Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Altar Calls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Altar Calls Carolyn Smith
Are altar calls passe or a thing of the past? I posted the following elsewhere and was surprised at the response. Would be interested to hear your thoughts...

I went to an Encounter Tour with Lysa Terkeurst meeting this week, and it was a great service. (We had free tickets but the cost was $33.) They had praise & worship at the beginning & end and in between segments. They had a sermon early on with Levi Lusko and another segment with a lady that promoted Compassion International. Lysa's sermon was really good. But I was astounded that there was no altar call at the end - of any kind! No salvation appeal, no come forward if you're struggling with this...it ended with a worship song and "keep this in your heart as you go..." The service was in a local charismatic church, around 3000 people. Well planned & executed...this just blew my mind. Do other churches operate this way? My daughter & I were kind of like, "What's the point?"
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/18/19 12:35 am

Post No Altar Calls in the Bible FG Minister
They are an invention of American evangelists. That doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means there is no Biblical requirement to offer one. Acts-celerater
2/18/19 7:30 am

Post Preaching the Gospel forces a decision roughridercog
To accept or reject.

"Men and brethren, what can we do?"
2/18/19 9:18 am

Post UncleJD
I attend one of the largest churches in my city and they have an invitation every Sunday for both salvation and for special needs or prayer. There is an entire team that prepares for this every week, and they are tasked with follow-up prayer and ministry. It may be "passe" in some circles, but not in all. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/18/19 10:10 am

Post many moons ago, maqqebet
when I had to "try out," after the message a time of Q & A followed and I was asked the following, "Do you give altar calls?"

I responded, no, I didn't but the Holy Spirit does. I continued by stating that no amount of manipulation, cajoling, and/or emotional appeal to get a response can replace, nor should replace, the work of the Holy Spirit.

They were satisfied and voted to accept me as pastor.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
2/18/19 10:14 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
UncleJD wrote:
I attend one of the largest churches in my city and they have an invitation every Sunday for both salvation and for special needs or prayer. There is an entire team that prepares for this every week, and they are tasked with follow-up prayer and ministry. It may be "passe" in some circles, but not in all.

I attend a rather large church (independent) and we have an altar call each service for salvation, healing or whatever. That is what it is all about - getting people saved, delivered and filled with the Holy Ghost. We have elders and prayer warriors who are up front waiting on people to help them along with the Pastor and associates.
Friendly Face
2/18/19 10:25 am

Post Re: many moons ago, UncleJD
maqqebet wrote:
when I had to "try out," after the message a time of Q & A followed and I was asked the following, "Do you give altar calls?"

I responded, no, I didn't but the Holy Spirit does. I continued by stating that no amount of manipulation, cajoling, and/or emotional appeal to get a response can replace, nor should replace, the work of the Holy Spirit.

Can you elaborate on this process, how it would usually go? Do you mean you don't give an invitation and leave it up to the Holy Spirit to get people to spontaneously move to the front, or do you mean you give an invitation and let the Holy Spirit be the one to move them (which I believe would be the normal process for most pastors)? Or something else entirely?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/18/19 10:47 am

Post Re: many moons ago, Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
Can you elaborate on this process, how it would usually go? Do you mean you don't give an invitation and leave it up to the Holy Spirit to get people to spontaneously move to the front, or do you mean you give an invitation and let the Holy Spirit be the one to move them (which I believe would be the normal process for most pastors)? Or something else entirely?

Not maqqebet obviously, but I started going to a more reformedish church a year and a half ago and they approach salvation the same way. They passionately preach the gospel, talk about trusting in believing in Christ for salvation, and then after every message there's an opportunity to sing in response to the word, and then they give the benediction and dismiss. Usually during the benediction they'll let people know that some of the pastors will be at the front if they have any questions about Jesus, etc.

This took a little to get used to, as I have attended "altar call" churches my whole life, but I honestly think it is a much more effective approach. The decision to believe in Christ is not an emotionally charged decision made in the moment -- it's a considered decision, made by someone who has counted the cost, perhaps over weeks or even months. And in my personal opinion, that results in stronger disciples and many fewer false conversions.

I understand the concern that someone may die and face their eternal fate somewhere over the course of those weeks or months, but God is sovereign, and if He is working in someone's heart to save them, I think we owe Him the trust that He will sustain their life in the meantime. On top of that, what good does it do if we, out of fear, push them psychologically to make an emotional decision to come to an altar, if that doesn't result in genuine conversion? If they die over the course of those weeks or months, their fate will be the same.

My church does give altar calls from time to time for particular needs as the Spirit leads, but this is almost always oriented toward supplication for believers. At other times the pastors will ask people who are facing a particular need the Holy Spirit has highlighted to stand, so others in the congregation can gather around them to pray. I really like this approach as well, as it emphasizes the reality of the priesthood of the believers.

And as to maqqebet's comment that the Holy Spirit gives altar calls, I have to agree. Sometimes people will be overcome and give their lives to Christ the first time they hear the gospel at our church. Others will answer that call over a period of time, and others not at all. But at the end of the day, He is at work to seek and to save that which was lost, and I have come believe our only useful part in that is ceaselessly proclaiming the gospel of salvation and living the law of love toward all, both believers and unbelievers.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/18/19 11:04 am

Post The evolution of the altar call.... Aaron Scott
I don't know just how it started, but it has been dramatically effective. I did not get saved in an altar (I was saved at the pew), but so many HAVE been saved that way that it cannot be discounted as an instrumental part of the (at least) American evangelicalism.

At some point, there was a slow move from the traditional altar call...to just coming forward and standing around the front. The pastor might walk through the people praying for them, or it might simply be the people stood and prayed. Nothing wrong with that...except I think that this "come to the front" thing likely began when pastors would give the altar call, no one would come forward, so an general call the front took place. It might have also been a way of making it easier for people to come forward that would not have come forward otherwise.

Along with coming forward, pastors began to do the Sinner's Prayer thing. Used to be, when people came forward, it was organic/authentic in the way they reached out to God--and utterly effective. I have seen people come to the altar, needing to pray through, and someone waste the moment by spending the entire time talking to that person. (In a Baptist Church I visited, it was an exceptional service, and people came forward, weeping, to be saved. But upon kneeling, immediately a deacon/deaconess(?) would get them to stop praying while he/she showed them scripture after scripture. It was a largely wasted effort, as the chance for true connection to God passed by.

Even at Camp Meeting (I'm speaking of Wimauma, Florida, as I know precious little about the others), it used to be that after a service, the altars would be in use for HOURS, often until the wee hours of the morning, as people continued to pray. Today, we usually walk forward and pray (some may kneel on the steps of the platform). It's just went that way for some reason. Still great services, but no altar call, for the most part.

In my own church, the people had gotten out of the habit of going to the altar. Also, I am a very poor hand at giving an altar call. For a while, we'd do the whole "come to front and stand and pray" thing. But I finally told my congregation that I am going to be in the altar every service. If no one joins me, fine. But I'm praying. And I do. And they join me.

After altar time, I usually ask if anyone wants special prayer, to which 10 or so of the neighborhood children respond most of the time. I don't know what they want, but they must want something of the Lord, and HE DOES KNOW. Also, their parents--most of whom are not saved--will sometimes accompany them.

I don't know if the altar call is like the tent revival or not (i.e., a thing whose time has about gone), or if the fault is ours. But all I know to do is to keep doing it since it was so effective for millions of folks. Even though I didn't get saved at the altar, I received many tremendous blessings there. I want others to have the same opportunity.
2/18/19 12:01 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I say do what you feel is right for you and your church and don’t criticize other churches for the way they do church, especially when there is no scripture basis for your issue with them. Acts-pert Poster
2/18/19 1:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I say do what you feel is right for you and your church and don’t criticize other churches for the way they do church, especially when there is no scripture basis for your issue with them.

I agree that each church has to do what is right for them. I totally get that. I understand that what works at one church may not work at another, and we each have to find our way of doing things.

I just don't understand how people are ministered to. Probably because I am the leader of the prayer ministry at our church, it stands out to me. The whole point of going to church is to draw closer to God, to be encouraged, and to gain strength in Him, to learn more about Him, and to experience His presence. Or to receive salvation if you don't know the Lord. I just don't understand how that happens without altar ministry and prayer.

My point wasn't really to criticize them. I just don't get it. Honestly, I've never seen it done like this before.
2/18/19 9:53 pm

Post Preacher777
I believe the scripture clearly points out that when the truth of God's Word was shared the greatest signs and wonders were people repenting from sin and putting faith in Christ. I am not referring to the modern day repeat after me sinners prayer mode which we do not find in scripture or the early New Testament church.

Last edited by Preacher777 on 2/19/19 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
2/19/19 7:37 am

Post Re: many moons ago, maqqebet
UncleJD wrote:
maqqebet wrote:

At the age of 9 while attending a revival in the Methodist Church, I couldn't tell you the substance of the message that night, but when the altar call was given, I went down, prayed for forgiveness. That was in 1961.

In 1975 while attending service in the Church of God, I can't recall the message the pastor preached, could hardly wait for him to give the altar call, and based not upon his message, but the wooing of the Holy Spirit I went to the altar and "prayed through to the Holy Ghost."

So, in part my experience influences my position.

I know of a preacher, who at the instruction of his mentor, went to service, gave the altar call with limited response. So, taking the advice given he announced everyone wearing black shoes should come to the altar for prayer, and this was followed by an invitation for everyone wearing brown shoes.

He reported they had a great response (and by great I'm referring to the usual highly charged emotional experience), and I just shook my head.

I have found times when I knew someone should come to pray but refused, and then experienced times when someone unexpectedly ran to the altar. In my heart the former would not yield to the Spirit's drawing, even after given ample time and opportunity but resisted. The other resulted in a jubilant time around the altar, especially as I wondered at the grace and mercy of God.

Don't know if that answers your question.
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
2/19/19 7:38 am

Post diakoneo
Altars have not always been around in evangelical churches. From what I have read, they started in Methodist churches because the preachers wanted to see the results of what they were doing. It seems it started out as the mourner's bench. It is encouraging as a minister to see men, women and children in the altar, I think at times we have placed too much emphasis on "seeing results".

Let's face it, some people are better at getting people to the altar! In a sense they are gifted salesmen. But reality is only the Holy Spirit can woo a heart, change a mind...make a real difference. Many times when I was pastoring I became frustrated because of lack of altar redults. I felt like it was something I was doing or not doing. In retrospect, I was way too hard on myself in this and other areas. I should have lightened up and not tried to do the Holy Spirit's job! After all, if our only encouragement is in seeing what we have done, it is bound to be short lived and just as in other flesh endeavors...never enough.

I have seen many great and good things in the altar. I have seen many bad and ugly things also. God uses altars! He has spoken to my heart so clearly there. But just as other things we have introduced into our assemblies...pulpits and pews...they also can be abused
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/19/19 9:09 am

Post SCFIRE
We do altar calls. Sometimes it's during worship when the time is right and we have major results and if that does happen we usually don't do another one at the end, but 99 times out of 100 we do some sort of an Altar service to offer prayer and ministry. We have ministry available to work with those that come down. But with the outreach ministry that we have we have at least one new person every Sunday and it's been that way for over 8 months. We've had approximately 20 saved so far this year (not counting outreaches) and 31 have received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. If we cook the food (preach) then we set the table and feed (minister to the needs outlined in the message) plus Salvation & Baptism in the Holy Ghost.
This is what works for us - I do believe there are different methods for different areas but this works here.
2/20/19 8:53 am

Post Da Sheik
diakoneo wrote:

Let's face it, some people are better at getting people to the altar! In a sense they are gifted salesmen. But reality is only the Holy Spirit can woo a heart, change a mind...make a real difference. Many times when I was pastoring I became frustrated because of lack of altar results. I felt like it was something I was doing or not doing. In retrospect, I was way too hard on myself in this and other areas. I should have lightened up and not tried to do the Holy Spirit's job! After all, if our only encouragement is in seeing what we have done, it is bound to be short lived and just as in other flesh endeavors...never enough.

Well said. I have a dear friend who stays discouraged because he feels he is not "good" at altar calls. We do altar calls every Sunday morning in our services but typically we do not in evening services.
Acts Enthusiast
2/20/19 12:16 pm

Post What is the first record... roughridercog
Of the altar call being adopted as standard practice?
2/20/19 5:08 pm

Post Re: What is the first record... Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:
Of the altar call being adopted as standard practice?

According to this, they started becoming increasingly common throughout the 19th century but weren't referred to as "altar calls" until into the 20th century.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/evangelical-history/a-brief-history-of-the-altar-call/
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/20/19 7:17 pm

Post Re: No Altar Calls in the Bible Carolyn Smith
FG Minister wrote:
They are an invention of American evangelists. That doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means there is no Biblical requirement to offer one.

Neither is praise and worship, playing instruments in church, door-to-door witnessing, or a myriad of other things the modern church does today.

I'm not saying altar calls should be forced or only practiced because it's the tradition of having one. But it seems to me that the culmination of the message is to minister to people one-on-one, whether it is for salvation, healing, encouragement, or whatever a person needs. Whether or not you have an altar call should be up to the person ministering and whatever leading they feel. Definitely, it should be led by the Holy Spirit, since He is who draws us.
2/21/19 12:02 pm

Post Re: No Altar Calls in the Bible FLRon
Carolyn Smith wrote:
FG Minister wrote:
They are an invention of American evangelists. That doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means there is no Biblical requirement to offer one.

Neither is praise and worship, playing instruments in church, door-to-door witnessing, or a myriad of other things the modern church does today.

I'm not saying altar calls should be forced or only practiced because it's the tradition of having one. But it seems to me that the culmination of the message is to minister to people one-on-one, whether it is for salvation, healing, encouragement, or whatever a person needs. Whether or not you have an altar call should be up to the person ministering and whatever leading they feel. Definitely, it should be led by the Holy Spirit, since He is who draws us.

You make some excellent points Carolyn. When I preach I try very hard to discern what the Spirit is wanting to do at the close of my message. Most times I give an altar call,but not always. Some times if I don't feel led to give the altar call I will turn the service over to the Pastor,in which case we would have discussed this prior to the service so he is not caught off guard. It may be a situation where the congregation is more comfortable having their Pastor pray with them vs.a stranger,and I have no problem with that.
Pretty sure most of us have had to endure the "endless altar call" where no one responds yet the preacher won't quit until that one comes forward. I prefer to let God lead and for me to get out of His way.
2/21/19 4:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic