Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Tithing is not a CURSE of the Law. It is BLESSING to those who do.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Tithing is not a CURSE of the Law. It is BLESSING to those who do. doyle
At times, we hear that "we are no longer under the CURSE of the Law." Personally, I've never viewed the Old Testament Law as a curse. A teacher, yes. A moral law, yes. A taskmaster, yes. God's Word, yes.

To me, the Old Testament Law is what developed Israel into the place where God could send forth His Son. Would I want to live under all of the OT Law? Not unless it was still required in full by God.

I don't see the Ten Commandments as a curse. All Scripture, including all the OT Books, "are given by God and are for our learning." All the OT Books we preach from; Joshua, Daniel, Psalms, Proverbs etc., were lived and written when the OT Law was in effect.

Neither do I feel that Tithing is a curse. Is it still a requirement? Jesus said tithing is something "You ought to do" (Matthew 23:23). Unless the Lord was a Tither, no way would He have told others to do it. It is guaranteed that His enemies checked to see if He really was doing what He told others to do.

It should be noted that Jesus did not say unless you tithe, you will bust Hell wide open.

FOLLOWING THE LORD IN...
We encourage people to, "Follow the Lord in water Baptism. What's wrong with encouraging people to, "Follow the Lord in Tithing."

All the Disciples were tithers. Most likely ALL of the 120 filled with the Holy Ghost at Pentecost were tithers. Most likely, those saved after Peter's Sermon when the Holy Ghost was poured out, were also Tithers. Peter said they were "devout men."

Is it possible that on the Day of Pentecost, 3000 Tithers got saved and 120 were filled with the Holy Ghost? Hmm.

Seems to me that when God wanted to do something powerful, He used Tithers. But the point about Tithing is actually much broader than that.

HAVE THE BLESSINGS BEEN CANCELLED?
Even if you believe Tithing is no longer required as it was under the Law, is there anywhere In Scripture that says THE BLESSINGS OF TITHING have been nullified? If there is, I'm opened to being enlightened. At this time, I've never seen anything that says the blessings pronounced on Tithers, has been cancelled.

Soooooo, instead of shying away from talking or preaching about tithing, tell people about the blessings. Instead of verbally beating people over the head for what they are NOT doing, emphasize the blessings of Tithing as shared with us in Scripture.

No need to hype or over-promise. Just share what Scripture says about the blessings upon Tithers. Share with people that we don't tithe because the hammer of the Law is hanging over our heads. We don't tithe because of stuff we could get in return.

KEEPING THE MAIN THING - THE MAIN THING
We tithe because we love the Lord and want to contribute to His work on earth. However, the MAIN reason we tithe is because it is PLEASING to the Lord.

Last edited by doyle on 4/30/19 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
4/30/19 11:11 am

Post Darrell Garrett
It's not the Law that is cursed. The world and the world's system is cursed because of the fall. Obedience to God's Word (all of it) removes us from that curse. People have it all twisted in their heads. It's NOT that God curses those who do not tithe, but the other way around. We live in a cursed world and our obedience puts us in alignment with God's system. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/19 11:27 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
and our obedience puts us in alignment with God's system.

Yikes. This is antithetical to the gospel which is given freely because our obedience could never put us in alignment with God.

I understand that we are given grace following regeneration to resist our sinful nature and walk in obedience to God, but Gal 3:3 makes it clear this is still the free and gracious working of God in us.

The concept of us meriting or earning this before or after salvation does not IMO align with the gospel.

If I'm misunderstanding you, please clarify. You said the curse is removed by obedience to all of God's law, but Scripture says it is removed by Christ.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 11:56 am

Post Darrell Garrett
I said nothing about salvation. But you can be saved and still be missing out on God's provision and blessing because you are not obedient. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/19 12:01 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
I said nothing about salvation. But you can be saved and still be missing out on God's provision and blessing because you are not obedient.

Okay. I may have misunderstood you then.

But even after salvation, don't we continue to live only and solely because of the gospel working in us?

My obedience to God is an expectation of one who has been raised to new life, but how can I merit blessing for doing something that is only possible because of Christ working in me?

It seems that God blesses us in Christ, period, and part of that blessing is our new ability in Him to be obedient from the heart to the commandments of God.

We HAVE been blessed with every spiritual blessing, as Ephesians 1:3 says, and from that place of justification and grace we are able to be obedient (Eph 4-6) to what God requires of us.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:03 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Might want to read James chapter 2 again.

Then Jesus said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” — Luke 11:28
Peter (et al) received a massive catch of fish when they obeyed the command of Jesus. Had they not cast their nets, they would have received nothing.

Last edited by Darrell Garrett on 4/30/19 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/19 12:06 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Might want to read James chapter 2 again.

Why? I'm not suggesting that works or obedience are not required of us.

What I'm saying is that our obedience to God in Christ gives us no reason to boast, or expect that we will merit blessings as a result. He is our all in all, He gives us the ability to obey, we obey in Him, and so on what basis can we say, "God, now you will bless me because I have obeyed," when it is only His grace that makes it possible for us to obey?

That's the beauty of the gospel... all of the blessings are given freely, including the ability in Christ to be obedient from the heart to the commandments of God.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:09 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Seems to me you are suggesting that God will bless those who are disobedient equally. Right? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/19 12:12 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Seems to me you are suggesting that God will bless those who are disobedient equally. Right?

I'm saying that obeying God in Christ's strength does not give us reason to boast.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:12 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Seems to me you are suggesting that God will bless those who are disobedient equally. Right?

I'm saying that obeying God in Christ's strength does not give us reason to boast.

Who said anything about boasting?
4/30/19 12:14 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Who said anything about boasting?

A man claiming that he now merits God's blessing because of what he has done is boasting.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:15 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
But to your question, does this not occur? Does the wicked man not get his full while the righteous go hungry?

Why is this so, if the righteous earn natural blessing through their obedience?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:16 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Dave Dorsey wrote:
But to your question, does this not occur? Does the wicked man not get his full while the righteous go hungry?

Why is this so, if the righteous earn natural blessing through their obedience?

You'll have to ask God to explain that. I only stand on His Word.
4/30/19 12:21 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
You'll have to ask God to explain that. I only stand on His Word.

Where does Scripture establish the doctrine of meriting financial blessing through our obedience in the new covenant?

Read through 2 Cor 8-9. Scripture does not support this.

8:5 and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us

8:7 But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also.

8:8 I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine

9:6-7 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

9:10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

It goes on... the message of Scripture is of a God who gloriously and freely provides for us so that we are then enabled to give to others, according to what we have, not what we don't (8:12)

God moves, and in His power and grace and strength He enables us to respond. I don't see anywhere, except under the Law, where we move and then God responds to our works with blessing.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:29 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Who said anything about meriting "financial blessing"? I said the blessing of God. Some may be financial, but you are trying to argue points that I have not made. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/19 12:31 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Who said anything about meriting "financial blessing"? I said the blessing of God. Some may be financial, but you are trying to argue points that I have not made.

Okay, fair enough. We may be talking past each other as a result of the glorious lack of context internet forums provide. Smile

I'd argue that the blessings of God are all still freely given in Christ, though, right? Isn't that what Ephesians 1-3 is all about? Which of them are earned?

Obedience is the baseline expectation, and deviations from that bring judgment... but every bit of that obedience is enabled and fueled by God's grace.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 12:32 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Jesus paid my tithes.

www.spwc.church
4/30/19 12:51 pm

Post I don't have to tithe roughridercog
I get to.
4/30/19 5:09 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
If y'all spend any more time talking about Christians having to observe the Law, you're going to summon Isa 58:12 back. Think of the children. Laughing Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/19 5:14 pm

Post diakoneo
Seems to me there are spiritual principles in giving that are as concrete as physical principles. I am thinking in particular, "if you sow sparingly, you will reap sparingly". It is not a matter, then of what God WILL bless but what He has already blessed! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/30/19 7:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic