Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

You Are A State Overseer - What COG Preachers Are You Inviting To Preach Campmeeting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post You Are A State Overseer - What COG Preachers Are You Inviting To Preach Campmeeting? MrSippi
Ok. In light of the Jim Raley post, I want to ask this question. You are a Church of God state overseer and you can only invite Church of God preachers to preach your campmeeting. Campmeeting is Monday - Friday with 5 mornings and 5 evenings. You have to bring someone different for each service. Who are you inviting that will create a great campmeeting line-up? Friendly Face
3/17/19 12:28 am

Post Da Sheik
I would invite some guys you’ve never heard of. Men who are “unknown” and yet well-known by God. I’m not fond of the “name game “. Acts Enthusiast
3/17/19 7:11 am

Post The way it currently works MI6

Last edited by MI6 on 3/17/19 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
3/17/19 9:42 am

Post Re: You Are A State Overseer - What COG Preachers Are You Inviting To Preach Campmeeting? Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Ok. In light of the Jim Raley post, I want to ask this question. You are a Church of God state overseer and you can only invite Church of God preachers to preach your campmeeting. Campmeeting is Monday - Friday with 5 mornings and 5 evenings. You have to bring someone different for each service. Who are you inviting that will create a great campmeeting line-up?

Is this addressed to Oklahoma? OK?

Last edited by Eddie Robbins on 3/17/19 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
3/17/19 11:12 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Rick Warren, Jerry Falwell Jr, Phil Robertson, Max Lucado, Andy Stanley, Tim Tebow, and TobyMac. Also Travis Johnson.

Just kidding, I'd invite Travis Johnson and then go with Da Sheik's plan for the rest of the sessions.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/17/19 11:42 am

Post A couple of thoughts.... Aaron Scott
First, it used to be that we had the same night speaker for the entire campmeeting. Where'd that go? Is it an attempt to "spread the wealth"--allow more men to get some face-time with an audience and develop name recognition?

Second, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Cleveland has a way of telegraphing just who they really want on the campmeeting circuit. They might not care who an overseer has otherhwise...so long as Bro. X is prominently placed on the program.

Third, as much as I would like to choose "unknowns" for every night of the week, overseers have to also weigh "drawing power." There are some folks that would come to campmeeting if the devil was on the program--or even worse, Tom Sterbens or NBF.

And some would NOT come even if the Apostle Peter was was going to be there.

But when you triage the Church of God members in the state, there are some who WILL come if you have someone they know or what have you. So you bring in some ministers that are among the better known in the Church of God. Tim Hill, Mark Williams, Loran Livingston, Raymond Culpepper, etc.

And besides this, there's a good reason for well knowns: they usually have a proven track record of being able to preach effectively at campmeeting. Some of the best preachers in the Church of God are incredible in a church of 200 or less...but would be out of their depth at a campmeeting. And, on the other hand, Mark Williams shines in front of large audiences...and he would probably shine in front of 40 folks too...but he might also not make quite the same impact, who knows?

I do recall the (or one of the) first time Jentzen Franklin preached at the Florida Campmeeting. He preached a day service, if I recall correctly. But his sax playing in the evening service had been so anointed that it drew people...and he did not disappoint.

You can "sprinkle" lesser knowns through the program, so long as you have enough of the big guns to carry the thing.

But what I wouildn't give to hear a 1972 Paul Henson campmeeting...or Paul L. Walker...or C.R. Spain...or Ronald Brock...or Lamar Vest...on and on and on. And OF COURSE Ray H. Hughes and T.L. Lowery (as at the 1990 Western NC Campmeeting).
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/17/19 2:13 pm

Post Campmeeting MI6
Steve Brock and the Gather Vocal Band would alternate singing.

Ray Hughes - Monday Night
Ronny Brock - Tuesday Night
Lamar Vest - Mission Service
Loran Livingston - Thursday Night
TL Lowery - Friday Night Miracle Service
Junus Fulbright - Saturday Night Youth Service

Paul Walker - Morning Bible Teacher

That was Then - This is Now...
Friendly Face
3/17/19 4:00 pm

Post Re: You Are A State Overseer - What COG Preachers Are You Inviting To Preach Campmeeting? Nature Boy Florida
MrSippi wrote:
Ok. In light of the Jim Raley post, I want to ask this question. You are a Church of God state overseer and you can only invite Church of God preachers to preach your campmeeting. Campmeeting is Monday - Friday with 5 mornings and 5 evenings. You have to bring someone different for each service. Who are you inviting that will create a great campmeeting line-up?

Who says you have to have a different guy each service.
3/18/19 7:18 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I have posted in years past that, in most places, campmeeting, as we knew it, is a thing of the past. I loved the old campmeeting at the tabernacle in Doraville, Georgia. That day is long gone.

I have so many memories. A favorite was the power going out while Paul Walker was preaching and he stopped for a bit waiting to see if it would come back on and Sis Mae Terry stood up and started preaching. Of course, the train would always go by right in the middle of sermons. 4th of July fireworks in the background. Snow cones. Big water fountain out front that ice had to be brought in to keep it cold. Hot and I mean HOT and everybody is dressed up. Funeral fans waving. Long altar services. I used to play trumpet in the band and always enjoyed the altar services. Looking for that girl to see if we could go out after church. Seeing all my friends from youth camp. One day during campmeeting, a lot of us would go to Six Flags and act the fool. But, we got saved afterwards.....again.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. It was life for us.
Acts-pert Poster
3/18/19 7:54 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I got an idea.

Five campmeetings run concurrently.

Each campmeeting can have one service live each week (and the singing live) - and the rest of them get a feed from that service as they rotate.

The best of the best COG preachers preach - (and/or teach in the mornings).

The best each of those 5 states have to offer singing and worship leading can be fit in their one night.

Or one state can do it all - and 4 (or 40) lesser states can get the feed each night.

Travel expenses cut.
4 services only need the AC / Lights cut on each night.
Those feeds can go the rest of the COG homes also via some delivery service - perhaps Daystar would assist with televising.

Then - actual members can be a part of campmeetings again instead of only preachers.

No need for outside helpers preaching.

Win-win for everyone.
3/18/19 8:57 am

Post Re: Campmeeting Carolyn Smith
MI6 wrote:

This post made me think of a Charlotte NC Campmeeting I attended when I was 16 or 17 years old (think late 70s.) The Sammy Hall Singers were ministering that night, and he gave his testimony. To this day, it is the only service I remember watching young people not just flood the altar but literally RUN to the altar to get saved. It was amazing. I will never forget it.

Junus Fulbright was the first minister to encourage my husband to follow God's call into the ministry.
3/18/19 10:23 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Sammy Hall came to Georgia several times too. Same results. Redemption Draweth Nigh would fill an altar. Smile Acts-pert Poster
3/19/19 7:39 am

Post Carolyn.... Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:
MI6 wrote:

The Gaithers (Michael English was with them at the time) came to the Florida Camp Meeting a number of years back. Unfortunately, as incredibly gifted as they are, it feel flat.

English was raised Pentecostal, and no one can deny the anointing on the Gaithers, but when it comes to CAMP MEETING, only those who can absolutely "bring it" for that type of service should be on the program.

Steve Brock preached Camp Meeting one year. He's a very good speaker, but his singing is off the charts. It felt like EVERY SONG he performed got closed off early--he could easily have sang it again and again and again, and probably not preached a single night of the Camp Meeting.

I imagine that he has learned that, indeed, if he doesn't close it out (going no further than the sound track), he will never preach. For that matter, it might hinder CD sales. I don't at all hold that against him. I just know that at CAMP MEETING, we like ANYTHING that is anointed and powerful. If I were Steve Brock, yeah, I'd just sing, since as good of a preacher as he is, he is an even better singer (and by better, he's not only a technically great singer, he is surely one of the most anointed singers anywhere).

This post made me think of a Charlotte NC Campmeeting I attended when I was 16 or 17 years old (think late 70s.) The Sammy Hall Singers were ministering that night, and he gave his testimony. To this day, it is the only service I remember watching young people not just flood the altar but literally RUN to the altar to get saved. It was amazing. I will never forget it.

Junus Fulbright was the first minister to encourage my husband to follow God's call into the ministry.
3/19/19 11:57 am

Post Sammy Hall Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Sammy Hall came to Georgia several times too. Same results. Redemption Draweth Nigh would fill an altar. Smile

I still remember seeing the Sammy Hall Trio bus outside of the Wimauma Tabernacle.

My dad, from the sticks of east Tennessee and as southern gospel as you could get, I suppose, liked them so much he bought an album or two. (I guess they were somewhat SG, but seemed a bit more on the edge, I suppose.)

I sure like them.
3/19/19 12:42 pm

Post Re: Sammy Hall Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Sammy Hall came to Georgia several times too. Same results. Redemption Draweth Nigh would fill an altar. Smile

I still remember seeing the Sammy Hall Trio bus outside of the Wimauma Tabernacle.

My dad, from the sticks of east Tennessee and as southern gospel as you could get, I suppose, liked them so much he bought an album or two. (I guess they were somewhat SG, but seemed a bit more on the edge, I suppose.)

I sure like them.

I gave a couple of my Sammy Hall albums to Tim Hill. He is a collector of Gospel albums.
Acts-pert Poster
3/19/19 3:17 pm

Post Re: Sammy Hall Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I sure like them.

I gave a couple of my Sammy Hall albums to Tim Hill. He is a collector of Gospel albums.

Now I Have Everything.

I heard Sammy sing it - liked it.

Then I heard the "talent" at our church sing it seemingly every service for years - learned to hate it. Somehow they felt like the "harmony" did not have to be on key. I can still hear it.
3/19/19 3:44 pm

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I have posted in years past that, in most places, campmeeting, as we knew it, is a thing of the past. I loved the old campmeeting at the tabernacle in Doraville, Georgia. That day is long gone.

I have so many memories. A favorite was the power going out while Paul Walker was preaching and he stopped for a bit waiting to see if it would come back on and Sis Mae Terry stood up and started preaching. Of course, the train would always go by right in the middle of sermons. 4th of July fireworks in the background. Snow cones. Big water fountain out front that ice had to be brought in to keep it cold. Hot and I mean HOT and everybody is dressed up. Funeral fans waving. Long altar services. I used to play trumpet in the band and always enjoyed the altar services. Looking for that girl to see if we could go out after church. Seeing all my friends from youth camp. One day during campmeeting, a lot of us would go to Six Flags and act the fool. But, we got saved afterwards.....again.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. It was life for us.

Some of what you describe is still alive in a little different way. A few years ago, I was able to be in several Campmeetings here is what I observed:

Alabama- Jam Packed
Tennessee- Jam Packed
South Carolina- Jam Packed and still on the campground.
Florida- Pretty full and still on campground
North Georgia- Shoot it. It is dead.
South Georgia- Jam Packed
Mississippi- Jam Packed
Friendly Face
3/19/19 4:52 pm

Post Re: A couple of thoughts.... 2ndgeneration
Aaron Scott wrote:

Second, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Cleveland has a way of telegraphing just who they really want on the campmeeting circuit. They might not care who an overseer has otherhwise...so long as Bro. X is prominently placed on the program.

I have served as an overseer now for seven years and I have never had anyone from Cleveland even hint a suggestion of who we should have speak in Campmeeting. We are assigned a representative from the Executive Committee to attend our Campmeeting and we usually have them to speak. Other than that, no.
Acts Enthusiast
5/27/19 9:34 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
My childhood pastor was Sammy Hall's uncle, and they came to our church several times when I was a kid. His testimony, as well as his music, drew people to the Lord.

Sammy Hall passed away a few years ago, but I understand his albums are available now on CD. Just think...a couple of generations who have never heard that music. Smile

Jentezen Franklin preached at ENC Campmeeting last year. I was in the hospital but watched via Facebook. It was so good. He gave his testimony about being called to preach in that very place (Kenly) and the confirmation God gave him through his mom when he got home past midnight that night. He seemed very humbled to be asked to preach there and share what the Lord put on his heart. He was supposed to sign autographs for his new book afterwards but declined. He just wanted to mingle among the people and pray for them.

Jason Crabb is on the program this year...always worth seeing! IMHO, he is about as genuine as they come.

That said...Campmeeting doesn't seem to be set up for working people anymore. If you want the members to come, give them time to get to the service! Most of us live down the road a piece and can't take the week off to attend. But the last couple years I have watched via Facebook when I could. I wasn't familiar with the other speaker (Tolle, I think?) He's also an accomplished artist, but I enjoyed his sermon also.
5/27/19 9:56 pm

Post I would use the five longest term pastors in the state roughridercog
No matter what their church size or age
5/28/19 7:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic