Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Galatians and Andy Stanley

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Galatians and Andy Stanley Nature Boy Florida
I don't want to rehash the "Andy said to ditch the 10 Commandments - he didn't really say to ditch them - just the Old Covenant". That type of stuff seems to follow Andy around. I think he likes it that way.

But I did want to point out someone that did seem to say the same thing: Paul, in the letter to the Galatians. He rips folks up one side and down he other regarding why they would want to be in the Old Covenant when they have the New Covenant - and he seems to say it eliminated the Old Covenant.

The 600+ laws, the 10 Commandments, lists of sins to avoid...all that seemed to be over with.

Yet - after making that case - in Galatians 5 - he then makes a list of sins that Christians - if they are being led by the Spirit - will avoid.

See for yourself:

Quote:
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 [b]The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

To me he says:

There are no longer rules to follow - that's slavery - here's your list of rules that you follow - or you don't inherit the kingdom.

What shall we say then?
1/15/19 8:02 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic