Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

When was the last time abortion was addressed in a sermon

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post When was the last time abortion was addressed in a sermon caseyleejones
at your church and in what context?

I got to thinking about it and in 28 years and several churches do to moving locations, I have only heard it addressed once and in this context.....

"you can settle the abortion debate if you can answer this one questions, does life begin at conception?"

Whether right or wrong, I have not heard a church publicly condemning the act of abortion. At the same time, I wonder how many in church feel it should be legal.
Acts-perienced Poster
5/18/19 9:45 am

Post Well, I for one mention it often and loudly brotherjames
We have even stood outside the Supreme Court with tape on our mouths in protest. And, when election season rolls around the question I always pose is this:
When you consider a candidate for which to vote, vote the Bible. If your candidate is for abortion (understanding the Roe v Wade is the law of the land at the moment) except for rape etc., then they are disqualified for your vote based on Biblical standards. My church knows where we stand.

Last edited by brotherjames on 5/18/19 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts-celerater
5/18/19 9:55 am

Post Dave Dorsey
This past January, on National Right to Life day. Prayer was offered that the evil of abortion would end in our country, and that God would show mercy and grant forgiveness to our nation. At the same time, the gospel was proclaimed to women who have had abortions so that they would know forgiveness could be found in Christ, and that those who had repented would have assurance of that forgiveness and knowledge that God will make all things right. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/18/19 9:55 am

Post Five Weeks Ago FG Minister
In a series on the Ten Commandments. "You shall not murder." Acts-celerater
5/19/19 6:38 am

Post UncleJD
This is what has been bugging me for the last few years too. Every church that believes in the sanctity of God's created life should be exposing abortion for what it truly is at the very least once or twice a year (that's not much). But its not. There are a few churches like Bro. James' that do it often, and thank God for those. But I'll go out on a limb and say his is probably one in 10 or worse. Its why every time there is an abortion debate on social media, I read post after post that says something to the effect of "I'm a Christian, but I feel its a woman's choice to make about 'HER OWN BODY'". First, there's something fundamentally wrong with any Christian calling our body our own (You are not your own, you are bought with a price). Secondly and more to the discussion, obviously these young Christians are hearing and forming their opinions on abortion from Hollywood and CNN and getting very little to NO information or admonishment from their local church.

Yes, I'm sorry to say I think the Church bears responsibility. When I read a few days ago that the American birthrate is down to 1.7 children per household, and that the Church mirrors that statistic as well. I realize that abortion is a SYMPTOM (albeit the most horrific one), but not the actual problem in our society. We no longer value family. Children are a burden and impediment to our materialistic lifestyle. As we reach the age our children have grown up, I look at my contemporaries and see so many friends who opted to never have children. Sure they go on lavish trips, have big cars and houses, and live the dream. Then one day they post that their "beloved dog of 15 years has passed away and we're so devastated", I can't help but feel saddened for them that they will spend their declining years lonely with nobody that cares for them. What a miserable life we creating for ourselves in this country. Anyways, just sharing my heart on this subject, I'm really sad for the future of America, especially for American Christians.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/20/19 9:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD, great points all around. The problem isn't really a lack of attention to abortion in particular -- it's a lack of attention to proper teaching of biblical doctrine and theology, a worldview which will transcend in the changed heart to abortion and all other topics.

It's unimaginable that someone who is taught about (and believes in) God as creator, Christ as redeemer and Lord, the body as having been bought with a price, etc. would make such an asinine, carnal statement.

And as you observe, while this does result in unbiblical views toward abortion, it affects every other area of so-called believers' lives as well. I also do not know what the future holds for such a lukewarm, shallow church.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/20/19 11:55 am

Post Brandon Bowers
I'm considering doing a series later this year with my teenagers on "Hot Topics" and covering this, along with other issues.

My youth group teens tell me that abortion is a really hot topic in their schools right now, and the loud mouths on campus are pro-abortion. They are afraid to stand up for what's right, out of fear of bullying and retaliation.
5/20/19 5:02 pm

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
... Then one day they post that their "beloved dog of 15 years has passed away and we're so devastated", I can't help but feel saddened for them that they will spend their declining years lonely with nobody that cares for them. What a miserable life we creating for ourselves in this country. Anyways, just sharing my heart on this subject, I'm really sad for the future of America, especially for American Christians.

I wasn't going to comment, but this hit a cord with me. I am amazed at people, especially Christians, who have raised their pets to the level of actual family. Your statements are very true. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/20/19 9:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic