Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

RE: Abortion. Is there a responsibility on we who are Christ-Followers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post RE: Abortion. Is there a responsibility on we who are Christ-Followers? caseyleejones
I am pro-life. Pretty much all pro-life people I know agree the child should come to term....just by definition...

That said, should we as His followers support unwed mothers such as taking them into our home and caring for them? Be willing to take one of those babies born? Be willing to give monthly a chunk of our income to those who are adopting?

People have found it easy to be pro-life, but by being pro-life, should we not sacrifice our resources and time as well?
Acts-perienced Poster
1/27/19 11:21 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Yes, we definitely should. One of the charges the pro-choice crowd makes against pro-lifers is that we only care about babies until they're born. That's obviously pretty unfair, but unfortunately, I don't think it's entirely baseless judging by our actions.

Our church marked Sanctity of Life Sunday with a prayer for the unborn, a prayer for repentance, and all the things that pro-lifers should be doing. But they also highlighted our church's involvement with a local group here in Maryland that works to support mothers who choose life.

Perhaps this is an area where we could apply the words of the Lord -- this we ought to have done, and not left the other undone.

I don't have any idea how to do this. But my prayer is that God would grant wisdom to the church so that it can be done.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/19 1:56 pm

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Yes, we definitely should. One of the charges the pro-choice crowd makes against pro-lifers is that we only care about babies until they're born. That's obviously pretty unfair, ...

Perhaps this is an area where we could apply the words of the Lord -- this we ought to have done, and not left the other undone.

I don't have any idea how to do this. But my prayer is that God would grant wisdom to the church so that it can be done.

Very well stated DD.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/27/19 3:24 pm

Post Cojak
Very good question.
we hear a lot of 'stuff' thrown at the pro life community.

The charges by the liberals have should make us think. It is very obvious at times, we sympathize with the 'unexpectyed pregnancy' BUT, If in your life, just once, YOU have felt you had no where to turn, you may understand what a bill board or just a flyer saying WE WILL HELP YOU, can mean, you may understand!

Sympathy ain't all bad, but when a young girl is kicked out of her home and on the street, she needs more than sympathy.

The question remains, is the Church world actually, really, honestly ready to take care of a an ignorant kid, a young prostitute or an older one for that matter. Sinners that should pay for their sins, by goodness, they shoulda knowd better. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
1/27/19 3:29 pm

Post Precisely....better question...is the church ready to caseyleejones
Cojak wrote:
Very good question.
we hear a lot of 'stuff' thrown at the pro life community.

The charges by the liberals have should make us think. It is very obvious at times, we sympathize with the 'unexpectyed pregnancy' BUT, If in your life, just once, YOU have felt you had no where to turn, you may understand what a bill board or just a flyer saying WE WILL HELP YOU, can mean, you may understand!

Sympathy ain't all bad, but when a young girl is kicked out of her home and on the street, she needs more than sympathy.

The question remains, is the Church world actually, really, honestly ready to take care of a an ignorant kid, a young prostitute or an older one for that matter. Sinners that should pay for their sins, by goodness, they shoulda knowd better. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

take on millions of children a year? We want to be pro-life without counting the cost.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/27/19 3:35 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I suppose there might be some so-called Christians somewhere who don’t care to help single mothers in need, but I’ve never met any personally. I know the churches I have been involved with over the course of my lifetime have often gone out of their way to help anyone they reasonably could. I know of Christian couples who have gladly offered to adopt an unwanted child, but the costs associated were far more than they reasonably could pay.

The pro-baby murder folks just make up absurd and totally baseless accusations against prolifers.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/19 3:36 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Historically, there is no group in human history that has done more to advance the cause of the marginalized, the sick, the orphan or the abanoned than the church. We can always do better. But, Christians as a whole have substantially impacted the cause for life in all stages.

Compassion International
World Vision
Serving Orphans Worldwide
People for Care and Learning
Families and individuals

My parents regularly took people into our home. I know the same is likely true for many of us. This month, we are celebrating the journeys of some of our foster families at Pathway Church. We’ll also be communicating how to foster, how to adopt, or how to get involved in the Neat Profram, a local court-associated Big Brother/Big sister program here in Mobile.

Of course, I’m also celebrating 44 churches in 15 states who have banded together to do BUY A TREE. CHANGE A LIFE. (www.buyatreechangealife.com). We have recently been able to give away over $2 million to help children globally and locally. If your church would like to be a part of that story you can fill out an INTEREST FORM at www.buyatreechangealife.com

Let’s keep speaking out about life. Don’t shrink back from talking about it. Don’t shrink back from doing something about it.
Acts-dicted
1/27/19 4:08 pm

Post Cojak
You must forgive me for not knowing of churches that Truly support efforts to help the girls with unwanted pregnancies on a local basis, but the churches I have attended for any period of time have always taken an offering for "Crisis Pregnancy Ministry."(etc) But that was once or twice a year. Nothing on a consistent basis. I understand there must be huge expense in adoptions, But I have never heard of churches raising money for families to adopt.

I know very well we are sympathetic, I am, but I am just saying it is not something I have noticed being a high priority in local churches. Crying or Very sad
1/27/19 4:25 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
No, I just want to get the bumper sticker, Facebook profile picture and go to the clinics to yell “murderer” to young ladies. That makes me feel like a good Christian. Acts-pert Poster
1/27/19 4:55 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
No, I just want to get the bumper sticker, Facebook profile picture and go to the clinics to yell “murderer” to young ladies. That makes me feel like a good Christian.

Just as snide.....

I always thought that helped a whole lot! (NOT)
That has always seemed so pathetic to me, yelling Murderer at a kid who is confused enough already. There must be a better way for Christians to do it. Shocked Embarassed
1/27/19 5:36 pm

Post I am amiss! I apologize. Cojak
Years ago Charlie Hugh Matthews introduced us to his sister in Gastonia, NC. She had dedicated her home to unwed mothers. We moved away and that slipped thru the cracks. We will remedy that when we get back. Since we went on the road we just lost contact and stopped contributing. Gotta fix that. I hope she is still operating there.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
1/27/19 8:33 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Cojak wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
No, I just want to get the bumper sticker, Facebook profile picture and go to the clinics to yell “murderer” to young ladies. That makes me feel like a good Christian.

Just as snide.....

I always thought that helped a whole lot! (NOT)
That has always seemed so pathetic to me, yelling Murderer at a kid who is confused enough already. There must be a better way for Christians to do it. Shocked Embarassed

The thing is, the media will jump all over that making it look like all Christians go to Westboro Baptist.
Acts-pert Poster
1/27/19 10:32 pm

Post UncleJD
As you pointed out already, and as was glaringly obvious in the presidential election a few years ago. Christians (and Republicans) out-give their counterparts in nearly every way. The "you don't care about babies after they're born" is false. Of course conservatives feel like its the repsonsibility of the family and not the state to care for children or anyone else, that's the definition of conservatism. But we do give WAY more of our personal incomes than the left. I propose that to counter the "you don't care about babies after they're born" argument, we should start a movement to demand that adoption cost less for deserving families than an abortion. Why should it cost so much less to abort a baby than adopt one? If they're not going to outlaw it, tax it. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/28/19 9:26 am

Post Yesterday...someone said there have been 60 million abortions Aaron Scott
Do we suppose that the Church would have taken care of those 60 million children?

Ideally, we WOULD. But on a practical note, CAN we?

Ideally, I guess we talk the mothers into being...mothers.

On the other hand, as Eddie put it, if only a fraction of those born will go to heaven, but ALL the aborted babies will go there, it muddies the water even further.

I suspect we don't really believe in heaven as much as we claim. Or hell.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/28/19 10:03 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The fact that babies who die go to Heaven in no way justifies abortion on demand. Good grief what a crock. One may as well argue for mass infanticide as somehow spiritually superior to letting children grow up to adulthood. If that were truly the better way, don’t you think God would himself have pursued it and just not let anyone live to become morally accountable?

The reason babies who die go to Heaven isn’t that they were aborted; the reason they go to Heaven is because God is righteous, holy, good and perfect love, which by the way is the same reason anyone is ultimately damned.

Anyway God certainly has always preferred that people grow to the point where they can actually freely choose to love Him and reject the lies of the Adversary.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/19 10:20 am

Post Re: Yesterday...someone said there have been 60 million abortions UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
Do we suppose that the Church would have taken care of those 60 million children?

Ideally, we WOULD. But on a practical note, CAN we?

Ideally, I guess we talk the mothers into being...mothers.

On the other hand, as Eddie put it, if only a fraction of those born will go to heaven, but ALL the aborted babies will go there, it muddies the water even further.

I suspect we don't really believe in heaven as much as we claim. Or hell.

even if this were sound thinking on the matter, you're not taking into consideration that fact that for most every abortion, there is at least one, if not more murderers made, so there's that problem.

The other argument I've heard (and considered if I'm being honest), is that its the left (sinners, unbelievers, evil people), doing this, so let them go ahead and cut off their own inheritance and let the church multiply theirs. One of the problems with this take is that, at least today, the Church in America shares the same low opinion of family as the culture they live in. They see children as a burden and don't value large families as they once did. Then the obvious issue is that murder is wrong, no matter who is murdering who.

Last edited by UncleJD on 1/28/19 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/28/19 10:37 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Let me see if I got the argument correct: If you aren't going to be taken care of properly - or more correctly - if church folks don't take care of you - it is ok to kill you? Is that right?

Perhaps anyone coming to America to get a better life should be gunned down as they cross the border.
All kids in poverty - exterminated.
All nursing homes - make them gas chambers.
Venezuela - nuke 'em now.

All morally equivalent in my book. But, somehow, if Christians don't take care of all of their needs - we are to blame. We force the Democrats hands to do what they did in NY.

Poppycock.
1/28/19 10:38 am

Post UncleJD
I guess that was a mic-drop from NBF Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/29/19 9:11 am

Post Cojak
The country cannot legislate Morality, however it can legislate immorality. WE are faced with lots of tough decisions as Christians, what is our responsibility? My responsibility is NOT to support immorality, but to teach Jesus Christ and him Crucified.

I refuse to do as Eddie points out, Men and women screaming Murderer at anyone. I know my JOB is to teach life is precious. To find a way to talk to someone who has committed or allowed this 'murder'and explain that Jesus FORGIVES!

Other than disdain for the NY law, or the SCOTUS decision, what is my responsibility here in the USA, according to scripture in the USA?
1/29/19 11:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Cojak wrote:

I refuse to do as Eddie points out, Men and women screaming Murderer at anyone. I know my JOB is to teach life is precious. To find a way to talk to someone who has committed or allowed this 'murder'and explain that Jesus FORGIVES!

I agree that yelling at people is probably not going to help.

However, the fact that you put the word ‘murder’ in inverted commas seems to indicate you do not view it as murder. Insisting that abortion is not murder is precisely the point on which the entire pro-abortion argument rests. One absolutely must settle that question in their mind before they can think about what they should do about it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/30/19 12:25 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic