Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Church membership pros or cons of any

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Church membership pros or cons of any JLarry
The church we attend does not have a membership roll. I have considered suggesting to the pastor that we start one.

Would like to hear your thoughts about membership rolls. The pros or cons (if any).

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/29/18 12:13 pm

Post Re: Church membership pros or cons of any UncleJD
JLarry wrote:
The church we attend does not have a membership roll. I have considered suggesting to the pastor that we start one.

Would like to hear your thoughts about membership rolls. The pros or cons (if any).

The "con" is the con of keeping you on their roll long after you've left, its a total con.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/29/18 12:26 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
A lot of it comes down to the power to vote, and who exactly is allowed to vote on decisions of the local body. I suppose one could hold a vote that included everybody who showed up to vote, but would that be fair to those who were actually committed to and supportive of the local church? My guess is, a church with no membership roll or membership requirements is probably just being run by the pastor and his family as he sees fit. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/29/18 12:43 pm

Post FLRon
I am pro membership as long as membership actually means something. If I can be a member of your church and show up once every couple of months,no thanks. If I can be a member and not be held accountable in my financial support,no thanks. If I can be a member and subscribe to an assortment of doctrines,no thanks.

Way back in the day when I was a clerk,the S.O. called me to tell me to have 2 membership rolls available before he took the vote for our new pastor. Unbeknownst to the members who were present,only tithe paying members votes actually counted. That was when I started wondering if membership matters.
Anyway,it does to me.
12/29/18 4:28 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A lot of it comes down to the power to vote, and who exactly is allowed to vote on decisions of the local body. ...

Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/29/18 7:05 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Our members carry the title of "Stewards".

Kind of sums it up in one word.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/31/18 1:07 pm

Post Quite wrote JLarry
Quote:
A lot of it comes down to the power to vote, and who exactly is allowed to vote on decisions of the local body. I suppose one could hold a vote that included everybody who showed up to vote, but would that be fair to those who were actually committed to and supportive of the local church? My guess is, a church with no membership roll or membership requirements is probably just being run by the pastor and his family as he sees fit.

Very good point.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
1/1/19 11:35 am

Post Membership only means something Dunamis007
In a Presbyterian style of govt. The avg. COG govt has no incentive for membership. Your vote is non essential to how decisions made so why join?

Other govt. styles like the way the AOG does it or the Presbyterian church does it, have incentives to become a member. Choosing a pastor, going into debt, building a new church etc are prerogatives of members in those types of church govt. and are very good reasons to become one. Of course belonging to a church family has benefits beyond decision making and are worthy reasons to belong but without any attached decision making it seems less important, whether or not that is true.
1/1/19 2:05 pm

Post Re: Membership only means something Cojak
Dunamis007 wrote:
In a Presbyterian style of govt. The avg. COG govt has no incentive for membership. Your vote is non essential to how decisions made so why join?

Other govt. styles like the way the AOG does it or the Presbyterian church does it, have incentives to become a member. Choosing a pastor, going into debt, building a new church etc are prerogatives of members in those types of church govt. and are very good reasons to become one. Of course belonging to a church family has benefits beyond decision making and are worthy reasons to belong but without any attached decision making it seems less important, whether or not that is true.

Dun007 I liked that comment. The latter part is very important to the young marrieds and the seniors. One of my fondest memories was as a member of the Biloxi, MS COG. My wife and I still look at that time like FAMILY TIME.

Over the years COG people somehow thought they owned their church and felt their votes actually counted and neither was an actual fact. Now the younger members know more, and it does concern them. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/1/19 9:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic