Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

It's time to allow COG pastors to pastor outside the movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Da Sheik
The Bible has quite a bit to say about having differing standards. The scriptures also say “do nothing by partiality”. The COG has long been known for its “divers weights” and nepotism. The church (just like the world) operates under the mantra “it’s all who you know”.

Darrell, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Don’t burn any bridges, just in case God leads you back this way again. Godspeed my friend !
Acts Enthusiast
2/12/19 6:05 pm

Post FLRon
roughridercog wrote:
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Allow me to clarify a couple of things about my post above. Some have apparently felt that I was attacking my AB and the COG. That was not my intention. I am simply voicing my extreme frustration. If I did not love my AB and the Church of God, I'd just walk away quietly. What is to be gained by going out throwing darts? I understand that the Minutes does not allow room for men to serve outside the COG. My AB stands by the Minutes, and I can respect that. My issue is that This AB chooses to follow the Minutes and another does not. This should be universal. I thought that was the purpose of Roughrider's post which started this. We either need to adhere to this or remove it from the Minutes entirely. The Bible speaks of a double-minded man and taking liberty with that passage, I'll say it speaks to our denomination. We cannot have it both ways, and it needs to be enforced across the board or removed from our Minutes. Just my opinion. You can agree or disagree, but THAT is the intent of my post above. I wrestled with commenting on this for nearly 2 weeks before deciding to do so. I'm sorry some took it as an attack on my AB and/or the COG. That was and is not my intention at all.

That was the exact point of my original post. We can debate this until the cows come home, but let's own up to one thing: All men are not treated equally.
If one man is allowed to pastor a church outside of the movement while another may be villainized or even lose his credentials, then there is one word to describe this.
Discrimination.

You are correct. Discrimination is widespread in the cog, just as I suppose it is in other denominations. As I was told by a former head of the ministerial care office, the cog is guilty of abandoning many of its ministers along the side of the road when they have had to deal with some very difficult life issues.

Whether the issue is the current subject matter, alcohol and drug abuse, divorce, or any one of many other issues, there is indeed a double standard within the cog. Once you have experienced it, you will never feel the same way about the denomination again.

Praise God that He sees and knows our hearts!
2/12/19 8:41 pm

Post God puts overseers in office I tell you what Judge Roy Bean
Whatever they do has God's approval, just like it is in my court. To fight against the government and standard of the Minutes and those who adhere to it is to fight against God's perfect will.
If our officials want to do something, then let them. After all, they are the ones on the bench and a wearing the robes. Just like me, if I put a fella in the bear cage, it's cause he a guilty felon. If a fella tries to pastor a church that ain't with us, then they must be a wicked desperado.
Get a rope.
I have a second bear cage.

Let's administrate some west of the Pecos justice.
2/13/19 9:28 am

Post Looks like Acts amnesty has kicked in roughridercog
Who else is going to show up? Can OTCP be far behind?
2/13/19 9:38 am

Post Darrell Garrett
Maybe BVCOG? Very Happy Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/13/19 6:30 pm

Post 2ndgeneration
I haven't read through all the post here. But let me say a couple of things.

1. State Overseers are like pastors. Some are good. Some are not. Just like you cannot put all pastors in the same category, neither can you do the same with state overseers. I have served as both. It is my heart and desire to do what is right and treat everyone equally and with respect. I think that most overseers are like that.

2. There are many COG ministers who pastor churches outside our movement. I have no problem with that as long as they remain faithful to our doctrine and continue to report as a credentialed minister and stay in contact with their state overseer. Sometimes there are just not enough churches for every COG minister to fill. I had one guy who was pastoring a non COG church but had held credentials and pastored in the COG for many years prior. He wanted to pastor in the COG but there was no opportunity. He had been instructed to submit his credentials. He contacted me and I requested for his credentials to be reinstated and they were. He continued to pastor this non denominational church. We finally had a church to come open and he now pastors again in the COG and is doing a good job there.
Acts Enthusiast
2/20/19 11:53 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.” Acts 5:29 Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/21/19 12:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic