Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Good discussion question--What good does it do to pray for someone?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Good discussion question--What good does it do to pray for someone? roughridercog
For example, their salvation, when their own free will cancels out the prayer. Thought this would make interesting discussion.
12/20/18 1:21 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Great topic. My understanding, as one who affirms libertarian free will, is that we pray for the Holy Spirit to enlighten, convict, and influence the sinner to come to salvation in Christ, which is of course God’s will, in my view of the Scriptures. So while it does not override their free will, prayer definitely brings a more intense divine influence upon the one being prayed for. If prayer actually was just inconsequential, why would Jesus have prayed for his disciples, that their faith fail not, etc.?

Then again, from the deterministic point of view of, say, Calvinism or even traditional Arminianism, prayer is simply a predetermined means to a predetermined end. As one who affirms libertarian freedom, however, I don’t find predeterminism persuasive or satisfying philosophically.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/20/18 1:50 pm

Post Roughrider...just read this yesterday, I think... Aaron Scott
Someone was terminally ill, but instead of praying for themselves, they were praying for their unsaved neighbor/friend.

When the sick man died, his neighbor was told of the man's prayers for him. It touched the man's heart, and he gave his life to the Lord.

Sometimes, prayer demonstrates concern for someone. And sometimes that is very powerful.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/21/18 8:20 am

Post Re: Roughrider...just read this yesterday, I think... roughridercog
Aaron Scott wrote:
Someone was terminally ill, but instead of praying for themselves, they were praying for their unsaved neighbor/friend.

When the sick man died, his neighbor was told of the man's prayers for him. It touched the man's heart, and he gave his life to the Lord.

Sometimes, prayer demonstrates concern for someone. And sometimes that is very powerful.

That is so great to hear.

An area that I think about is praying for lost loved ones. We can pray for them, but what if they continually reject Christ. Our prayers can't make someone get saved.
12/21/18 11:26 am

Post JLarry
My son, now 48 yrs old has not been to church since his childhood. No interest in the things of God.

About 6 months ago he got up one Sunday morning and went to church. Now he is on fire for the Lord.

His mother and I prayed for many years for this to happen. Now he is trying to get our other son in church. In fact as I type this he is working on his brother. Even though he loves his church he has agreed to attend another church so his brother will go.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/23/18 9:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I know it will not satisfy a skeptic (nothing will, really), but there’s not a doubt in my mind that I would have never come back to God if not for the faithful, broken-hearted, love and prayers of my Dad during my stupid years of trying to run from God. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/23/18 10:35 am

Post Dean Steenburgh
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I know it will not satisfy a skeptic (nothing will, really), but there’s not a doubt in my mind that I would have never come back to God if not for the faithful, broken-hearted, love and prayers of my Dad during my stupid years of trying to run from God.

This gives me hope for my oldest son who is a wonderful man & who at one point felt a call on his life but influencers got in the way.
I covet your prayers for Joe & Ashley that God will make a way in their hearts & lives to turn their hearts back to Him.
I know for a fact Ashley's mom & dad would love that.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
12/23/18 12:12 pm

Post Cojak
JLarry wrote:
My son, now 48 yrs old has not been to church since his childhood. No interest in the things of God.

About 6 months ago he got up one Sunday morning and went to church. Now he is on fire for the Lord.

His mother and I prayed for many years for this to happen. Now he is trying to get our other son in church. In fact as I type this he is working on his brother. Even though he loves his church he has agreed to attend another church so his brother will go.

Love that my friend. SWEET! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/26/18 10:11 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I know it will not satisfy a skeptic (nothing will, really), but there’s not a doubt in my mind that I would have never come back to God if not for the faithful, broken-hearted, love and prayers of my Dad during my stupid years of trying to run from God.

I concur my friend. In my crazy atheistic condition, my dear wife, the only one who knew my condition, prayed silently for me for years. Never 'preached to me' just silently followed me over the world until 'her prayers' were answered.

I don't know the REAL WEIGHT of prayer, but it must be pretty high, I cannot explain it, but I do think it works.
May be, it is those sweet unassuming people who believe God Answers Prayer, and do not stop, that makes it work.
Any one here know Jimmy Cotter? My daddy told me Jimmy just could not leave the booze alone. He would come to church pray his heart out, last a month and get drunk. After a few times, Hubert Hall came to dad and said we need to go pray for Jimmy, his wife says he is drunk again. Daddy said he told Bro Hall, not again. He is impossible. I am not going. Bro Hall insisted and dad gave in. Jimmy was truly delivered that time and became a great worker for the Lord. Daddy always said after that, "I will never give up praying for someone, God showed me it is too important."

HUbert and Jimmy became ministers of the Gospel. I can't define what prayer does, but I am sure it works, doesn't it? Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/26/18 10:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic