Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

When Big Brother forces you to work without pay (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post When Big Brother forces you to work without pay (L) Dave Dorsey
This is a good article, IMO -- and hopefully we'll see some court rulings or legislation correcting this:

Quote:

First of all, I’d like to point out that this question has nothing to do with politics, or at least it shouldn’t. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a Republican, Democrat or independent. You can support the wall or oppose it, love the President or hate him. This is a basic question of human decency [and] fundamental rights.

We have people at the TSA and air traffic controllers at our nation’s airports (among others) who are being told they have to continue showing up for work and are getting paychecks worth precisely zero dollars. It’s true that each of these workers will have all of their pay restored to them when they eventually return to work, but that’s not the issue here. When you tell American citizens that they have no choice but to show up for work and then you don’t pay them, that practice is virtually indistinguishable from slavery.

But if the government is allowed to tell workers that their jobs are “too valuable” or “too critical” to have them stay home, the workers should have an easy answer. If that’s the case, then we are too valuable for you not to pay us. The United States government currently runs on a policy where they are allowed to take thousands of workers and temporarily turn them into the equivalent of indentured servants. This policy should be changed as soon as Congress manages to get off its butt and return to work.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/01/15/big-brother-forces-work-without-pay/
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/19 8:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
They can quit and get a new job.

Putting faith in the govt. - I could have told them that was a bad idea.

In seriousness, I thought essential personnel were still getting paid.
1/15/19 8:19 am

Post Dave Dorsey
That's true, they can quit and get a new job -- but that's not a win for anyone either, them or their organization when it eventually gets funded again.

Essential personnel are working without pay if they work at organizations affected by the shutdown. Personnel at funded organizations (essential and non-essential) are being paid. For example, DoD is funded through the end of the FY and is completely untouched by the shutdown.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/19 8:38 am

Post Yes, its too bad there are no perfect jobs UncleJD
In the private sector, you can get laid off/fired in most states for no reason. You can get pay cuts for no reason. You can get forced furloughs without any recourse (happens to me usually around Christmas). So there are numerous risks one must take and accept to have an at-will employment in the private sector.

In the public sector, there are MUCH fewer risks, but unfortunately, federal budgets is the big one. That can and does happen from time to time, but fortunately, they will eventually get paid (unless their dept is cut).

Its unfortunate, but this is the nature of it.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/15/19 10:11 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Yes - they can always quit. No one is saying otherwise.

However, under no circumstances should an employer be able to require attendance and work without pay. If they're essential and must work, pay them. If they are non-essential and can be furloughed, furlough them. If employees are not happy being furloughed and want to quit and get new jobs, then they should do so.

But no one should be required to work without pay as a condition of continued employment when funding resumes. Period.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/19 10:16 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Yes - they can always quit. No one is saying otherwise.

However, under no circumstances should an employer be able to require attendance and work without pay. If they're essential and must work, pay them. If they are non-essential and can be furloughed, furlough them. If employees are not happy being furloughed and want to quit and get new jobs, then they should do so.

But no one should be required to work without pay as a condition of continued employment when funding resumes. Period.

Thousands of my coworkers and I were specifically asked to work without pay for Christmas this year. Its a private company, they could have just fired a few hundred of us instead, so I was glad to do it. I sympathize with the TSA workers, but they signed on knowing the risk. They will eventually be paid (more than I can say for my friends and I).
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/15/19 10:35 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
They will eventually be paid (more than I can say for my friends and I).

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more of this in the news. If someone was going to attack the shutdown from the standpoint of human empathy/interest, contractors are in a MUCH worse place than federal workers.

Federal workers might get a hit on their credit report for being late on the mortgage, but they'll be able to catch up as soon as they get their backpay. Contractors will remain behind indefinitely. But I've seen almost nothing in the news about contractors. The NYT had a short piece over the weekend, but that's it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/19 10:40 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
They will eventually be paid (more than I can say for my friends and I).

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more of this in the news. If someone was going to attack the shutdown from the standpoint of human empathy/interest, contractors are in a MUCH worse place than federal workers.

Federal workers might get a hit on their credit report for being late on the mortgage, but they'll be able to catch up as soon as they get their backpay. Contractors will remain behind indefinitely. But I've seen almost nothing in the news about contractors. The NYT had a short piece over the weekend, but that's it.

Where is your empathy for the families of the 4000 people killed by illegal immigrants last year? I thought you'd at least feel empathy for the non-white victims.
1/15/19 10:45 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Where is your empathy for the families of the 4000 people killed by illegal immigrants last year? I thought you'd at least feel empathy for the non-white victims.

Pretty ugly stuff, RS.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/19 10:49 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Pretty ugly stuff, RS.

You should know.
1/15/19 11:00 am

Post Cojak
I know I sound unsympathetic, I really don't mean to be because I do sympathize with the situation. BUT WE ALL KNOW IT IS TEMPORARY. Comparing this to slavery is a STRETCH! Slavery you can be punished physically even killed at the SLAVERs will.

If the TSA worker (or any worker) doesn't like the AGREEMENT, it is most likely they wouldn't lose their jobs to begin with.

This ls like saying the DRAFT in WWII was forced labor, forced pay cuts etc.

Understandings, choices and agreements ARE NOT SLAVERY by any stretch of the imagination. Slavery there is NO CHOICE but possibly life or death! Confused Confused Confused Shocked Shocked Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/15/19 11:32 am

Post It is the price that is paid for the perks of a federal job Aaron Scott
You will recall that Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. When a person has a federal job (with all the perks that involves), part of the downside is that, yes, you can be susceptible to the back and forth of politics.

As for me, I would at least find a way to give a partial supplement to them--or a tax break, etc. No one should have to lose their housing, etc.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/15/19 12:19 pm

Post Re: It is the price that is paid for the perks of a federal job Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
You will recall that Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. When a person has a federal job (with all the perks that involves), part of the downside is that, yes, you can be susceptible to the back and forth of politics.

As for me, I would at least find a way to give a partial supplement to them--or a tax break, etc. No one should have to lose their housing, etc.

I have been a land lord, like many friends and property managers, if you have a good tenant, you bend a lot to keep them. Most managers have some leeway. They also know this is not permanent.

Loan payments, no one likes to miss a payment, but there again it the record is good, no one will foreclose for one missed payment me thinks.

In the majority of cases this situation is WELL KNOWN and unless a land lord or lender is looking for a reason to move someone most likely there will be tolerance.

Of course having dealt with civil service workers, I KNOW first hand how hard it is for them to LOSE a job. The jobs and back pay will be there eventually. during that time many are working for cash on fill in jobs.

I am just wondering who is going to give........... The media can find a case for their position I am sure, that the country if gong down the tubes, etc. I am not convinced yet! JMO
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/15/19 10:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic