Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is it just me or do pastors often leave after a church building project?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is it just me or do pastors often leave after a church building project? Aaron Scott
I had a pastor who had completed a significant building project (I can't recall, but it might have been an entirely new facility), and then left.

I don't at all think he did this to run from any debt (assuming there was any).

I've known of others who seem to also follow this pattern. It has made me wonder if a pastor's fuel is so spent after a building project that he feels he can't go on.

Anyone have any insight into this? (NOTE: It may not be as common as I think it is, but you would think that a successful building project would cause a pastor to want to stay to bask in the success, but apparently not.)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/3/19 12:49 pm

Post Re: Is it just me or do pastors often leave after a church building project? Travis Johnson
Aaron Scott wrote:
I had a pastor who had completed a significant building project (I can't recall, but it might have been an entirely new facility), and then left.

I don't at all think he did this to run from any debt (assuming there was any).

I've known of others who seem to also follow this pattern. It has made me wonder if a pastor's fuel is so spent after a building project that he feels he can't go on.

Anyone have any insight into this? (NOTE: It may not be as common as I think it is, but you would think that a successful building project would cause a pastor to want to stay to bask in the success, but apparently not.)

Getting a building out of the ground or doing a building project is a massive energy and emotional expenditure on every level.

I've done three.

Each one was different.

1. The first one at Life Pointe was physically and emotionally challenging and wonderful. The day after our Grand Opening, we grabbed vacation and disappeared. Zoning issues. Funding issues. Construction issues. And, pastoring and leading people in that environment. It was invigorating and exhausting at the same time. I didn't realize the emotional drain until it was done.

2. The second one at Life Pointe, we got the property through a foreclosure process. That process was a 12 month process before the sale and construction process began (another year). We finished with about $500+ left in the bank. And, we still had some work to do on HVAC systems, roofs, etc... About 9 months later, we paid off all debt.

3. The third was at Pathway when we opened a campus. We renovated, added parking lots and acreage.

In all cases, there was a lot of work. The work was different each time.

I do think pastors are more prone to leave after a building is done. It may happen because they're tired. It may happen because of debt. It may happen because a lot of leadership capital is expended to complete the building.

Another thing is that there were a few times, Kelly and I had an opportunity to leave Life Pointe to go somewhere else. But, because we were in the middle of some sort of initiative (construction, a portable church environment), we were not in the place to consider leaving. We were fully vested in the church, the vision, and the moment.

So, when we were out of the construction phase and the necessary push for such a venture, we were able to breathe enough to consider such a tug. Ultimately, when we left Life Pointe, we left at the moment that attendance, giving, cash flow, influence was at its peak. And, when the door opened for us to go to a place that felt custom made for our moment and our lives, it seemed very good to us that that would be an ideal time to make a handoff to someone else.

We were able to leave at a time where someone else would have the best opportunity to advance and do well, a non-stressed environment with the winds of favor blowing in a good direction.

We felt that the Lord was leading us. And, we were able to make that move with a clear heart and mind.

Perhaps, there were other times, we could have done something like that. But, having the building completed and in a good spot, the barriers for such a move were reduced to the point that it was more possible..and that my heart felt like it was aligned and in a good place for all involved.
Acts-dicted
4/3/19 1:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic