Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do we pay athletes and actors so much?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why do we pay athletes and actors so much? Aaron Scott
I've been thinking that these fields distract us from real life, offer momentary escape, feed some part of us. It's as though we value this "relief" so highly against all that we have to deal with in the world, that we place a higher value on those things. Does that make any sense? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/17/19 10:13 pm

Post Re: Why do we pay athletes and actors so much? Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
I've been thinking that these fields distract us from real life, offer momentary escape, feed some part of us. It's as though we value this "relief" so highly against all that we have to deal with in the world, that we place a higher value on those things. Does that make any sense?

I've often pondered the same question. Bread and circuses?
4/18/19 5:22 am

Post Eddie Robbins
They create profit for their owners. Acts-pert Poster
4/18/19 11:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
They create a product that people are willing to pay for. Why people are willing to pay the amount they pay for that product is a fair question, but as far as their salaries go, that's just capitalism and freedom in action. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/18/19 11:55 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
They create a product that people are willing to pay for. Why people are willing to pay the amount they pay for that product is a fair question, but as far as their salaries go, that's just capitalism and freedom in action.

Yeah, I never understand this question coming from people who presumably understand capitalism and probably took economics 101 in high-school AND college.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/19/19 10:01 am

Post When you think about it... Aaron Scott
People do not become wealthy because of how hard they work. A ditch-digger tends to work a WHOLE LOT HARDER than a CEO.

People become wealthy because of the "problems" they solve for people. A doctor is highly paid because he/she helps us with our health, upon which we place a high value (even while not living in a way that promotes good health).

But somewhere on that list of the highly-paid, actors, celebrities, and athletes are apparently solving some key "problems" for us. I have often thought that a good comedian might not fully grasp how valuable he is in a world that can be filled with tears. But this entertainment group is considered valuable to us because, without them, we would likely have some sort of problem that we would have trouble solving. It might be nothing more than solving the problem of boredom. Or just getting our minds distracted from the cares of life. But as someone indicated, in our capitalistic society, we pay more for those things we need or value more.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/19 1:21 pm

Post Cojak
Some people get ahead because of how hard they work, but are also a little smarter than the average bear. They also do not mind some 'challenge' or gamble.

My BIL worked in the cotton mills of NC. He gambled with the UNION to organize his mill, and lost. The owner closed the mill. My BIL became an electrician working for the 'man'.

His partner left 'the man' and started his own company. Mortgaged his home to finance his 'venture'. He became successful and later a millionaire. BIL Sonny could never get over that. Every time we passed that guy's mansion he had to say, "He used to work with me!"

I always asked him the same thing, "Are you willing to bet your home, car and equipment? Remember if he went broke his workers would just find another job, he would have to start over from scratch."

I knew that from experience. But Sonny needed that weekly pay check, that security. He was s good electrician, made a lot of money on the side, but was always afraid to launch out. Not every worker has 'it' to be on his own. (So they will never, never be rich. they will make a good living, but wealth is not in the cards for a 'worker'. to become independent, one must have employees, and handle the problems that accompany that.)

The same is true about pastors, not everyone could pastor a mega church. Not every pastor wants to. That said, once in Bible School under George Voohis, on break, I heard one young pastor say, "Anyone could have a church like Loran, if they let the members do what they wanted to do."
I was very young at the time but smiled inside, Dude, you do not understand. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/19/19 10:47 pm

Post Cojak
After all that I said before, I cannot understand (since I could not care less about sports or movies) Why an actor or sports star can earn more than a talented Brain surgeon or Scientist. It makes NO SENSE to me either.

I think of the 'no brains' statements of the 'heroes of the Games of the Romans' who would state loudly for the Emperor, "We that are about to die, salute you!"

Now it is If you pay me enough I will 'entertain you.'

Anyway that is also very confusing to me. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/19/19 10:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic