defending the original question regarding a quote from him - that he bought a plane to stay out of a tube of demons which he would have on a commercial flight.

He said it wasn't the people he was talking about - then he unfortunately gave an example of it being people - but he said it was spiritual.

But I want to know - why would spiritual demons be only on the plane - and not in the air - or on the ground in the coffeehouse. And don't those folks on the plane need to be around spiritual giants such as himself?

He also said his ministry has saved 133 million.
C'mon. I thought COG preachers spoke evangelistically. If that is true - only 45 Copelands and the whole world is saved. With Duplantis and company all around him - how is anyone not saved at this point?

How many planes does a dude need? He has more than and built his own airport next to his house.

He tried a diversion to say he has natural gas on his property. But how did he get the property - and how much of his wealth comes from that natural gas.

Too many questions unanswered - and he looked slimy - he looked old.

He made us all look bad.
6/3/19 9:24 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Good points all around, NBF.

Copeland is also 82 years old. He doesn't look it by a long shot, but I try to keep that in mind when considering creepy mannerisms, etc. Older folks sometimes act a little different.

The thing about the number of conversions struck me as well. I'm honestly shocked we haven't had a poster come into this thread yet to mention it in Copeland's defense. 133 million people who raised a hand or filled out a card after being told about a false Jesus who will bless them with material wealth if they just agree to make him their lord.

Billy Graham preached the gospel of Jesus Christ and his organization made tremendous efforts to follow up and ensure people got plugged into local churches and got discipled, and he still mourned at the end of his life over how many false converts he must have had.

How many more among that 133 million, who answered the call of a Jesus who promises total earthly health and wealth?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/3/19 10:36 am

Post I stopped watching when he said... Aaron Scott
I stopped watching when he said, "You've caught me off-guard." If something is really above-board and completely justified, it should be easy to promptly explain or justify.

When it's more difficult than that, you ought to question whether it's really as justified as you think. AND EVEN IF IT IS, you have to take into account that there are some things that, while not of themselves wrong, can still cast a shadow on the work of the Lord.

Certainly, if I were preaching to massive congregations and had to "bring it" every time (so to speak), yeah, I'd likely NOT want to be on a plane with massive distractions from prayer and study. I don't at all begrudge the private jet. But THREE OF THEM? That's when it gets hard to explain.

Of course, if we aren't careful, we'll fall into that snare where if a preacher has a Cadillac (back in the day--today it's a Lexus, I suppose), we might think him to not be as humble as he ought to be, not rightfully using offerings, on and on.

But back YEARS AGO, when Copeland and others were first really taken to task over their wealth,that would have been a good time to divest of some of the extravagances.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/3/19 11:04 am

Post Re: I stopped watching when he said... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:

But back YEARS AGO, when Copeland and others were first really taken to task over their wealth,that would have been a good time to divest of some of the extravagances.

Instead he doubled-down on it. Or triple-downed I guess. There's nothing wrong with being a pilot or liking planes, but yeah, 3???
6/3/19 11:32 am

Post Re: I stopped watching when he said... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
Certainly, if I were preaching to massive congregations and had to "bring it" every time (so to speak), yeah, I'd likely NOT want to be on a plane with massive distractions from prayer and study.

You know, you would think so, but my old church had Jesse Duplantis come speak two times, and each time the message was just a rehash of a bunch of sayings and stories I had heard on his tapes dozens of times, with a couple of out of context Bible verses to serve as a text.

I don't know how much preparation these guys do, to be honest. I think they're mostly just practiced, gifted speakers who fly around performing for congregations and collecting money from them.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/3/19 11:42 am

Post Re: I stopped watching when he said... Da Sheik
Dave Dorsey wrote:

I don't know how much preparation these guys do, to be honest. I think they're mostly just practiced, gifted speakers who fly around performing for congregations and collecting money from them.

Bingo! They have their set of Old Testament proof texts a few NT verses twisted out of context, and a few catch phrases ("I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" or Copeland's famous "glo-ray be to gawd" every time he thinks he says something profound) that they repeat over and over.
Acts Enthusiast
6/3/19 2:31 pm

Post Re: I stopped watching when he said... Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
Bingo! They have their set of Old Testament proof texts a few NT verses twisted out of context, and a few catch phrases ("I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" or Copeland's famous "glo-ray be to gawd" every time he thinks he says something profound) that they repeat over and over.

The most embarrassing moment by far was when Duplantis used the word "hermeneutics" in a catchphrase and then said, "I am Dr. Jesse Duplantis," as if he knew such a word because of his education, when that's a word a first term seminary student would know and Duplantis has never received any degree from a college except for his honorary doctorate from ORU.

I physically cringe every time I think about that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/3/19 3:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic