Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preaching and Teaching

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Preaching and Teaching Cojak
For some reason the COG (and other fundamentals) congregations cannot handle 'teaching', that is good teaching. Hayford (since his name came up lately) does a great job of teaching in his sermons. For some reason many of my brothers and sisters consider both as separate. I have always thought a sermon should teach.

Since I lost my hearing and depend on both lip reading and hearing, I love to hear good teaching. I do not mind some running and shouting as one is delivering a 'SERMON' but it is nice to HEAR "SOMETHING" that blesses, instructs and tells me something.

One of the things I remember from my dad was his statement to mom once over dinner. "Honey, I feel I have accomplished what God intended if our people can remember at least ONE thing all week, from a sermon that God has given me. Most Christians cannot remember what a sermon was about, much less a great teaching point!"

I have mentioned it before, but we once visited RR's church in MO. The first part of the service was a teaching segment that we have always enjoyed talking about, it was a blessing.

I only mention this because for the past few months our pastor has had us meet in the fellowship hall, where he sits and teaches. Our SS nite services had dwindled to 10-20 scattered over 300 seats. The last few SS nights we have gained up to near 40. He is doing a great job teaching and we are getting involved. Our church is doing well after a split that I NEVER envisioned in our church, the split happened at the pastoral change. I was so disappointed in some of my good brothers and sisters. But life goes on and God is Good! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/18/19 11:43 pm

Post Da Sheik
A good pastor will always teach even when he’s preaching. Unfortunately, we in the Pentecostal tradition have this idea that in order to preach effectively you have to yell, jump, and become red in the face. If a man does not demonstrate great outward manifestation of emotion he is denigrated as a mere “teacher”. Acts Enthusiast
5/19/19 7:08 am

Post Darrell Garrett
I absolutely agree. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/19/19 7:19 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
A good pastor will always teach even when he’s preaching. Unfortunately, we in the Pentecostal tradition have this idea that in order to preach effectively you have to yell, jump, and become red in the face. If a man does not demonstrate great outward manifestation of emotion he is denigrated as a mere “teacher”.

Thumb Up Thumb Up
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/19/19 8:12 am

Post FLRon
Da Sheik wrote:
A good pastor will always teach even when he’s preaching. Unfortunately, we in the Pentecostal tradition have this idea that in order to preach effectively you have to yell, jump, and become red in the face. If a man does not demonstrate great outward manifestation of emotion he is denigrated as a mere “teacher”.

This^^^^^^
I have heard many great preachers referred to as " he's a great teacher but not a very good preacher".
Sad, but many congregations expect loud and wildly emotional or it ain't real preaching.
5/19/19 9:15 am

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:

Yes, very well said, and I agree with FLRon's comment.

Again tonight we as a church received a great 'sermon' hidden in good teaching by our pastor. I have never seen our 'church CORE' so enthused about night services. I am very surprised and happy with what I see and hear. God is good and our church is blessed with a pastor with insight!

Cool
5/19/19 9:35 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak wrote:
Again tonight we as a church received a great 'sermon' hidden in good teaching by our pastor. I have never seen our 'church CORE' so enthused about night services.

Praise the Lord! This is what happens when God's word is carefully taught and proclaimed. God's people hear it, are changed by it, and hunger for more of it! No distracting, theatrical performances needed.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/20/19 8:20 am

Post sheepdogandy
Yesterday, we had the best of both.

In the morning service many were blessed as the Spirit of God moved mightily.

A message in Tongues with the Interpretation encouraged folks to bring their petitions and needs before the Lord in prayer.

No formal sermon given, none needed.

Last night we were blessed to have Dr Byron Henderson teach on the ashes of the red heifer.

He spoke with a power point presentation well over an hour.

No one left as everyone was edified.

We were pleased to welcome some Church of God folk who do not hold Sunday Evening services at their Church.

The best of both.

Balanced, as I believe it ought to be.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/20/19 9:44 am

Post Cojak
[quote="Dave Dorsey"][...
Praise the Lord! This is what happens when God's word is carefully taught and proclaimed. God's people hear it, are changed by it, and hunger for more of it! No distracting, theatrical performances needed.[/quote]

WE are presently in wood and mortar home vs the motor home. I have positioned my and my wife's PC beside each other. You expressed how I feel and she readily agrees. There are so many times I say, "I wish I had said it that way!" this is one of those times and she agrees.

God is Good even in our 80s!

I always enjoy reading here so many times things are said the way I wish I could express them. My vocabulary has never passed the 8th grade level, but now I am losing some of that and it gets me in hot water. Smile Smile Smile Shocked
5/20/19 9:45 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I enjoy good teaching and preaching. I guess it kind of depends on who's doing it. Much as I love Perry Stone, I enjoy his preaching a lot more than his teaching. His teaching tends to bore me or I just get lost with what he's trying to say.

As it's been said, a good preacher has teaching in his message. I enjoy both the loud, Pentecostal-type message, but I also can hang with a gentler, calmer message that has meat in it.

Seems like I heard someone say the difference in preaching and teaching is that preaching gives real-life illustrations. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I've been teaching adult Sunday School for more than 15 years, and I am pretty comfortable doing that. But my pastor asked me to fill in for him one Sunday morning last year when he was going to be out of town, and it really freaked me out thinking about it. At the same time, I knew he wouldn't ask me if he didn't feel directed of the Lord. And when I prayed about it, I felt God saying to me, "Are you going to walk through this door I've opened?" So I did...But it was definitely a different experience. Smile
5/20/19 9:55 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
If preaching doesn't have teaching in it - what exactly are they saying?

Somebody give me an example of preaching with no teaching in it.

And if there is such a thing - would anyone come back to hear this "preacher" a second time?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sit through the whole first sermon.

mumbo dogface banana patch spritzer frere danke
5/21/19 6:43 am

Post MrSippi
Very Happy Friendly Face
5/21/19 9:51 am

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

And if there is such a thing - would anyone come back to hear this "preacher" a second time?

WEll you ask a hard question. If you have not experienced it, good for you. To me it is when many good things are said, but none are tied together. Taking clips from scripture thru out the bible, out of context, but they sound great. Entertaining with stories and good jokes, but when it is over there was no 'one message' to tie the thoughts in a solid package that my mind could take home and remember. Most delivered with fervor, some shouting and lots of 'say amen and repeat after me's'.
Yeah that all sounds silly, but there are many messages delivered that sound just as silly. Of course any scripture is good and should be a blessing, but when it has no rhyme nor reason it is a sounding brass!

JMO of course
5/21/19 9:06 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Cojak wrote:

WEll you ask a hard question. If you have not experienced it, good for you. To me it is when many good things are said, but none are tied together. Taking clips from scripture thru out the bible, out of context, but they sound great. Entertaining with stories and good jokes, but when it is over there was no 'one message' to tie the thoughts in a solid package that my mind could take home and remember. Most delivered with fervor, some shouting and lots of 'say amen and repeat after me's'.
Yeah that all sounds silly, but there are many messages delivered that sound just as silly. Of course any scripture is good and should be a blessing, but when it has no rhyme nor reason it is a sounding brass!

JMO of course

Thanks cojak.

If that is what everyone means by it - then I guess I HAVE heard it.

Cheap applause lines, "Homos are ruining this country" - "Apple pie is great" "Give Jesus a hand" - yeah I've been in those. And no, I don't ever go back for a second helping.
5/22/19 6:38 am

Post The Difference is More than Just Emotion FG Minister
It appears that those on this board believe preaching is louder and more emotional than teaching. That preaching is fiery and teaching is dry. That preaching aims at the heart while teaching aims for the head. Preaching is a simple attempt to stir the emotions while teaching is more methodical and systematic. I don’t agree.

Preaching is when the speaker is announcing something that God is doing or is about to do. Preaching is telling people good news from God. Preaching is urgent and will change the lives of the hearers (i.e. sermon on the Lord’s Return). Teaching, on the other hand, explains to people how we know the Lord will return, for example. Teaching gives explanation of the good news and backs it up with scripture.

Imagine a news reporter interrupting a broadcast with breaking news. He’s the preacher; he announces and proclaims. Once the announcement has been made (preached), then he (as teacher) explains how he came to know what he just announced and what we are to do about it. In my humble opinion, a preacher who doesn’t teach is nothing more than an announcer.
Acts-celerater
5/22/19 7:19 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:

JMO of course

That's called vain babbling. Laughing Laughing Laughing
5/22/19 7:38 pm

Post Bro Bob
Matthew 5 verse 2, "And he opened his mouth and TAUGHT THEM, saying...

Yet we call it "The sermon on the mount".
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/22/19 8:43 pm

Post Cojak
Bro Bob wrote:
Matthew 5 verse 2, "And he opened his mouth and TAUGHT THEM, saying...

Yet we call it "The sermon on the mount".

Cool Sweet BB! Smile
5/22/19 10:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic