Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Thanks Be to His Goodness, He is a GOOD Father!

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Thanks Be to His Goodness, He is a GOOD Father! Cojak
I have read, “The overseer lied to me.”
In a case like that, there is someone not telling the truth. Either the pastor or the overseer. But if we are the ones misrepresenting the truth, we can spin it to our convenience, but can you ‘spin’ a sin? I get confused here in my old age.

I was in a car in the 1950s with my sister’s as they casually talked about ‘trimming the split ends off mama’s hair.’ I knew from childhood that ‘women cutting their hair was a SIN.’ I got all worked up, “You are trying to send mama to hell and joking about it!”

I know to some that sounds completely silly, and it was. BUT that is the COG I was raised in. I am glad to see some 'common sense' added to our beliefs of a sin free life. I depend a lot on God's 'Fatherhood' and the belief that he understands my frailties. Now that my sons are grown, I am glad I did not disown them when they turned to a life of drugs and the wild side. They both are now doing well and have climbed out of a life of drugs to become good fathers. I love it when I see their children admiring them. I am so glad the kids did not see their dads when they were at the bottom.

I am most glad that in the autumn of my life that HE was an understanding father to me and still is. I may not always be right, but I hope I never reject that love again. God is good and knows the thoughts and intents. I love HIM!
As always, thanks to all the contributors here. Many of you have taught me a lot.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/22/19 6:57 pm

Post Re: Thanks Be to His Goodness, He is a GOOD Father! Mat
Cojak wrote:
In a case like that, there is someone not telling the truth. Either the pastor or the overseer. But if we are the ones misrepresenting the truth, we can spin it to our convenience, but can you ‘spin’ a sin? I get confused here in my old age.

I was in a car in the 1950s with my sister’s as they casually talked about ‘trimming the split ends off mama’s hair.’ I knew from childhood that ‘women cutting their hair was a SIN.’ I got all worked up, “You are trying to send mama to hell and joking about it!”

I know to some that sounds completely silly, and it was. BUT that is the COG I was raised in. I am glad to see some 'common sense' added to our beliefs of a sin free life. I depend a lot on God's 'Fatherhood' and the belief that he understands my frailties. Now that my sons are grown, I am glad I did not disown them when they turned to a life of drugs and the wild side. They both are now doing well and have climbed out of a life of drugs to become good fathers. I love it when I see their children admiring them. I am so glad the kids did not see their dads when they were at the bottom.

I am most glad that in the autumn of my life that HE was an understanding father to me and still is. I may not always be right, but I hope I never reject that love again. God is good and knows the thoughts and intents. I love HIM!
As always, thanks to all the contributors here. Many of you have taught me a lot.

Was it a teaching of the COG that women not cut their hair? I remember reading COGOP assembly minutes from the 1950s, where women's hair was debated, but the conclusion was, "we have no such custom" in the church (and we thought we were the church, now we teach nobody/everybody is) Now that did not stop some preachers from preaching women not cutting their hair and not wearing pants (which was not a teaching as well). I can not understand how the COG, which generally was not as extreme as the COGOP on many issues, was so vocal on women not cutting their hair.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/23/19 7:36 am

Post Re: Thanks Be to His Goodness, He is a GOOD Father! Dean Steenburgh
Cojak wrote:

This is by far one of the very best posts I have ever read on Acts!
Thx Cojak for your transparency!

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/23/19 5:00 pm

Post Re: Thanks Be to His Goodness, He is a GOOD Father! Cojak
Mat wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Was it a teaching of the COG that women not cut their hair? I remember reading COGOP assembly minutes from the 1950s, where women's hair was debated, but the conclusion was, "we have no such custom" in the church (and we thought we were the church, now we teach nobody/everybody is) Now that did not stop some preachers from preaching women not cutting their hair and not wearing pants (which was not a teaching as well). I can not understand how the COG, which generally was not as extreme as the COGOP on many issues, was so vocal on women not cutting their hair.

Mat
'
Mat (if that is you Wink ) I did of course have every 'book of minutes' for years 55-80 but they are now History in my 'stuff'.

I am not sure if it was a teaching, but I sure thought so.

Unrelated, but I do know we taught against buying into cotton futures, stocks and bonds that some folk question me on. LOL
But to be honest I am not sure about the hair. Wink if it remained an actual 'teaching/'
3/23/19 11:19 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Quote:

Mat

As far back as my mind will allow me I can remember my dad, uncles, grandparents & even my great grandpa all taught that women were to have long hair as it was their "crowning beauty" & women were not to wear pants of any kind (even when we occasionally went to the snow or our annual camping trip), no jewelry including wedding bands, no makeup, no TV for a few years & the car we drove & house we lived in had to be modest so it didn't appear as though we were trying to out-do the poorest member of our churches.
No doubt in mind about the last part, my folks were dirt poor for many years.
I remember being a young teenager when my dad bought my mom her first wedding band because one of my uncles encouraged him to buy it so that she wouldn't appear single to other men.

My dad always worked while he pastored & it wasn't until they were empty nesters that dad went to a church that offered a full salary & of course a 3,500 sq. foot home to live in (where was that house when us boys were at home?).
I never went to the movies while growing up at home & I never one time was allowed to attend a school dance. TV was monitored so that in case a sensitive word was used the TV was shut off or hopefully just change the channel.
No short pants, no tank tops, no public swimming, no 2 piece bathing suits for the girls, no mixed swimming (or bathing as thy used to call it).

Personally I operated half the time in fear of my dad's wrath & a desire to not have him disappointed with my choices so I didn't pursue beer or girls that would do it hahahaha.
Some of us guys were in to really fast cars & faster motorcycles but God kept His hand on our stupidity when we thought we were daredevils.

It was strict most of the time but it was a good, wholesome raising that my folks provided & all while living here in ultra liberal Calif.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/24/19 11:14 am

Post Cojak
Dean Steenburgh wrote:

As far back as my mind will allow me I can remember my dad, uncles, grandparents & even my great grandpa all taught that women were to have long hair as it was their "crowning beauty" & women were not to wear pants of any kind (even when we occasionally went to the snow or our annual camping trip), no jewelry including wedding bands, no makeup, no TV for a few years & the car we drove & house we lived in had to be modest so it didn't appear as though we were trying to out-do the poorest member of our churches.
No doubt in mind about the last part, my folks were dirt poor for many years.
I remember being a young teenager when my dad bought my mom her first wedding band because one of my uncles encouraged him to buy it so that she wouldn't appear single to other men.

My dad always worked while he pastored & it wasn't until they were empty nesters that dad went to a church that offered a full salary & of course a 3,500 sq. foot home to live in (where was that house when us boys were at home?).
I never went to the movies while growing up at home & I never one time was allowed to attend a school dance. TV was monitored so that in case a sensitive word was used the TV was shut off or hopefully just change the channel.
No short pants, no tank tops, no public swimming, no 2 piece bathing suits for the girls, no mixed swimming (or bathing as thy used to call it).

Personally I operated half the time in fear of my dad's wrath & a desire to not have him disappointed with my choices so I didn't pursue beer or girls that would do it hahahaha.
Some of us guys were in to really fast cars & faster motorcycles but God kept His hand on our stupidity when we thought we were daredevils.

It was strict most of the time but it was a good, wholesome raising that my folks provided & all while living here in ultra liberal Calif.

Thanks for the chance to read that. That was pretty much a description of our lives. I did smile at the 'car and house' statement because dad always drove a Chevy, in 1951 he bought a Buick He drove it for two years and it bothered him every day. He finally traded it for a Nash. LOL Then to a Rambler. Of course I am a little older and mama never had a ring and we never had a TV because if one member was against it it was out! LOL
3/24/19 8:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic