Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

It's time to allow COG pastors to pastor outside the movement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post It's time to allow COG pastors to pastor outside the movement roughridercog
It's an idea whose time has come. What is wrong with allowing our ministers to preach the Gospel where the opportunity presents itself?
As long as the doctrine being preached is not heretical or against COG doctrine what is the harm? We have men and women desiring to minister buy there are no opportunities for them within the denomination in that area. But what if they feel called to that area? If an opportunity to minister or pastor comes in that area, what is the harm in allowing it?
Here is another wrinkle. We have men and women who labor with no pay or even end up paying church expenses out of their own pockets. If an opportunity comes to work in the Kingdom of God arises that will not only give them great opportunities but enable them to draw a salary that will enable them to meet their families needs, why not allow them to do so? I don't see the problem if the church or organization is not contrary to church doctrine.

What possible objections could there be?
Why so afraid to do so?
Is it a control issue?

I look forward to discussion on this issue.

Last edited by roughridercog on 4/7/19 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Mod
1/19/19 4:32 pm

Post Re: It's time to allow COG pastors to pastor outside the movement Dean Steenburgh
roughridercog wrote:
It's an idea whose time has come. What is wrong with allowing our ministers to preach the Gospel where the opportunity presents itself?
As long as the doctrine being preached is not heretical or against COG doctrine what is the harm? We have men and women desiring to minister buy there are no opportunities for them within the denomination in that area. But what if they feel called to that area? If an opportunity to minister or pastor comes in that area, what is the harm in allowing it?
Here is another wrinkle. We have men and women who labor with no pay or even end up paying church expenses out of their own pockets. If an opportunity comes to work in the Kingdom of God arises that will not only give them great opportunities but enable them to draw a salary that will enable them to meet their families needs, why not allow them to do so? I don't see the problem if the church or organization is not contrary to church doctrine.

Why so afraid to do so?
Is it a control issue?

When Dr. Lynn Stone appointed me to this church back in 1998 I didn't have creds with the CoG & in fact I didn't even have an application in the state office for consideration to become a CoG minister.
I pastored this church for 24 months (2 years) with A/G creds & it was only when I brought it to the attn of the state office that we finally made the switch.

If it works like that from time to time I don't know what would inhibit a CoG guy ministering outside the denom.
But I happen to know that some do.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
1/19/19 5:04 pm

Post Re: It's time to allow COG pastors to pastor outside the movement roughridercog
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

Why so afraid to do so?
Is it a control issue?

When Dr. Lynn Stone appointed me to this church back in 1998 I didn't have creds with the CoG & in fact I didn't even have an application in the state office for consideration to become a CoG minister.
I pastored this church for 24 months (2 years) with A/G creds & it was only when I brought it to the attn of the state office that we finally made the switch.

If it works like that from time to time I don't know what would inhibit a CoG guy ministering outside the denom.
But I happen to know that some do.

It used to be that if you did it you could have your papers pulled for "disloyalty" but in latter years they came up with catch all phrases with no definition like "sowing seeds of discord" or the timed honored "insubordination."

But what is the root cause?
Is it a control issue or is it something larger?
1/19/19 5:23 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I always figured it had to do with loyalty and the minister’s tithes. If you allow a CoG minister to pastor a non-CoG, his personal tithes never make it past the local church level. Maybe if they set it up to where he could send his tithes into the CoG, that might work, but I would imagine it could be difficult to enforce that.

Funny thing is, when I was in the AG, they usually had little problem with an AG minister pastoring an independent church, so long as he upheld AG doctrine and sent in his appropriate amount of personal tithes into the AG at the sectional, district, and national level. However, an AG evangelist had to get permission from the sectional presbyter and local AG pastor if he wanted to preach a revival in a non-AG church. So on this issue, the AG does things exactly opposite to how the CoG does it.

I think it all comes down to perceived denominational disloyalty and to where the minister’s tithes are paid.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/19/19 5:36 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
I know an A/G guy who was invited to preach at a Baptist church in Texas & they loved him so much he was eventually hired.
They know the doctrinal issues are different but they love the guy & Springfield says it's a great fit for both parties.

What are you focused on?
1/19/19 5:48 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
I wonder if Jentezen Franklin has ever been under any denominational pressure to give up one of his denominationally issued creds, if in fact that still exists?

What are you focused on?
1/19/19 5:58 pm

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I always figured it had to do with loyalty and the minister’s tithes. If you allow a CoG minister to pastor a non-CoG, his personal tithes never make it past the local church level. Maybe if they set it up to where he could send his tithes into the CoG, that might work, but I would imagine it could be difficult to enforce that.

Funny thing is, when I was in the AG, they usually had little problem with an AG minister pastoring an independent church, so long as he upheld AG doctrine and sent in his appropriate amount of personal tithes into the AG at the sectional, district, and national level. However, an AG evangelist had to get permission from the sectional presbyter and local AG pastor if he wanted to preach a revival in a non-AG church. So on this issue, the AG does things exactly opposite to how the CoG does it.

I think it all comes down to perceived denominational disloyalty and to where the minister’s tithes are paid.

Do the Minutes still say the minister should pay tithes where his/her membership is? It says nothing though of the spouse. They can tithe where they choose I guess.
1/19/19 6:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The Jentezen Franklin deal is strange indeed. My thought is, if we’re going to allow a CoG-credentialed minister like Franklin (nothing against him, and personally I’m fine with allowing a CoG minister to pastor a non-CoG church), to pastor a non-CoG church, we really should allow all CoG ministers to do so, provided the state overseer is okay with it, of course.

That said, if they allow this as a rule, I could easily see it becoming an issue where, at the first sign of trouble, or even on a whim, CoG ministers just jump over to, say, a local credential issued by the non-CoG church they are pastoring. Of course, they could have done that to begin with when they took a position at a non-CoG church.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/19/19 7:32 pm

Post Cojak
From the pew I completely agree with the spirit of the OP. The idea, the plan, the purpose of ministry is to win souls to the Kingdom.
I know that at least one of the administrative officials, after retirement, has been an associate pastor or co-pastor of an independent church. I have it second hand, just one away from the source he offered to tender his papers, but the general office said they would not accept them, continue as is.

WE make exceptions at certain levels, and the members that realize this, and many pastors have a problem with it. I would like to see a level playing field for our COG preachers who are sacrificing to stay in the COG.

Yeah my 2 pennies..... Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/19/19 7:39 pm

Post My dad will be serving as interim pastor at an AG Aaron Scott
My dad is a retired Church of God minister. But an Assembly of God in town is losing its pastor (moving on, etc.) The AG equivalent of our District Overseers advised the church that any interim pastor needed to have zero ambitions of pastoring. Since my dad has preached there before, they reached out to him since they not only like his preaching, but know that he has zero designs on beginning to pastor again).

So for the next few weeks, he'll just be handling the preaching/teaching for an Assembly of God. Oddly enough, the pastor that is leaving is from a Church of God family, and his wife went to Lee.

Indeed, I agree with RR. We have ministers that can't find a Church of God to pastor. So long as they aren't standing down on doctrine, let them preach, pastor, serve with anyone who needs them.

Stephen Conn, from what many of us consider Church of God royalty, most recently pastored a Baptist Church (however, I don't believe Bro. Conn is formally Church of God, even if those are his roots). I have to believe that that church was enormously blessed by having someone who knew how to diplomatically serve in a non-Pentecostal church, without tossing any Pentecostal distinctives that he holds.

Maybe, if they aren't paying tithes to the Church of God while serving in another church, such ministers could (assuming it's really that big of a deal) just send in a flat-amount every month (minimal, since he would presumably be paying tithes at the church where he serves).

I'm with you, RR!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/19/19 7:42 pm

Post These are all good thoughts roughridercog
On the other side, what would the cons be to allowing it?
1/19/19 9:47 pm

Post sheepdogandy
My wife's cousin ( a credentialed CoG man) pastored a United Methodist church for a good while. No blowback from his State Overseeer.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/20/19 10:25 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
sheepdogandy wrote:
My wife's cousin ( a credentialed CoG man) pastored a United Methodist church for a good while. No blowback from his State Overseeer.

As it is right now, it basically depends on the permission of the state overseer.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/20/19 10:41 am

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:

As it is right now, it basically depends on the permission of the state overseer.

That, in my opinion, is too much leeway. There needs to be a policy in writing that frees up our men and women for ministry no matter where it may be.
1/20/19 11:53 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Given our hierarchical structure in the CoG, I can’t see how the state overseer wouldn’t have to be in the picture, and ultimately in charge over all ministers in his state, regardless of what changes might be made in the Minutes. Even in the AG, ministers answer to their district superintendent (the equivalent of a CoG state overseer).

Are you suggesting there be no oversight of CoG ministers who minister outside the CoG?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/20/19 12:00 pm

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Given our hierarchical structure in the CoG, I can’t see how the state overseer wouldn’t have to be in the picture, and ultimately in charge over all ministers in his state, regardless of what changes might be made in the Minutes. Even in the AG, ministers answer to their district superintendent (the equivalent of a CoG state overseer).

Are you suggesting there be no oversight of CoG ministers who minister outside the CoG?

Should an AB have grounds to revoke the credentials of a minister because he/she is in a position in a church outside the movement? How about teaching in a Bible college or seminary? Where is the line?
1/20/19 12:04 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I was looking at it with regard to pastoring, and I would have to assume that a CoG pastor would have gotten approval from his SO to pastor outside the CoG, and would still ultimately answer to his state overseer even if he pastors a non-CoG church.

I do know of several CoG ministers who teach at non-CoG colleges and/or seminaries. Not sure why the CoG would have any problem with that, so long as they stayed true to official CoG doctrine. Then again, from what I hear, Lee professors are not required to unequivocally affirm CoG doctrine on every point.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/20/19 12:35 pm

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I was looking at it with regard to pastoring, and I would have to assume that a CoG pastor would have gotten approval from his SO to pastor outside the CoG, and would still ultimately answer to his state overseer even if he pastors a non-CoG church.

I do know of several CoG ministers who teach at non-CoG colleges and/or seminaries. Not sure why the CoG would have any problem with that, so long as they stayed true to official CoG doctrine. Then again, from what I hear, Lee professors are not required to unequivocally affirm CoG doctrine on every point.

I don't know if this is true, Can anyone substantiate that we had COG men teaching at Swaggarts college during his trouble and they were told they would have to leave it by officials?
1/21/19 12:05 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
I agree 100% that it's time... but the truth is, it has been going on for years. It just depends on if the AB or COG wants to stop you or make an example out of you. We had a guy in Illinois whose father pastored in the state for years and he became credentialed himself. He was MOM but could not find a paying job anywhere in the COG unless he wanted to move to the West Coast. He was offered a job in the Quad Cities at an independent church, which he accepted. He continued to report to the COG, but after a few months he received a call from the then AB of the state and was told he was to resign his position or surrender his credentials. I was the DO in this area at that time and he called me. I called the AB and he told me that "it simply is not allowed." I called to his attention that we had two ministers in the state who were pastoring independent churches in the Danville area and I was told that it was none of my concern and to stay out of it. It's not right. Why are some allowed and others not allowed? I'd love to hear a good answer to that, but I know it will not be coming. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/22/19 3:27 pm

Post JLarry
Some years ago I went to the AB and talked to him about pastoring again. He found out we were not attending a CoG and said he could not help me as long as I did not attend a CoG. I reminded him that Jentezen Franklin was pastoring a non CoG church and was elected to the Executive Council.

I started attending a CoG and still no help. I reminded him that he promised to help me. He rose from his desk got in my face and said: "don't think you can come into my office and intimidate me into getting you a church". I said: "it is not my intention to intimidate you I am only reminding you of your promise. You are the AB, you call the shots. Have a good day sir", and I turned and walked away. Never went back to HIS office.

Its all about who you are, who you know, who you are related or what the AB mood the AB is in.

As for me personally I have come to the place I don't care. By that I mean it does not effect me anymore. I care for those who are credentialed CoG ministers who gets a chance and is shot down by an AB.

I remember when I was Ordained. I took pride in those credentials. Now it means nothing to me. I hate to say this, but I have seen far to much to concern myself with an AB with an attitude. I have served under some of the best AB's but a few I have had to pray over.

BTW, my state once again has a good AB.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
1/22/19 4:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic