Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

ministerial program suggested allowing gay leaders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Go for it! Mat
UncleJD wrote:
Mat,
Is your advice for hiding the true reason for terminating or not hiring gays conveyed at any official program in your state, either by you or by others? Since your opinion mirrors at least one of the scenarios I was given then I'm curious.

Also, do you honestly believe that churches can continue to just hide the true reasons? Should they (I don't think so)? If/when you are taken to court over it, what then? Continue to deny? Isn't that a lie?

I really think the window for fighting this is now. I think the tactic of deny and delay will play right into the enemies' hands.

There are a great number of reasons for terminating employment. The issue, at least to me, is how we handle the termination. Hiding or covering up is not my intention, rather it is protecting the church and ministry from costly lawsuits and negative public image.

If you what to make a stand by publicly terminating an employee for homosexuality or drug use or adultery where you pastor, go for it. You may need to start a legal defense fund because your insurance company may not pay your legal fees with such a employment policy. Likewise, you want to tell a applicant you're not going to hire them because of their lifestyle, even if in every other way they meet your job description, tell them and see if there are any repercussions.

Jesus did say to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves." I will point out the pastor who makes a public stand against a homosexual he unknowingly hired reveals his lack of discernment in the first place.

So what is the policy at the church you pastor?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/19 11:23 am

Post UncleJD
I said nothing about inviting it by making some announcement to the public the reason (as you said, none need be given). I'm merely asking if anyone is actively suggesting/counseling/instructing the practice of hiding the reasons when asked outright either by the applicant or by the public or officials (or in the other scenario, God forbid, letting them have the job). As for the "public stand", again, that is not being debated at all (at least not by me), I simply mean that when the reason is either known or suspected by the person in question, is it wise or even ethical to deny it? Maybe a "public stand" becomes necessary AFTER such a law suit is started, but again no need to make a "public stand" beforehand since that would be more self-aggrandizement . All that said, knowing that it is inevitable, what is the denomination's policy in how its answered? Is there one? Are local governing bodies making policy one way or another or not at all? Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/17/19 11:43 am

Post Mat
UncleJD wrote:
I said nothing about inviting it by making some announcement to the public the reason (as you said, none need be given). I'm merely asking if anyone is actively suggesting/counseling/instructing the practice of hiding the reasons when asked outright either by the applicant or by the public or officials (or in the other scenario, God forbid, letting them have the job). As for the "public stand", again, that is not being debated at all (at least not by me), I simply mean that when the reason is either known or suspected by the person in question, is it wise or even ethical to deny it? Maybe a "public stand" becomes necessary AFTER such a law suit is started, but again no need to make a "public stand" beforehand since that would be more self-aggrandizement . All that said, knowing that it is inevitable, what is the denomination's policy in how its answered? Is there one? Are local governing bodies making policy one way or another or not at all?

I would say the same thing on the exit interview I have said to Youth Pastors, Ministers of Music, Daycare Directors and other employees, "we (the church, or the board, or the committee, or the Daycare, etc) feel we need to go a different direction concerning your position and we can no longer employee you. We have arranged for your severance pay, including vacation days due, to be ready for you today at the end of this meeting." Of course this is the language used with those you want gone off the property at the end of the meeting.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/19 12:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic